Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I can now post in this V-Star specific forum, so reposting my question which I just posted in New Member introductions (which I doubt anyone looks at).

Admin: Please feel free to delete my post in New Member Introductions if needed. I was unable to post in this forum until now.

I use my bike (2014 V-Star 650 Custom) for commute on a daily basis. That's a 17 mile one way ride (10 on highway, 7 in stop-and-go traffic). So around 35 miles round trip, 50% highway, 50% stop-and-go. And that's 5 days a week, all weeks of the year pretty much.

Question: Am I riding too much in terms of miles? Given this amount of riding, is it okay for me to stick to the maintenance schedule mentioned in owner's manual (I have done 2 services so far per the schedule)? Or should I be doing them more frequently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that it is possible to ride too much,,,, Just follow the manual as it is based on time and or mileage
and you will be fine and good to go. And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was a bit concerned, is that I feel I might be causing more wear and tear than is 'usual'. A week ago, I started hearing some rattling sound in lower gears. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a just a screw near the exhaust pipes that got loose and got lodged between the dual exhaust pipes. Now I am worried what else might be loose and how do I ensure all nuts and bolts are tightened up and not loose because of vibrations?! :frown:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was a bit concerned, is that I feel I might be causing more wear and tear than is 'usual'. A week ago, I started hearing some rattling sound in lower gears. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a just a screw near the exhaust pipes that got loose and got lodged between the dual exhaust pipes. Now I am worried what else might be loose and how do I ensure all nuts and bolts are tightened up and not loose because of vibrations?! :frown:
Welcome and riding too much is almost impossible. I usually check bolts when I clean the bike which is about every two weeks for me. Check the obvious exhaust nuts and do a once over. Anything I find loose I use blue loctite. Remember this is a vibrating machine and its normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome and riding too much is almost impossible. I usually check bolts when I clean the bike which is about every two weeks for me. Check the obvious exhaust nuts and do a once over. Anything I find loose I use blue loctite. Remember this is a vibrating machine and its normal.
Thanks for putting me at ease and telling me about loctites! Will surely spend some time this weekend. Glad I joined this forum.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the only part i'v ever had to replace was the pickup coil in over 50,000 miles. most things the manual says to service i just check and their always fine, like swingarm bearings, steering head bearings. i never had to pull things apart to repack them with grease, as per the manual.. wheel bearings i check a few times a year because i had a bad experience years ago. i do my own inspections because i worked at dealerships and know what goes on sometimes. even my clutch works perfectly,after 16 years so you got no worries. if you ride it the wet a lot keep all the pivot points lubed . brake linkage, kickstand, levers cables board or peg hinges and things of that nature

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome, and yeah just ride it. It's good idea to go over the whole bike from time to time to make sure all is tight as it should be. I always do a walk down to the bike before each ride. Just walk around and put hands on the things that could work there way loose. Kinda like walkin down an airplane before taking it up. Just gives me peace of mind, especially since most of my riding is 2up. Good luck. And no, ya can't ride it too much! For me, it's not enough.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,587 Posts
I commute daily over 50 miles for the past 3 years. Just follow recommend service recommendation and you will be fine. I try to do a good bike walk around walk around weekly but sometimes it's every 2 weeks. With just a few wrenches, srewdriver and allen wrenches in about 10 minutes you can check almost everthing. And as stated ubove, things do get loose. I will double the advice on rain will make lubrication needed on a regular schedule. Keep close eye on tires. Riding daily you get used to them and don't notice wear until it's bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,739 Posts
Hi shikhanshu, welcome to the forum. Can't add much more than the others have stated. Do you have any pics of your ride? We'd love to see some and please, ride safely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OP,

There's NO such thing as riding too much, only not keeping up with the associated maintenance schedules. As others have stated, just check all your nuts & bolts every few weeks and pay attention to your machine (like noticing rattling), and all should be fine. I commute with my 950, as well as weekly 150mi leisure rides, that's thousands of miles a year. I use the recommended oil selections and change every three thousand miles (whether I "have" to or not, it's just habit). Take care of your machine and it'll take care of you.

Now, get out there and RIDE!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was a bit concerned, is that I feel I might be causing more wear and tear than is 'usual'. A week ago, I started hearing some rattling sound in lower gears. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a just a screw near the exhaust pipes that got loose and got lodged between the dual exhaust pipes. Now I am worried what else might be loose and how do I ensure all nuts and bolts are tightened up and not loose because of vibrations?!
I ride everyday and my total commute is 52-56 miles. Fixed the rattling issue with a good set of earplugs.

In all seriousness, do your pre-trips, go over your bike every so often and ride it until it won't run anymore.

If your bike won't take the daily mileage that you are doing now, get a new one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your all good. For 2 years I put on 100+ miles a day, 6-7 days a week just for work on my 1100. I never had any issues with maintenance. For me once a month I changed the oil/filter and did a check up myself. The good thing about riding more than the casual weekender is you'll notice inconsistencies in the bikes performance and ride so you can almost always spot most issues ahead of time before they develop into bigger problems and get them taken care of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts