Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Roseburg, Oregon. My family lives in Southeast Idaho and Utah. My wife and children want tot drive out for summer break. I have limited days off, so I told them to go and I would ride the motorcycle out. 2002 V-Star 1100. I have redden a fair bit but never that extreme of miles in one day. Tips, hints, suggestions? Much appreciated. Are chaps necessary? Any suggestions on a good reasonably priced pair? Rain gear? So many questions going through my head. I know I want to ride through Christmas valley over to Burns and up to Boise and then interstate at 80 MPH. I am a bit nervous about fuel. Any suggestions on fuel containers? Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

·
Registered
936 Posts
As far fuel consumption goes, figure 35mpg. So with a 4.49 gallon tank, I would plan refueling every 130 miles. With that in mind and an app like 'GasBuddy' you can plan you gas pit stops with some ease.
Yes, I am sure the bike should get better fuel consumption and go farther. But I am being conservative.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
What is the longest you have ridden your bike in one day?

Riding a bike a long distance is not like driving a car - if you have only been riding for an hour at a time, you may find riding for 3 hours totally wears you out.

It depends on many factors - including whether you are sitting in the full wind blast, or behind a windshield, or behind a fairing.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
definitely invest in some decent rain gear. i recommend Frogg Toggs. find out what the temps will be when you leave, during the day, and when you arrive so you can dress accordingly. sounds like you're talking about 700 miles from your city to SE Idaho, which is doable in a single day if you stick to the highways and interstates and leave early in the morning. if you have only ridden short distances, go out for a couple hours ride soon and see how it feels. that should tell you how frequent you need to take a break or if you need to modify anything on your bike to make it more suitable for your needs or comfort.

·
Registered
386 Posts
All good advice. Stay hydrated also. It help you stay focused and helps avoids cramping of legs, back and arms.
What city in S.E. idaho you headed to?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ear plugs Ear plugs Ear plugs!!! I hate wearing them cause it makes me feel dorky, but trust me, they help so much on long rides! I would recommend researching how people prepare for a saddlesore 1000.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... Stay hydrated also...
This is very important! I use a hydration pack while on the move.

Ear plugs Ear plugs Ear plugs!!!...
Another excellent recommendation... excess/loud noise can have a profound effect on fatigue. I have several Radian Custom Mold Earplugs for use on the road and at the range. They're easy to form and very comfortable for all day use.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
If you are worried about running out of fuel riding in unfamiliar areas, you can get a spun aluminum campers gas bottle for a few bucks.

It only holds 1 quart of fuel, but it also takes very little space in your bag or trunk. If you can get 40mpg riding at 55mph, it will take you 10 miles down the road. It would take you 3 hours to walk ten miles, so its better than nothing. Think of it as your secondary reserve tank.

I think I have to hold up the other side of motorcycle road trips. You can ride 700 miles in one day on a motorcycle. It will be more of an ordeal than an enjoyable cruise on your bike.

My personal experience with a windshield and lowers and a trunk that is an excellent backrest, after only an hour on the bike I need to stop and get off and walk around for a few minutes. In a car you can move around and adjust your seat and move your feet, but on a bike you are in one position all the time. If you push on and your legs get numb, you got a real problem because now you cannot stop and put your feet down. In a car I can drive 80mph for 3 hours at a time before I feel like I need to stop for a break.

Add to this the fact that you will have family expecting you and it makes your road trip more stressful. When you are touring by yourself, you can go where you want, take a break when you want, and if it takes you two days to get from A to Z, it doesnt matter. But with people waiting for you at the other end you will feel pressured to push on, even if you have pushed yourself too far.

I get the Great American Road Trip completely, and Im hesitant to type this out loud, but... sometimes its better to take a car.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I get the Great American Road Trip completely, and Im hesitant to type this out loud, but... sometimes its better to take a car.
Burn the heretic!!!

Comfort definitely is subjective and a car is my least favorite mode of long distance transport because it's so damned uncomfortable... bucket seats that lock me into one basic position, limited leg room and the only alternative is having them directly in front with the glutes having to take the weight all of the time... no thanks. In a truck or a van I have much more room to move forward in the seat and change positions and get my legs under me for a change.

On my motorcycle I have room to move because I avoid backrests and bucketed seats that lock me into one position... I can move fore and aft. My legs can change from the forward sets to the passenger pegs, that goes a long way in keeping my legs fresh. My handlebars have a bend so that they can be canted forward so I'm leaning into the wind and there's no push or pull on my arms at highway speed yet I can lean further forward onto my tank bag and get into a dirt-track tuck for a huge change in position yet easily maintain control of the bike. If you set your bike up so that you have at least two very different riding positions then you should be able to ride all day.

·
Registered
346 Posts
On my motorcycle I have room to move because I avoid backrests and bucketed seats that lock me into one position... I can move fore and aft. My legs can change from the forward sets to the passenger pegs, that goes a long way in keeping my legs fresh. My handlebars have a bend so that they can be canted forward so I'm leaning into the wind and there's no push or pull on my arms at highway speed yet I can lean further forward onto my tank bag and get into a dirt-track tuck for a huge change in position yet easily maintain control of the bike. If you set your bike up so that you have at least two very different riding positions then you should be able to ride all day.
Same for me. I have 2 main positions and a "third" one as well.

It helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts