Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this on the other site, but I'll ask here too, to get more insight. I have a Corbin Dual Tour seat for a V-Star 950T that I've listed on CL for $325. I had a guy email for pics, sent same. He asks me if I'm selling the bike with the seat. I guess it was his snarky way of telling me he thought my price was too high. I would have started negotiations a different way, but whatever. This isn't a clever way to advertise the seat for sale, I already have it listed in the proper place. Just looking for feedback. Here's one of the pics I sent for reference. So, am I asking too much?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks like its brand new and is that what you paid for the seat? I think that most aftermarket seats are in that price range anyways...

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it is in like new condition, I think that is a fair price. New is around $500 so $325 sounds about right. You will always get people on CL that want to get something for little or nothing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your asking price does not sound out of line to me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Had a $570 set of Ultimate seats off of my 1300 listed on eBay. Started a bit high but gave the option for "make offer". Relisted them 4 times lowering price each time. No offers all the way down to $395 listed buy it now price. Finally sold for $375 to local buyer, paid cash and picked up seats. They were like new. Good luck selling !!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Honestly, NO

However, you need to look at it like this. Just because you like the seat doesn't mean everyone else will. Aftermarket parts are exactly that aftermarket you have more people looking for stock or NOS parts more than aftermarket.

Take you car for example you can put 30k worth of add ons to it but when you go to trade it in the dealership isn't going to give you a cent more than what its worth to them and most buyers will want to pay you nada value. The right buyer at the right time is what you are looking for to re-coupe any inversted cost.

Buying a 500 dollar seat and not liking it or wanting something different or just whatever it is is great. But remember you bought it not the other person they may like it but you will have to find the right person who wants a lot to buy it used. It sucks I shopped for 7 months to find the right deal for my bike and I looked at used seats a lot more. However, I ended up buying a new one from teh factory for about 50 more then all the used ones I found where going for.

$375 I say stick to it but if someone offered you $300 would you turn them away?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$375 I say stick to it but if someone offered you $300 would you turn them away?
No, I wouldn't turn them away. When I list something, I fully expect to have to negotiate. I haggle, I pretty much expect everyone else to do the same. I appreciate your input as well as everyone else who weighed in on this subject. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
458 Posts
No, I wouldn't turn them away. When I list something, I fully expect to have to negotiate. I haggle, I pretty much expect everyone else to do the same. I appreciate your input as well as everyone else who weighed in on this subject. Thanks.:)
You're welcome honestly I have had better luck using eBay to get rid of items for my bike I no longer want or need than the forums or craigslist. I had way to many weirdos calling my phone off craigslist and a few that showed up that seemed like they were more interesting in casing out my house than looking at the seat. I started using a supermarket address when I listed stuff and told them I would meet them there.

Public witnesses and lots of people around plus security camers all over the place. It was funny to see the response that would pass after that knowing they weren't coming to my home to see anything.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Personally, I prefer buy it now - I hate haggling. Maybe try listing for $350 on ebay plus shipping on the "buy it now" feature...

·
Registered
31 Posts
for CL transactions, I use the local police dept parking lot. I have spoken to the chief there and informed him of my intentions and as it's a public place I have the right to be there he said no problem. I like it as who will do something stupid with the police right there! besides, lots of cameras.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
for CL transactions, I use the local police dept parking lot. I have spoken to the chief there and informed him of my intentions and as it's a public place I have the right to be there he said no problem. I like it as who will do something stupid with the police right there! besides, lots of cameras.
Awesome idea. Stealing!!!!

·
Administrator
13,661 Posts
Aftermarket parts are exactly that aftermarket you have more people looking for stock or NOS parts more than aftermarket.
Who is looking to put a stock seat on a recent model bike? I would think the vast majority of people are looking for aftermarket seats versus stock or OEM.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Who is looking to put a stock seat on a recent model bike? I would think the vast majority of people are looking for aftermarket seats versus stock or OEM.
Absolutely why would anyone want a stock seat :confused: compared to an aftermarket comfortable riding seat :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
On craiglist you gotta be patient. N stick to your price n remember to keep reposting. I sold over $30k stuff on craiglist in past 3 months And bought my new bike last week off craiglist. Remember its not like people are waiting for the stuff you have to sell. Sometimes lil hard to sell stuff

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts