Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...hard, in not snow or cold to date...but 'hard' in that I have already paused in the garage, alongside our SVTC...'in Winter Sleep Mode', and have toyed with the idea, to back her out, fire her up, and hit some county roads around our 'digs'. I haven't ever done this in the past... Winter sleep...and that's that until Spring. There have been a few days of around 45F, and no 24 hours 'even' chance of snow.

The one thing they have already done, is the Road Crews have last night sometime, spread a light coating of rock salt. I guess to preempt their forecasting of some heavy duty chance for Lake Effect snow coming in from Lake Huron, heading east tonight. So...I resisted unplugging the Battery Tender lead...and doing that back out...

It's going to be (for me...) a looooooooooooooooooooooooong Winter Hiatus, I fear.... Yeah......

Joe

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
553 Posts
I relate to what you're saying Joe. I however, follow weather forecasts closely and wait for the right conditions to present themselves, then drop everything and ride.
It is always amazing and surreal to ride with the landscape covered in snow. I don't think I've missed a single month in four years.
Another benefit to that, is avoiding the Springtime noobness that occurs to a lot of us. So many accidents occur in the first "good" weather of the year.
You can always rinse any salt off and detail in the spring.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I relate to what you're saying Joe. I however, follow weather forecasts closely and wait for the right conditions to present themselves, then drop everything and ride.
It is always amazing and surreal to ride with the landscape covered in snow. I don't think I've missed a single month in four years.
Another benefit to that, is avoiding the Springtime noobness that occurs to a lot of us. So many accidents occur in the first "good" weather of the year.
You can always rinse any salt off and detail in the spring.
Jo, you say that you ride with snow or ice on the road? Salt too? WOW....I got light headed for a bit and had to sit down! LOL! You GO, rider!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is this winter thing that you talk of.:)
It happens (sneaks in) around Nov 20th, and plays with your mind...until around March 20th.....but we now know of one Cannuck that LAUGHS at Winter...well, on a motorcycle, and the name is Jo! :) I laugh at Winter too, riding a snowmobile on a groomed trail....but that is how far daring I go in those months....

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,217 Posts
They have salted here already. The worst spots for rot are the folds around the edges of the fenders. Most of the rest just washes off. The 08 has a little coming through from the back side of the fenders where they roll it over. I took a brush and some acid primer and tried to get it into the fold to stop it.

·
Registered
2014 V Star 1300 Tourer
17 Posts
I feel you’re pain, I used to live West of Detroit years ago & remember the harsh winters. Now I live in Southeast Louisiana where I can ride year round, the only trade off is hot/humid summers & hurricanes (flooded twice in 9 years) but when you’re on 2 wheels of freedom it’s all good 👍

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
I remember one time when i was 17 i took my enduro to school. We had an ice storm. First corner i went down. After that i learned to leave my feet down as out riggers. I remember doing 720s. It was a blast.I won't subject the 1100 to that though. That was when i was young and stupid. Now i am just old and stupid.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They have salted here already. The worst spots for rot are the folds around the edges of the fenders. Most of the rest just washes off. The 08 has a little coming through from the back side of the fenders where they roll it over. I took a brush and some acid primer and tried to get it into the fold to stop it.
I was actually surprised that they DID salt, for what was expected...not too much, some flurries BUT--->and well...we got pounded with Lake Effect snow, up to 7 cm's. They closed the north bound Highway 400 (all lanes) around 11:00 last night, due to so many nerds that seem to forget that 'white' means 'slip 'n slide'. Strange that it takes about 500 reported accidents before that simple concept sinks in...and people start driving accordingly.

So...yeppers...the white stuff of Winter has shown its face in Ontario, Canada...and the bears are sleeping, the deer are hiding from hunters, my bikes are sleeping, and I'm gonna settle in for snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and hopefully, if a good 3 to 6 inch ice cap gets on the pond...some Eddie Bauer Black skates strapped to the toes...and will slap some pucks with the grandkids...WHO KICK MY BUTT OVER THE MOON....every time...and truly THAT makes me feel er...old. Well, having 7 grandkids, who even the girls can kick Grandpa's butt on the ice now, due to some rumma in the knees... I just pretend to NOT SEE their smiles when they slide past me..and whip one into the net....must be my also, old eyes...., (if they ask...) "What? What just happened? You did what? I dunno...I didn't see any puck go through grandpa's legs, Emmie....nope...didn't happen!" Yeah...it did.... Life on the Ranch in Winter....lol.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special
2,870 Posts
I try not to ride when there is snow and ice on the road. But asing as the road is clear, it's good to go.
This is the family EX500 a few years ago at Christmas in Denver. I had gone home and found its battery down. I got on to the youngest who was in charge of maintaining it and got it going for the next day. I took it out for about an hour. What a fun little bike it is.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Snow

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I try not to ride when there is snow and ice on the road. But asing as the road is clear, it's good to go.
This is the family EX500 a few years ago at Christmas in Denver. I had gone home and found its battery down. I got on to the youngest who was in charge of maintaining it and got it going for the next day. I took it out for about an hour. What a fun little bike it is. View attachment 112205
NICE looking bike, there Boog! Very much has the body shape and Duck Tail of my ZR-7S! Very nice...looks like a fun ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just mowed my lawn for the last time today! Latest EVER in 18 years of living here. 35°, so it wasn't very pleasant ...

As soon as we see ANY road salt or brine being laid down, or any evidence of such on our vehicles, the bike gets and remains parked until there are sufficient rainfall events in the spring to wash that **** off the roads. Even if the forecast shows any precipitation during freezing temps or below, we'll usually err on the side of caution and park both the bike, and our '86 Grand Marquis. I work too hard to watch my stuff rust away to nothing. I deal with that crap day in and day out working on automobiles.

Torches and industrial air hammers are needed just to do brake jobs on modern cars these days in these parts, some only 3 years old! I'm seeing a trend towards a throwaway vehicle lately ... but that's an entirely different topic for another day!

Reminds me, I'd better get my truck, & wifey's winter beater on the lift for the annual undercarriage oiling. Also need to do my flatbed trailer. I slacked off last year and skipped both. Can't do that too many times ...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just mowed my lawn for the last time today! Latest EVER in 18 years of living here. 35°, so it wasn't very pleasant ...

As soon as we see ANY road salt or brine being laid down, or any evidence of such on our vehicles, the bike gets and remains parked until there are sufficient rainfall events in the spring to wash that **** off the roads. Even if the forecast shows any precipitation during freezing temps or below, we'll usually err on the side of caution and park both the bike, and our '86 Grand Marquis. I work too hard to watch my stuff rust away to nothing. I deal with that crap day in and day out working on automobiles.

Torches and industrial air hammers are needed just to do brake jobs on modern cars these days in these parts, some only 3 years old! I'm seeing a trend towards a throwaway vehicle lately ... but that's an entirely different topic for another day!

Reminds me, I'd better get my truck, & wifey's winter beater on the lift for the annual undercarriage oiling. Also need to do my flatbed trailer. I slacked off last year and skipped both. Can't do that too many times ...
Same for me...with the first forecast of snow...the bikes for sure would never see outside the garage. I have seen what even a dusting of salt can do to the aluminum rims of your bike. They pit...and that's that...no amount of polish will remove that. So...all those of us that ride no matter what....you go guys n' gals,...but for me, Winter is truly the months-long sleep until perhaps mid to late March. But even then, only if a few days of rain, with no days in between of salt spread get applied. One of my Goldwing's had an 'invisible' coating of salt 'dust' I did not see, and the next time I went to the bike, the surface pitting of the rims was done...but...a lesson was learned from that ONE episode, and hasn't been repeated. Salt to most exposed parts of a motorcycle is literarily as I see it, the same as Sulfuric Acid...the minute it touches bare metal, rims and even painted metal surfaces, with any humidity in the air...it does its 'work'...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"....is it Spring yet?" Tapping fingers on the computer desk......and looking at my watch...
"Maybe I will grab a coffee, go out to the SVTC, and turn on that great stereo system...the USB always stays in place...and I only have 3,000 songs to choose from...so many, and so few time...".... If my wife hears the garage rocking away, to the Stones...she will just think; "...poor guy...Winter has only started...poor soul...".

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thats why when I lived up north I had an Odyssey, 3wheeler, trial bike, dirt bike, snowmobile and of course when old enough a 4x4 truck just because of the unforgiving winters.
I still have the truck and it is still running.
I still have the dirt bike and 3 wheeler however I haven’t had the time to ride either as well as any of the family and neither the 3 wheeler and dirt bike haven’t been started in about 5 years and now buried under garage crap…..

Thats why when I lived up north I had an Odyssey, 3wheeler, trial bike, dirt bike, snowmobile and of course when old enough a 4x4 truck just because of the unforgiving winters.
I still have the truck and it is still running.
I still have the dirt bike and 3 wheeler however I haven’t had the time to ride either as well as any of the family and neither the 3 wheeler and dirt bike haven’t been started in about 5 years and now buried under garage crap…..
So YPE feel your angst and I dont like going any longer than a week or two without riding…..now what pi$$es me off is when my bike is in the shop for warrant work that they can’t or won’t fix the known issue.….
I am seriously thinking about getting rid of this bike regardless if they resolve the issue….especially if they don’t or can’t fix it…..
Also my dealer and the corp guy I spoke to have no input on the GPS and head unit swap out…
The dealer and corp guy both stated they would look into it and get back to me, never heard back…

·
Registered
218 Posts
Had our first snow yesterday evening. Salt trucks were out in force in suburban Worcester, dumping PILES of salt everywhere for the dusting they got. Ridiculous. Out farther west where I live, the truck went by but didn't dump 1/10th the salt volume, thankfully, and we got 3"! Today their snow is gone, while we still have 2" or so on the ground everywhere.

So that's that - the car is parked, along with the bike, probably until mid March at the absolute earliest. Sometimes mid to late April depending on the weather. We've got significant snowstorms all the way into the last week of April in the past, occasionally.

I need to move to FL immediately ... 😥

Wood Gas Automotive tire Fixture Metal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts