Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2006 v-star 1100 Silverado
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all ok I got my front cylinder’s old gasket cleaned off and I’m ready to mount the piston barrel part of the lower head and the right cam sprocket gear and chain and the stopper tensioner

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the copper gasket I got special made and anealed and am installing on the lower head

Sorry here’s the pic

Here the cleaned bottom of the head I’m attaching tonight

Here

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Keith Post @Boog @anyone ok quick question, I’m installing my front head and I want to install my cam sprocket and cam and chain at TDC so as not to F myself later. What does the front piston look like at tdc? Shouldn’t it be down all the way at the same time the timing mark on the woodruff key aligns with where the cam sprocket’s dot would be? That’s right right? So I’d just turn the engines using the back Cylinder’s rod, till the front piston is down and the Key’s dot is where it’s supposed to be (max of 12revolutions) yeah?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
There should be a TDC mark for each cylinder. When the TDC mark for the corresponding cylinder is in line, the piston for that cylinder will be at TDC. The other will be somewhere between TDC and BDC. AFAIK, the TDC marks are both on the left on the flywheel. To check the marks on the gears for the cam chain you will have to consult the manual. Hm, I wonder if still have one for the Virago I used to own? I'll check.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
This is going to be fun to watch! Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
409 Posts
The manual say to fit the cam chains, then the pistons, then the cylinders. Remember to get the chain through the cam chain tunnel in the cylinders before pushing them home and make sure the chain never drops down or get slack enough to slip off its lower sprocket. Then fit the heads, again keeping the cam chain tight at all times. Fit LHS engine cover, but without the center cover cap and the timing mark cover removed as well. Now comes the tricky part; keeping the cam chains tight, yet allow the chain to rotate with the engine. Turn the engine to align the T mark. Fit rear cam so that the point on the sprocket align with the pointer cast into the head. Once verified all marks align, fit tensioner on the rear cylinder.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise 285 degrees (backwards) until the single scribe mark align with the pointer in the top window of the LHS engine cover. Fit front cam as described above. One of the cams likely carry an oil deflector plate.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes @faffi, it does, question tho, I made a reference mark in my case so I could Do all the left case stuff without having to put the cover on until I know it’s perfect. My question is on the right case. That little timing dot on the crankshaft, it’s supposed to be right over the woodruf key I use to align the cam sprocket right? So if I presume the last guy wasn’t a total f-boy, I can just use it yeah, pic here for Reffrence

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whooo nelly I was just checking the manual and pg 96 says “if both cylinders have moved” which they sure as hell have during the teardown “Install the rear cylinder and head first, before moving to the front”
No I was trying install the front first because I got the parts for the rear yet.So this is right I might just save myself a lot of headache and also I mIght just have to wait till the rear gets here... That’s what I get for trying to be proactive

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh also @faffi The entire bike is apart all the flywheels and all the everything off I’m down to only my clutch and the crank in the right case and nada in the left case I also have the rear piston head entirely off and piston entirely off

·
Registered
409 Posts
My old manual say to fit the front intermediate and cam chain gears first. The sprocket should be marked with an R on the outside. It then says:

To fit the gear, first rotate the crankshaft so that the alignment mark machined on the face of the intermediate gear drive pinion is in direct alignment with an imaginary line drawn between the centers of the crankshaft and the location for the intermediate gear spindle. Loop the cam chain over the sprocket of the intermediate gear and lower the gear into the cam chain tunnel. With the gear making light contact with the drive pinion, rotate the gear so that the alignment mark on its outer face comes into direct contact with the mark on the pinion. Carefully push the two pinions together whilst bringing the spring loaded pinions of the intermediate gear into alignment by using the tip of a center punch pushed through the hole in each pinion. Lubricate the spindle of the intermediate gear and push it through the crankcase and gear.

Before fitting the rear intermediate gear, use a fine felt pen and draw a straight line between the center of the gear and its alignment mark. The reason for this will become clear during fitting of the alternator rotor to the crankshaft. Fit the gear as described for the front cylinder.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh also @faffi The entire bike is apart all the flywheels and all the everything off I’m down to only my clutch and the crank in the right case and nada in the left case I also have the rear piston head entirely off and piston entirely off
I understand that, but you probably have to put things back in a sequence to make sure you do not have to backtrack. I have not rebuilt a V-twin engine and can only give you information from the manuals, unfortunately.

You may want to look around this blog for more suggestions as well as contact Greg, who is both skilled and willing to give information

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
Here's a pretty good video that might help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@lesblank man I have watched that video Soooo many times. I think 1/2 the YouTube videos views are from me. I think I got it down. The only issue is the the dude in the video Can magically do I those things without the head removed or the piston barrel removed. I’m far less magical and in the bike far more apart than the procedure in the video demonstrates. However I’m fairly confident I have the right side set up correctly I’m going to reinstall the front piston barrel and head Here’s a pic of my fairly confident work anyone who disagrees it’s fairly competent or right please please please disillusion me ASAP

·
7,993 Posts
That looks right. I'm sure you will, but after you get it together make sure you turn engine over by hand. That way if something isn't right you will feel resistance. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@lesblank no man thank you thank you for all and any reminders even on “obvious ****” like I am the king of thinking something through a million times, dry running it and then when I actually go to do it, making the dumbest mistake or forgetting something obvious

·
7,993 Posts
Please don't think I'm questioning your workmanship, just trying to help. I've built a lot of engines and some small things have come back and created me issues. If I'm out of line just let me know. I did notice a few things that you might want to take a second look.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts