Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'd like to tell you how I got here. In the summer of1982 I was a sixteen year old painting my dads house, listening to John Cougars (at the time) Jack and Dianne and dreaming of freedom. Freedom for me was to be an 82 Honda Rebel with wire wheels and an electric starter! My parents pushed me into a car instead. Fast forward to 1986 when I was in the Navy (yes Canada has one!) and a roommate offered me his 650 Honda for the price of a battery. I was more interested in girls. We now fast forward at 128 speed and bypass a marriage, two beautiful and great kids, a divorce and many years of existence alone in my head, I did not go crazy but was pretty alone. Now, on to the fun part.
Last month, I had one of my friends over and I had not seen him in quite some time. Over supper he tells me about a bike that his ex girlfriend wants unless I know someone else who wanted it, I said sure, I'll take it and left it at that. The next Monday, I call him up and ask him if he really was going to give me a bike and he said yes, we'll go pick it up on Saturday...WTF and by the way, its a 2004 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic with about 25 000KM (15000miles). Holy carp, I jumped on the internet to find out what I been given. Having never had a bike permit before, I signed up for a course. The next Saturday we picked it up and I was freaking out, finally, after 35 years was my dream about to come true. Turns out, yes. Here in Quebec, Canada, due to higher than average bike deaths (so the government says), bike courses are required and consist of a mandatory written theoretical test of 32 questions, 16 hours of closed course training, 10 hours of on the road training and another test with a DOT person on the road. Having passed all this, one must the drive with another licensed rider for 11 months (6 months of my year in snowy). After the 11 month learner period, another test and Yeah, nearly winter again! So thats the story for now, this past weekend I purchased a Shoie RF SR helmet along with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket, in brilliant black and fluorescent green. I will be seen! Thanks for your time, I get a bit long winded at times!
I will attach some pics once I have them trimmed down in size.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Sounds like you are going have fun in your new venture. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Welcome from NB and congratulations on your new acquisition. That was quite a gift! You're gonna love the 1100.

That 11 month ride-along deal is something else. Just to clarify - does the 11 months include winter (when you obviously won't be riding) or is it 11 months of riding season? That would mean almost 3 years before you could ride freely!

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Very cool. I had an off road MC for most of my life, but didnt really get the bug for riding on the street till I was 56 (4 years ago).

Now Im loving every ride, 22,000 miles on my VS 650

have fun, take your time, enjoy the rush of floating down the road on two wheels

dont dwell on the past, we only exist in the present.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Greetings from northern Newfoundland, and welcome to the forum! Be sure to keep us posted as to your progress, and we love to see pictures!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee there syncro, I agree with my fellow members, quite a gift! Looking forward to seeing your pics and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Just to clarify, the 11 months of apprenticeship do contain the winter months, so if the snow is all gone by May, I will have to pair up with another rider till about july.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I suppose they made it 11 months so you couldn't time it so it happened in winter, allowing you to basically just wait out the ride-along part in the off season.

Nice looking bike. You even got the Silverado model with the factory saddle bags, windshield and studded seats. Like I said before, you're gonna love it!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome from Ontario! No requirement here to pair up with another rider, just a graduated licensing system. So you take a written and visual test first for the first stage (M1) which allows you to ride with restrictions. Then you do a road test for stage 2 (M2) which is good for 5 years and you cannot drink any alcohol. Final stage is full M license with no restrictions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The laws are so different eveywhere...Talk about standards:) I just came in after sitting on her and testing out the clutch, what a nice rumble! I will need a right hand mirror which appears to have a CCW thread, Wow, Go Yamaha!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jeeze, you may be revealing a Canadian trend here.
Just last year I came back to riding after a 30 year+ break. Had to take the MC foundation course (didn't have to take it back in the day) and get the feel for riding again - a big Yammy this time. Bought a Shoie and a Joe Rocket jacket (Gasp! Do all Canuks do this?). Now I'm riding in the big smoke of Toronto instead of up north in Sudbury and man do I miss those winding two-lane northern highways! Good to hear another "Late Bloomer" story about keeping the dream alive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome syncro92 to our forum.My heart was touched to read your intro and to learn your dream has come true. Amazing gift and an awesome 2004 1100 motorcycle. Be careful and practice lots. So happy for you. It is a nice looking ride for sure. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts