Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at taking this unit off my bike as there are no emissions requirements here in Ontario, plus it would clean up the look instead of having that bulky canister and chrome lines running around the heads.

So, before I start taking everything apart I read on the attached article that if it is disabled/removed, it will reduce backfiring and pops from the exhaust on deceleration. Now, if that's the case that would suck as I put new Vance and Hines pipes on it last year and they sound awesome on deceleration. Ya, I like it loud haha.

Have any of you done this and if so have you noticed a difference on deceleration? I just can't see it having that much of an effect on that.

http://www.650ccnd.com/ais.htm

Thanks everyone,

Jon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell ya brother! Turning this into a bobber so I want to keep the sound I had this summer. Plus, getting rid of any unneccesary junk I can off of it. But, was just wondering if it eliminated it totally or just a bit. Can't remember what pipes I have, taking them off now so I'll get a better look.

Also, do you know the air pressure that goes through the manifold boot? The boot for cylinder 1 has a small rubber line that runs into the top of the AIS canister, but not the boot for cylinder 2. That one is a closed end rubber hose. Just wondering if I can cut the hose and put a brass plug in the end and a clamp. Don't want the thing to blow off on the road. But I can't see it being an incredible amount of psi.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Jon, the line in the #1 cylinder is for the AIS pump. This is what activates the pump. The pump works on vacuum pressure from that line. I can't really talk to getting the bike to backfire other than induce an air leak inthe exhaust system somehow. Hopefully someone will come along and talk to this.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Some pipes depending on the diameter will always makes some noise on decel. Quick test would be to remove your tool cover and loop the ais rubber lines. That will give you a better idea of how it will sound once the ais has been proper plugged

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to remove the unit. In doing so, snapped two screw heads and stripped one. That's fine since they are just holding the unit to the engine mount so I will just cut the heads off.

Now just to plug the holes in the head from the lines with something.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've decided to remove the unit. In doing so, snapped two screw heads and stripped one. That's fine since they are just holding the unit to the engine mount so I will just cut the heads off.

Now just to plug the holes in the head from the lines with something.
You can simply adjust the pilot mixture screws to either get rid of or induce a back fire. Keep turning them in 1/4 turn increments until you get what you want. You don't want to go too much or you'll get too lean at an idle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could do that but IMHO it would look ugly. You would be better off removing the elbows and plug the holes with 45 acp shells. Make the cylinders look much cleaner. If you can't get your hands on some, pm me with your address and I'll ship some to you.
That'd be awesome dude, I really appreciate that. Not to offend the previous post, but I do agree that wouldn't clean up the look. A couple of my co workers hunt so I can ask them tomorrow if they have any.

Now, in removing the elbows, is there anything specific I need to know? Any special lock-tite on those? Also in the process of removing the manifold studs and don't want to snap them. Been spraying them with deep lube everyday for a week now. They are pretty nasty so taking my time with that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can simply adjust the pilot mixture screws to either get rid of or induce a back fire. Keep turning them in 1/4 turn increments until you get what you want. You don't want to go too much or you'll get too lean at an idle.
Totally forgot about that, first bike haha. Thanks man.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Jon, if you go to the 1100 KB, you'll find a document there on how to remove the AIS. There's a good explanation on how to remove the elbows using a dustoff air can and penetrating oil. For the exhaust studs, be very patient with them. They are steel going into a aluminum cylinder and sure as s#$* they will have some corrosion on them. Don't ask how I found out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO in life what do you have time for? T and M I have half of each and do the best I can with what I have, and when something is the worst/ugly on my motor that is when I give it attention until then dont knock somebody for doing what they do. You never know what somebody else is going through.

·
Registered
98 Posts
AIS Removal/disable

THANKS TO ALL THESE POSTS!!!!! I've been tryin' to figger out why my 03 1100 Custom was backfiring on decal-now I think I have a way to resolve it!! This forum is my continuing education.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tonight, I did the AIS delete! I can't believe how easy it was! I managed to do it without having to remove the exhaust with some vice grips on the elbows. took me a little over an hour with modifying the brackets for the clutch cable and the fuse box. cleaned up the look of the bike so much!
Thanks Corsair for the casings!
The directions in the KB work great!
Time to go out and ride!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was struggling getting the elbows out so I left the tubes and rubber elbows in and plugged them for spark plugs temporarily.

Quick question is there only one vacuum line you have to plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts