Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have some time off and thought we would go somewhere. We get up this morning and load up the trailer we leave and get 200 miles away, we're in the middle of nowhere going 70 mph when I feel a slight wobble, mile or so later I think I feel another so I start looking around I then hear the motorcycle in my headset telling me to check air pressure. My rear was at 0 psi. I slowed to 45 and went about 4 more miles and found a old gas station. I pulled in and found a piece of steel in the tire. I pulled it out with the cheap tool set. I carry tire plugs although the glue was dried up. I put 2 plugs in the hole and aired it up. We are back on the road! No leaks! That is why I run a darkside RUNFLAT tire! We were both very happy we had that on today.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,627 Posts
Lucky it was the rear. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
nicely done!

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Glad it wasn’t any worse and you were able to continue. I carry a tire plug kit as well. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always find it interesting how such a large object can get lodged in a tire. Last year I picked up a 5/16 bolt in my rear tire. The bolt was about 3 inches long and it was buried in the tire. Needless to say tire was junk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

A long time ago I found that tire cement goes dry all the time. Nowadays, I carry a small bottle of rubber cement which lasts forever and you can use it liberally.

--

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
jamming a plug in a puncture is only a temporary fix

the tire needs to be removed and patch added on the inside in addition to the plug

dont wait till you get home, it might go flat suddenly while you are riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
jamming a plug in a puncture is only a temporary fix

the tire needs to be removed and patch added on the inside in addition to the plug

dont wait till you get home, it might go flat suddenly while you are riding.
--

I've had many of these "temporary fix" plugs last years on various cages. Only had one need on a mc tire, but the damage in that case was cracks spreading out from the hole. I just replaced that tire.

Now for a run flat car tire like the Bridgestone Driveguard, I wouldn't hesitate to use a plug, or several plugs, along with plenty of rubber cement to fill the hole. Then I would use about 16 oz. of Ride_On tire sealant which will seep into cracks and holes. Remember that if the plug didn't hold after that, then it still could be driven if totally flat.

An inside patch would be good, too, but it seems like I've heard of tire people that don't like them for some reason. Maybe they would work okay if the tire also had a tube pressing against the patch (but not against a plug).

--

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
--

I've had many of these "temporary fix" plugs last years on various cages. Only had one need on a mc tire, but the damage in that case was cracks spreading out from the hole. I just replaced that tire.

Now for a run flat car tire like the Bridgestone Driveguard, I wouldn't hesitate to use a plug, or several plugs, along with plenty of rubber cement to fill the hole. Then I would use about 16 oz. of Ride_On tire sealant which will seep into cracks and holes. Remember that if the plug didn't hold after that, then it still could be driven if totally flat.

An inside patch would be good, too, but it seems like I've heard of tire people that don't like them for some reason. Maybe they would work okay if the tire also had a tube pressing against the patch (but not against a plug).

--
I plan on asking a shop about repairing it. Either an independent or dealership but I'd rather take my chances on a plugged run flat than replace it with a MC tire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not recommending this ... but I've taken a plugged tire in my younger days north of 140 MPH on my trusty '94 CBR600F2 I had back then. Done right, they can and will last the life of the tire, as long as it's not in the sidewall.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have plugged many tires and never gave it a second thought. This tire was not punctured by a nail unless train spikes count. We stayed at a KOA, the bike had started leaking a lot of air during the night so I asked the owner if there was a local place to buy some tire glue. He opened up his personal shop, we removed my two unglued plugs and replaced them with 4 glued plugs. The plugs he had were not the hairy greasy plugs you buy at Walmart, they were individually wrapped rubberish plugs. We then did a leak test. No leak, that was two days and almost 1000 miles. So far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts