Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't taken the time to read thru it yet but it looks like some bike lovers over on the Indian Motorcycle forums are thinking about taking the plunge too. Looks like the thread started last Saturday and is heading for 7 pages of comments... Things are looking up for the SVTC/Eluder!! :wink:

Take a peek! https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/new-yamaha-eluder.299990/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty spot on discussion about the SVTC and Eluder....some funny, positive and negative points made there.
LOL,, finally getting a chance to read thru it all and have to agree with you.. Seems to be a fair amount of real life experience about how hot the Eluder runs. Did you happen to notice the post about the guy who's leg got burnt? That one brought a :frown: though, not a fun journey he had. Here is a copy/paste of his story posted in that thread:

MILWDAVE SAID: ↑
There is a Facebook group: Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Touring and Star Eluder
Here you go Dave, this is a different FB page but this is an "open" Facebook SVTC/Eluder group, it is: Yamaha Star Venture & Star Eluder. For kicks, I went ahead joined their group even though I did not have to. Scrolling down to the September posts on that page I found the story about the guy whose Eluder burned his leg bad enough that he had to seek Medical help. I will attach his story below. I also noticed that the factory rider/SVTC promoter "Long Haul Paul" (aka Paul Pellam) was one who responded to this person and suggested that the rider who was burned do as he (Long Haul) does to protect his legs when riding his SVTC, that would be to wear a pair of heat protectant Gortex riding pants to keep this from happening LOL.
This probably all sounds nutzy but here is the article from Facebook:
[​IMG]

Patrick Flanagan
September 18
Hello and thanks for the add! I joined in hopes that someone might be able to offer advice. I bought my Eluder and did a cross country trip of about 3500 miles from Texas to Virginia, then down to the Carolinas and back. About a day and a half into the beginning of my trip, the back of my leg was itching then turned into searing pain. I stopped and went into a rest stop to find out that the heat coming out of the engine compartment had burned my leg so bad i had to go to the doctors and get it treated. I couldn't just turn around and go home so I continued on my trip and kept it wrapped for the rest of the trip.

Has anyone else been burned buy their Eluder? Yamaha's answer was to install wind deflectors to try to circulate the air but that doesn't help.

I'm so disappointed that I cannot ride this bike in the Texas heat for more than an hour without it frying my leg every time.

What can I do when Yamaha wont admit there's an issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
that looks like a wrist, not a leg

how do you burn your leg thru your pants?!

how do you get a 2nd degree burn and think its an itch?

This sounds like a fake post. That the problem with jumping into a conversation on another forum - we dont know any of those characters.

When I started riding on 1970's Hondas every rider I knew had a football shaped burn on an arm or leg from touching an exposed hot exhaust pipe. Exhaust pipes are shielded now, they werent back then.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that looks like a wrist, not a leg

how do you burn your leg thru your pants?!

how do you get a 2nd degree burn and think its an itch?

This sounds like a fake post. That the problem with jumping into a conversation on another forum - we dont know any of those characters.

When I started riding on 1970's Hondas every rider I knew had a football shaped burn on an arm or leg from touching an exposed hot exhaust pipe. Exhaust pipes are shielded now, they werent back then.
Good point KCW!

Says it's originally from a Face Book group called "Yamaha Star Venture & Star Eluder". I am not a Face Booker person and no idea if that group even exists, should not be to hard to find out. Clicking on the picture and looking real close it does look like the backside of the guys left thigh.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I kinda see that now. SVTC riders here have logged thousands of miles and no burns.

Was the guy wearing shorts?

stung by a bee?

have shingles?...

a sample of one is not significant

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I kinda see that now. SVTC riders here have logged thousands of miles and no burns.

Was the guy wearing shorts?

stung by a bee?

have shingles?...

a sample of one is not significant
Something doesn’t seem right about that guy’s post. It gets 100 in the summer here too and I’ve logged over 15k miles in my SVTC with no such issue. Like you said... many others here have logged thousands of miles with no issue either.
Let’s not forget Long Haul Paul who has already logged 35k + miles on his SVTC in the last 5 months since owning it!
Something smells “fishy”.

·
Super Moderator
4,491 Posts
Sorry, not to highjack the thread but I saw this the other day and was waiting for a good time to post.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something doesn’t seem right about that guy’s post. It gets 100 in the summer here too and I’ve logged over 15k miles in my SVTC with no such issue. Like you said... many others here have logged thousands of miles with no issue either.
Let’s not forget Long Haul Paul who has already logged 35k + miles on his SVTC in the last 5 months since owning it!
Rereading that post here, I really do have to agree with the fish smell Sir. You mentioning Long Haul Paul, I now see the comment being made that Long Haul Paul is a "factory rider" there, this definitely points me in the direction of smelling that fish. It's not like Paul is riding a bike provided by the factory or connected to Yamaha or owing them anything in any way - it is a known fact that Paul rides what he rides by personal choice and his story is AMAZING!! I also can't imagine him advising anyone of the need to wear some special Gortex riding pants to protect their legs from getting burned like mentioned. That doesn't sound like Mr. Long Haul at all. He has ALWAYS called a spade a spade and if there were heat problems (or any other issues for that matter) with a bike he purchased/owns/rides he has always been the first to give good honest, transparent, unbiased advice!
Thinking it might be time to do some Face Book investigating to see if this "Yamaha Star Venture & Star Eluder" group even exists. The post was dated so it should be easy to find out/prove just how rotten the perverbial fish is here if that group even does exist :wink:

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
before this thread gets too far should point out its against one of the few rules here to post links that take readers to other motorcycle forums

the intent is to keep readers from being siphoned away by similar websites

that is not the intent of this thread (clearly) but there are other considerations as well, not starting a flame war between readers on different forums for example

Its great that riders on the Indian forum are looking at the Eluder. Maybe we should let this go before it gets sucked into something negative. If riders on the Indian Forum are looking at the Eluder and SVTC, they will find there way over her rather quickly if they google the new bikes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So I'll take the counterpoint. I'm always interested in what motivates people. What's the motivation for the burned leg guy to make up that story...just curious. I've seen people called trolls for mentioning the heat issues on these bikes, or they don't know what they're doing, or that it doesn't exist...it seems to be an individual matter of degrees. The other interesting way to discount any issues is to simply say I don't have that issue or "he/she" doesn't have that issue therefore I won't accept or believe it exists.

Here's my analogy....let's say you and I are firearms experts. We both have the same model handgun. We live in different states, so we can't witness any issues personally. I go to the range and my gun operates flawlessly. You go to the range and your gun constantly jams...we're able prove it's not operator error. I refuse to accept that there is a problem with your gun because mine is perfect.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Rereading that post here, I really do have to agree with the fish smell Sir. You mentioning Long Haul Paul, I now see the comment being made that Long Haul Paul is a "factory rider" there, this definitely points me in the direction of smelling that fish. It's not like Paul is riding a bike provided by the factory or connected to Yamaha or owing them anything in any way - it is a known fact that Paul rides what he rides by personal choice and his story is AMAZING!! I also can't imagine him advising anyone of the need to wear some special Gortex riding pants to protect their legs from getting burned like mentioned. That doesn't sound like Mr. Long Haul at all. He has ALWAYS called a spade a spade and if there were heat problems (or any other issues for that matter) with a bike he purchased/owns/rides he has always been the first to give good honest, transparent, unbiased advice!
Thinking it might be time to do some Face Book investigating to see if this "Yamaha Star Venture & Star Eluder" group even exists. The post was dated so it should be easy to find out/prove just how rotten the perverbial fish is here if that group even does exist /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Just to be clear.. Long Haul Paul is NOT a factory rider. Yes Yamaha gave him the SVTC that he’s currently riding. It’s good PR for them AND is a charitable deduction since he is riding for an MS cure. Paul pays for ALL his own needs while riding. Everything from maintenance to tires and gas. Yamaha is NOT sponsoring his ride beyond the gift of the bike.
If I’m incorrect on Yamaha “gifting” the bike, I hope he chimes in here and sets the record straight.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
...You go to the range and your gun constantly jams......
In that case I take the gun back to the person I bought it from and ask them to repair it, because obviously its not suppose to jam.

By your analogy the rider with the burn on his left leg takes his Eluder back to the dealer, and asks them to figure out how the motorcycle is shooting flames out the left side of the engine that somehow burns his leg without setting his pants on fire ?!

Because his Eluder is obviously not the same as everyone else's.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Because his Eluder is obviously not the same as everyone else's.
That's kind of my point. It's not just the burned leg guy, but a variety of issues various owners experience that are discounted. If I was that guy and we accept the issue at face value, I absolutely would be back at the dealer looking into that issue with Yamaha. Just like various car models that have issues that other same models don't...doesn't mean the issues don't exist just because I got a good one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's kind of my point. It's not just the burned leg guy, but a variety of issues various owners experience that are discounted. If I was that guy and we accept the issue at face value, I absolutely would be back at the dealer looking into that issue with Yamaha. Just like various car models that have issues that other same models don't...doesn't mean the issues don't exist just because I got a good one.
I have always LOVED and lived by this old saying - "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety"... :wink:

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I still want to see the full explanation of how the rider got his leg burned by the motorcycle thru his pants, without setting his pants on fire?

Are the pants at least scorched? Does his Eluder run on steam?.

wait wait... this was on an Indian motorcycle forum? Was this the guy that set the speed record for the fastest Indian, and had his leg pressed against the hot exhaust under the fully faired motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have always LOVED and lived by this old saying - "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety"... /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Don’t ya just LOVE the book of Proverbs?! 👍

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still want to see the full explanation of how the rider got his leg burned by the motorcycle thru his pants, without setting his pants on fire?

Are the pants at least scorched? Does his Eluder run on steam?.

wait wait... this was on an Indian motorcycle forum? Was this the guy that set the speed record for the fastest Indian, and had his leg pressed against the hot exhaust under the fully faired motorcycle?
Google is our friend KCW (never be afraid to ask/search for answers). Hopefully this may help:
""Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.""

and then, asking google what temp Denim (I found the guys post on FB and he clearly stated there that he was wearing jeans and was burned thru them - this was where Long Haul Paul suggested he wear Gortex/anti heat pants like Paul does) ignites and found this: ""It will ignite at 450 degree Fahrenheit and flame at 550 degree Fahrenheit.""

I am no scientist but am pretty sure, by the sounds of things, that means that his jeans could have easily passed thru a couple hundred degrees of temp and burned the guys leg to that point. A real test would now be to take a lazer thermometer and get a reading on the left pipe/engine of a running SVTC/Eluder and see if those kinds of temps (in excess of 150 degrees?) are available for the guys jean covered leg to be exposed to. Next time I am at our local Yamaha dealership I will see if they will let me do this test if one of our forum members who actually own one of these bikes cant do it for us. The results may answer a lot of your/our questions concerning the matter.:wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don’t ya just LOVE the book of Proverbs?! 👍
Dont know much about that Sir but I do know that life has taught me that rejecting someones opinion on something just because it does not line up with that of my own has never ever proven healthy. Usually, in an effort to over come my own stubborness, I find that the more information I gather and prove right or wrong before making a decision, the better the final decision result usually turns out.
Case in point, doing a little follow up here concerning whether or not these new Star SVTC/Eluders have an issue with heat just revealed more information. Hot off the press,, here is a copy/paste from an unbiased (at least the entire article it reads that way as, in the end, the writer/tester did say he would still buy one) long distance ride/test of the SVTC:

""I set the outside fairing side air deflectors when I started out and forgot about them until almost home. Note that if you turn the air deflectors directly at you at 80 mph, better hold on—it felt like it could blow you off the bike.

The heat coming off the rear cylinder exhaust on the left side is a real issue in warm weather. It never got above about 73 degrees on this ride, but on my Eluder Death Valley ride it got up to 78. When I was going 35 mph, my left leg was hot enough to be raising my internal body temperature, or at least it felt that way. I am concerned how the heat will affect me when I am riding in stop and go traffic in the California summer.

There are adjustable lower fairing ducts. When closed on a cool morning, the exhaust heat felt good but as the day warmed up the flow-through tunnels did not seem to move the heat that rises from the left side exhaust. I could feel the warmth on my left thigh all day..""

That being found in this article: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/03/01/iron-butt-comparison-2018-yamaha-star-venture-vs-personalized-2007-royal-star-venture/

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
""Most adults will suffer third degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. ...
Water has a specific heat orders of magnitude higher than air.

If you stick your hand in a pot of boiling water (212F) you will be burned. If you stick your hand in an oven that is 450F... nothing happens because water is able to transfer more heat (energy) to your skin than air.

The photo shows a blister on his skin, that is a 2nd degree burn. I dont see how enough heat could be coming off the engine with his legs in the riding position to burn his skin that bad thru denim pants. If he walked up to a hot bike and put his leg on a hot exhaust pipe, yes. Riding it: no. Unless there is a crack or blown gasket on his exhaust somewhere, that kind of hot air is not coming off an engine.

He wasnt sprayed by a 180F coolant leak because Eluder is air cooled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts