Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

And another one bites the dust

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  pauli466 
#1 ·
Well it finally happen. Was in high 2 or low 3, can't really recall, try to slow for a hair pin turn and the front tire washed out in some sand on the white line. All in all everything came out better than expected. Lil road rash below the hip, and sore shoulder, but good leather saved the rest of me for the 15' or so slide. Was able to ride home and in to work this am. Got some tweaking to do tho. Well enough talk now the photos

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Happy you got to walk away from it. One more reason for ATGATT.

Reactions: Keith Post
#13 ·
I ment to ask what does ATGATT stand for?

Yea I've been scoping all the internet sites for bags, a fairing that can properly house a radio and such to work towards if I keep her. Thanks again guys if it had to happen I'm glad it was that point n time all things considered. Anyways I'll try to remember to keep the thread updated as I figure out which direction in going.

#5 · (Edited)
you broke one of the main rules, never brake in a turn just lean the bike and your body hang off if necessary with everything you got, it will lose clearance before it loses grip, if it lowsides because the frame hit braking wouldn't have saved you anyway. the only time braking saves you is before the turn never in it.

#6 ·
Wow man, glad your ok. As others said, bike can be fixed. That's why ya gotta be ready all the time, and constantly checking road conditions. Roads are pretty raunchy around here too with all the ash and salt still covering most of them. Had the beast out couple days ago to blow the dust off it. When I twisted the throttle in front of the house, she went sideways in the ash. Tightened the ole sphincter a little. Rain today should wash away a lot of the ash I hope. Good luck in yer recovery of both you and yer bike.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. The fairing is toast and the bag is scraped up but salvageable. Gonna take it to a couple shops for some repair quotes this week to deside if I turn it into insurance or just bite the bullet and slowly do the repairs over the summer. I'll straiten out the shifter and pull the fairing and continue using as a commuter till I figure it out.

Yea the funny thing is i take a canyon to work n back everyday and handle similar corners, but I was close to the white line and didn't wanna hit it due to the lose gravel but sure enough that front brake took me right into it. Lesson learned, glad my first is done with. ?

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing, Vrider06. I'm sure you're feeling pretty crappy right about now, but you really gave me something to think about.

Up here, salt and sand from the DOT trucks is my #1 fear during the winter, and I've had several damn close calls myself. They throw that crap like confetti at a wedding and it piles up in giant terrifying swaths just about everyplace except on the usual cager tire lines, to the point where I gotta use the eyeball glue and granny it around any corner I haven't personally reconned in the past day or so. Not much fun, to be honest, but scary enough to remind me that nothing (and I mean NOTHING) on the roads these days is designed with the safety of motorcyclists in mind.

I'm glad you're okay and I'm sorry about your V-star. Bikes can be fixed, bad injuries or death last forever, so count yourself lucky, as messed up as that is to think about right now. "Any one you can walk away from", as they say. Don't think of it as "biting the dust", per se; think of it as a lucky reminder from the Reaper that he's got all our numbers and he's paying attention every microsecond that we're in the saddle.

#15 ·
Yep. ATGATT is frequently a lonely row to hoe when you ride a Yam cruiser. I get razzed by the Harley guys for riding "Jap crap" and prioritizing health over fashion (because I wear armored sport leather and a FF instead of chaps and a brain bucket) and I get razzed by the sportbikers for prioritizing comfort over breakneck speed. You can't win.

Luckily, like my MSF instructor said, "If you buy your bike or your gear to impress people, you're an idiot, and the only people who'll notice or care will be other idiots." :D

#17 ·
That makes sense. Although while I'll always wear jeans n boots, it's almost all I wear anyways, I'll prob drop down to a short sleeve or long sleeve once the weather out here warms up. I tried wearing the jacket last fall when it was still warm out and felt more distracted from the heat it created. And a full face helmet. The road I ride I don't trust my skid lid. Luckily I was slow enough I was able to keep my head off the ground and not damage my helmet when I went down.

Oh and my buddy keeps trying to get me into a Dyna. But honestly I'd go street glide over Dyna any day, got spoiled with that dang fairing.

#18 ·
Glad you are ok, the bike can be repaired. Thanks for sharing, helps everyone to be reminded that it can happen.

LoupGarou

#19 ·
Short update:
The shop wasn't able to get to the bike last weekend and wanted to keep it to do the estimate on Tuesday, but seeing how it's my commuter I picked up anyways and after a few days decided I'm better off just keeping the bike. I did some deep ebaying and found a bigger set of bags for 200 and a sound system ready batwing for 300. After that it's just my tank so it's not worth claiming on insurance. And if they did by chance deside to total it, I would be hard pressed to find another "newer" low mileage bike with bags and a fairing for the price I got this one. So it's cheaper to keep her. looks like u guys are stuck with me for a while longer. ?

#22 ·
Ok, so the bags I'm looking at getting are bigger than what I have on, but won't fit properly with the cannon mufflers. Pulled the mufflers, made some baffles to create the needed back pressure w/out having a lollipop sitting in the pipe. But now I sound like a old school vw bug in the low range. And when I'm going thru the canyon for my commute I'm constantly back n forth on the throttle and in the gears, she starts to backfire more. I'm in the process of slotting out every other hole to see if that helps. But here's what I'm working with, anyone have any ideas? Should this be a separate thread?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.