Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've ridden the Venture TC on a few demo opportunities and would be interested in picking one up however I have paralysis by analysis.......Are the engine issues I read about true? Does it affect all years or just the 2018 engines?

I am willing to forgo the deficiencies in the infotainment, lack of bluetooth to headset, plastic and engine heat but If the engines are not bulletproof I'm not on-board.

Craig

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I believe the issues with the motor are on the 2018 but only the unlucky ones like myself had this issue as well as a few others on this forum. A few of us have a transmission whine and many have the starter issue…
If this is a used bike you are looking at and it has more than 8k miles you may be safe from engine failure. If you are getting it at a good price it may be worth it and it Yamaha doesn’t pay for the fixes it may still be worth getting it.
2 of us on this forum are fighting to get the whine issue resolved….
Goodluck.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
374 Posts
At least three forum members have had major issues with the valve train and a couple of those also had the final drive/transmission issue. Most of those issues have been on the 2018 SVTC, but there is one 2018 Eluder that developed the valve train issue. I can only speak for myself, but I'm closing in on 37k on my 2018 and, so far, I have not developed either of the big problems. But, with all the conversations on this forum about the various issues I wonder if I'm riding on a time bomb that will leave me stranded somewhere. By the same token, if I wasn't aware of the problems others have had I would think I'm riding on a tank in terms of reliability, just based only on my personal experience. I guess only time will tell.

I'm not sure a bullet proof engine/drive train exists anymore, from any manufacturer, especially with the increased reliance of electronics to keep the bike running. No more setting the point gap with a matchbook cover, tweaking the timing by ear and sputtering home.....those days are (thankfully) over. When something goes wrong now a days the bike just quits and there you sit until you can identify and fix (i.e. replace) the guilty module. Thankfully not commonplace, but like refinery explosions, it is a rare but spectacular occasion when it does happen.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
At least three forum members have had major issues with the valve train and a couple of those also had the final drive/transmission issue. Most of those issues have been on the 2018 SVTC, but there is one 2018 Eluder that developed the valve train issue. I can only speak for myself, but I'm closing in on 37k on my 2018 and, so far, I have not developed either of the big problems. But, with all the conversations on this forum about the various issues I wonder if I'm riding on a time bomb that will leave me stranded somewhere. By the same token, if I wasn't aware of the problems others have had I would think I'm riding on a tank in terms of reliability, just based only on my personal experience. I guess only time will tell.

I'm not sure a bullet proof engine/drive train exists anymore, from any manufacturer, especially with the increased reliance of electronics to keep the bike running. No more setting the point gap with a matchbook cover, tweaking the timing by ear and sputtering home.....those days are (thankfully) over. When something goes wrong now a days the bike just quits and there you sit until you can identify and fix (i.e. replace) the guilty module. Thankfully not commonplace, but like refinery explosions, it is a rare but spectacular occasion when it does happen.
@AlanRides nicely stated.. (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts