Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '08 1100 has Cobra pipes and pops a lot at deceleration. I've seen how to do the AIS mod but had a quick question. Wouldn't simply feeding the hoses back into themselves (at AIS unit) do the same thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It may help stop the popping. However, doing the hoses that way will allow moisture to collect in the steel AIS pipes and they will rust out.....so you'll still end up taking it all off anyway.

The AIS removal really is more or less a bandaid fix for backfire on decel anyway. The carbs just need to be tuned for the new exhaust. Simply turn the pilot mixture screws out until the popping stops. Usually about 1/4 turn, maybe bit more.

Here's more info.....and follow the link at the bottom of the page to learn how to tune the PMS the right way....with the lean drop method.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning/backfire

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The AIS removal really is more or less a bandaid fix for backfire on decel anyway. The carbs just need to be tuned for the new exhaust. Simply turn the pilot mixture screws out until the popping stops. Usually about 1/4 turn, maybe bit more.
I bypassed the AIS and took it for a short ride. Yeah, lots of popping and backfiring going on. It's defintely a carb issue. I'm no expert in carbs but I'm pretty handy with tools and directions.

I'm going to put the AIS back to factory and I'll be taking your advice with the PMS.

Thank you for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts