Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wedding anniversary is soon. My wife wants to do the Three Sisters ride in the Texas hill country. Her idea, really. It's about a four hour ride from Houston and we are looking to stay a few days. Has anyone done the Three Sisters? Anyone have recommendations on lodging? My wife is NOT into camping. She's the must have bath tub and clean room type. Something in the Kerrville or Fredericksburg area would be great. Nothing that would break the bank but a nice clean place. Please post ideas or recommendations. Looking to go in March. Here is a picture of my sweetie at the Lone Star Rally.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Howdy,

Rode the sisters in late october with a buddy. What a great ride. The weather was excellent, meaning NOT 100 degrees. I'm going back as soon as I can.

We got some rooms in the old Leakey Inn. I really liked the place. It isn't flashy. It's actually very old but recently redecorated and updated. It was clean, quiet, and reasonable. One of the best parts of the trip was sitting under the covered porch, drinking coffee, and watching Leakey go by. It was a very nice base of operations. A number of other bikers were there while we were. If you'd prefer something newer, you'll also find all the usual places in Kerrville or Boerne so you won't have any trouble finding a bed.

Leakey has an excellent family owned restaurant (Friend's Grill), another good place where we ate breakfast every day (Mill Creek Cafe), and a cool biker bar/grill with a nice view (Bent Rim Grill). There are a couple of others I wanted to try and just didn't have time. Next trip.

If you like floating in the river, there are a LOT of cabin rentals on the Frio. My recollection is they were more $$.

Texas Hill Country Cabins
https://www.leakeyinn.com/
Welcome to FCMS!
The Friend's Grill Restaurant in Leakey, Texas - the Best Ribeye Steak in Leakey
Mill Creek Cafe - Where families gather and enjoy good food

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. That is exactly the info I was looking more. I've read a lot of info but most are the places saying how great they are. Any other info please pass it on. Any places we shouldn't go? We will be going mid week so hopefully not too many people out. I understand about the heat, that's why we are aiming for mid March.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad to be helpful.

Don't recall being disappointed anywhere, but I'm a small town guy. I don't expect a lot when I'm out in the wild west. I was pleasantly surprised all the way. Can't wait to do it again.

Here's the quickie trip report, if you're interested:

We headed west out of Dallas and then came down US377 from Stephenville to Junction. Then rode the super slab to US83 and then south to Leakey for the night at the Leakey Inn and dinner at Friends Grill. We went around the sisters clockwise from Leakey the next morning. 337 west from Leakey is twisty and scenic. It was misty so the scenery was spectacular. 335 north is also twisty and scenic. 41 to 336 is straight and flat. 336 is more scenic than twisty. There's a really interesting historical marker down near the southern end of 336. One of the last Indian attacks in that region. It's a good story.

The last gas was in Barksdale as I recall, but Rocksprings is not too far out of the way west on 41 if you need it. My 950 didn't. My buddy's bike has a small tank so he carried a gallon with him.

We took off for home the next day in the rain heading east on 337 to Vanderpool, Medina, and Boerne. I enjoyed this drive maybe more than the others. Very twisty as you climb up out of the Frio valley. The rain stopped just before Medina. We only had to dodge one deer. After you're out of the canyon you can cruise and enjoy the beautiful scenery. That day was a really good one. Wet and cool, but fun.

I'll probably do it the same way the next time except to spend a couple of extra days checking out the state parks, the motorcycle museum, maybe ride down to Langtry and see the Pecos canyon bridge. My buddy had to get back to work, so we didn't get to tourist around much.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great write up. Our plan is a three day, two night trip. It's only a 4 hour drive from Houston so the first day will give us some time to explore when we get there. Day two will be the Three Sisters and more exploring. We will have at least have a half day on third day to explore more before ride back. The wife and I have gone on several day trips of 400 plus miles on the bike but never an over night trip. I'm sharing your post with her and she is as excited as I am. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife surprised my when I got home, she had made hotel reservations for our trip. She booked at the Leakey Inn. She searched things to do in the Hill Country and has a loooog list. I've mapped to so only about 100 miles of the planned 800 miles total trip are on interstate, lots of side roads. As I'm typing this she comes and tells me she ordered a new set of chaps for herself. This trip is sounding better every day.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Keep us posted. Can't wait to hear about your trip. Sounds like you will see a lot more of the country around there than I did.

Temps down into the teens around here today. Last night I got out on the highway to see what my new cold weather gear would do. It was 25 degrees, roads dry. It wasn't bad. I could do it if I had to, I guess. Glove liners didn't seem to work. Face shield wants to fog up. But for the most part, it was ok. I guess that's a success since I really only expect to use this stuff in more normal chilly weather. 40s maybe. 50s.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wife and I leave Tuesday morning for our ride. Should be sunny and cool (low of 45 and high of 65). This will be our first multi day trip (three days) on a bike. Here is a snap shot of our way there:

Here are a few routes planned once we get there:

We are staying in Leakey. I will post pictures when we get back. Spent the day cleaning and preparing bike. Remember I daily commute and the bike was filthy. Here in Houston we have had 8 straight weekends of rain so other than a quick wipe down the bike has not been cleaned, and it rained today! I did do a few mods on the bike and will post later.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Totally jealous. Wish I was going. I can't even ride the neighborhood. I got a little work done on my knee and can't ride at all for another week. So naturally, the weather has been perfect.

Your day one map says a little over 5 hours. Leave yourself plenty of daylight for the run from Medina to Leakey. That's one of the prettiest and twistiest parts of the sisters ride. The twisty part starts west of Vanderpool as I recall. It's twisty on the drop down into the Frio valley. The rest is pretty normal. You'll be sharing the road with an occasional school bus, a very few commuters, and deer.

Keep us posted if you can. Really looking forward to hearing about it and can use any info on my next trip. Hope you enjoy the Inn as much as I did.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally jealous. Wish I was going. I can't even ride the neighborhood. I got a little work done on my knee and can't ride at all for another week. So naturally, the weather has been perfect.

Your day one map says a little over 5 hours. Leave yourself plenty of daylight for the run from Medina to Leakey. That's one of the prettiest and twistiest parts of the sisters ride. The twisty part starts west of Vanderpool as I recall. It's twisty on the drop down into the Frio valley. The rest is pretty normal. You'll be sharing the road with an occasional school bus, a very few commuters, and deer.

Keep us posted if you can. Really looking forward to hearing about it and can use any info on my next trip. Hope you enjoy the Inn as much as I did.
Plan is to leave between 9am and 10am, want to wait until morning traffic clears some. I figure on that 5 hours turning into 8 hours by the time we eat and take a break or two. We should easily make San Antonio by three o'clock (before rush hour) which will still give us 4 hours of sunlight to enjoy the Medina to Leakey run. Yea, I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I didn't really get a vacation last year as I used all mine after the hurricane helping flooded relatives. So besides a run down down to Galveston for Lone Star Rally with wife there were not any other trips. Right now my only concern is the 40 degree mornings for the wife. I have cold weather gear but she only has a mesh jacket with protection and leathers. We have came up with a few layers that will fit under the jacket. Worst case she can put her rain suit on. Everything I have read says cell signal is real sketchy, so updates might be when we get back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
"Everything I have read says cell signal is real sketchy, so updates might be when we get back. "

Tru dat. I am AT&T and was ok in Leakey and even some of the corners on the sisters ride. My bud was Brand X and was without service after we left sight of the interstate. Ha. That'll teach him. A summary when you get back would be excellent.

In case no one has mentioned it, places to pull over and snap some pix are few and unpredictable. There are a few pullouts. The best scenes are usually where the road is tightest. Nature's a bitch.

40s is pretty nippy alrighty. Women have been wearing those yoga pants or leggings or whatever they call them which, besides upping the entertainment value of a walk around the mall, are also supposed to be fairly warm under jeans.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Everything I have read says cell signal is real sketchy, so updates might be when we get back. "

Tru dat. I am AT&T and was ok in Leakey and even some of the corners on the sisters ride. My bud was Brand X and was without service after we left sight of the interstate. Ha. That'll teach him. A summary when you get back would be excellent.

In case no one has mentioned it, places to pull over and snap some pix are few and unpredictable. There are a few pullouts. The best scenes are usually where the road is tightest. Nature's a bitch.

40s is pretty nippy alrighty. Women have been wearing those yoga pants or leggings or whatever they call them which, besides upping the entertainment value of a walk around the mall, are also supposed to be fairly warm under jeans.
I'm on Sprint. I printed all my maps out just in case of no service. Yes, she will have leggings, jeans and leathers.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wife and I leave Tuesday morning for our ride. Should be sunny and cool (low of 45 and high of 65). This will be our first multi day trip (three days) on a bike. Here is a snap shot of our way there:

Here are a few routes planned once we get there:

We are staying in Leakey. I will post pictures when we get back. Spent the day cleaning and preparing bike. Remember I daily commute and the bike was filthy. Here in Houston we have had 8 straight weekends of rain so other than a quick wipe down the bike has not been cleaned, and it rained today! I did do a few mods on the bike and will post later.
We got on the road at 10am. On schedule. Was 42 degrees when we left. We have gone 140 miles with one stop before our current lunch stop. Was a little cool this morning but 60 now. Wife and bike doing good. Wife says new ultimate seat is great.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We made it to hotel. 300 miles and 8 hours. We stopped several times, gas, eat and chill time. This is a criuse and are taking our time, meaning doing speed limit. Think I'm at the load limit for an 1100. Wife and I together is about 325. Both saddle bags full. Large backrest style luggage bag full. It's a lit of weight up high and bike handled totally different. It was very nose light which made steering twitchy. After we got to hotel we unloaded, jumped back on bike to get dinner. The bike handle great again with luggage bag off. Everyone how stated that 337 coming into Leakey was a great ride, you are 100 percent correct. We will be out riding all day tomorrow and will post some pictures later. I have no cell signal, only hotel wifi. Suppose to be in low 40s here in the morning so we might sleep in a bit. After 8 hours on the new Ultimate passenger seat the wife is very happy.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wife and I made it home safe and sound. Three days and a bit over 900 miles. I'm attaching a Google photo link, hope it works. Please remember that my wife or I am not photographers, as you can tell ��. Day one was great, slow cruising, plenty of food and great scenery. If anyone going out to ride the Three sisters I will recommend Leaky Inn that graybeard suggested. It's nice, clean and friendly. It's not a 4 star by any means but my wife, who can be pickey, gave it a thumbs up. Day two was FANTASTIC!!. We got up, had a great country breakfast and hit the road. We road the Twisted Sister clockwise starting in Leakey. The loop is 107 miles and took us 3 hours. Stopped several times for pictures along with a few water stops. Wife was doing great till this sign.

Then this sign came up on next road.

So second half on that ride was slower. We stopped at the Bent Rim Cafe for lunch. We are sitting there with a great burger talking about our morning ride. My wife stated that having her on the bike had taken some on the fun out of the ride for me. I told her no that this was our anniversary ride. She said yes, but she knew I had really taken it easy with her on the bike. Then she said to make her happy to do the loop by myself. Well, I had to make the wife happy. She said she would give 3 hours then call the rescue squad out ��. I road the Three Sisters counter clockwise this time. I got back in one hour and 20 minutes. I'm sure it's not a record but that was about all the ass puckering this old man could handle. Got back to the Inn, loaded wife up and did the 337 run Medina and back. We road over 300 miles on day two. Day three was time to head back home. We left in sun shine and returned via 337 again. All was great till we got into San Antonio and a front was blowing in from the south. Gusting winds up to 35 mph hitting sideways for 3 hours. I mean the type that you are having to lean the bike sideways to go straight. Anyway, we had a great time, riding over 900 miles in three days. The wife was a real trooper and really enjoyed herself. I got to enjoy her company and still got my adrililine rush riding the Three Sisters once by myself. The new Ultimate Seat is a winner. The wife needed a bathroom break before a butt break. Thanks to all that suggested roads, places to stay and eat, they were all great. Here's the photo link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BQMgOsRmyKQQfbg93

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a video from yesterday. Wife recorded while on back of bike. Look past the helmet for some great scenery. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is another short one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts