Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to remove my mufflers and install home made straight pipes. I'm thinking about bobbing my bike and like the straight pipe look. Just don't like the price of new full pipes that I'm gonna wrap anyways... Any thoughts on this? I understand I will have to rejet the carbs and will also be adding a pod set up... Any help/ advise will be appreciated... 02 vstar 1100 custom...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ken. I have some fab experience from my job (steeplejack). Also have access to welding and cutting equipment. I need to know more about the back pressure issue. I was thinking I could make 2-3 cuts along the pipes and weld half moon baffles in them to restrict the air flow.... I started my bike with the mufflers off once and it was so cool sounding I wanted to ride it like that, but was afraid I might hurt something in the engine. Do the half moon baffles sound like a reasonable thing to try??? Has anyone made their own pipes that could chime in on this??? Thanks

Stan

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Tiger. What I got from it is that mileage and performance may suffer. That being said, I'm curious if we're talking about huge numbers here. I understand that large amounts of $$$ were spent by the manufacturer on r and d but I have to wonder if the money was spent to make the bike go fast or to make it quiet. My 1100 sounded like a sewing machine until I drilled out the rear baffles. I didn't notice any power loss but I did hear more sound. My mileage didn't change noticeably ( I always fill up at 200 km). After pulling out the baffle I was amazed at how small the inside diameter of the baffle was. My plan is to make slip on straight pipes so I can always change back to the mufflers if I want. I know on car exhausts people run headers that can be opened up to bypass the rest of the exhaust for racing. My only real concern is potential damage to the engine (eg. burned valves or burned pistons). Any info or first hand experience in this area would be great. Again, thanks for the replys....

Stan

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't really think sound is a manufacturer's consideration when talking exhaust. I haven't even ridden my new Strat, just bought it and won't get from dealer until Spring. I have heard the Strat has a nice sound/tone from factory, but I am sure I will be changing the exhaust anyhow. I am leaning towards the Freedom Exhaust True Duals. From info they sent me they designed the exhaust for stock tuning and on the bike with what they call "step" technology to replicate the correct back pressure for max torque. Believe what you read?? In this case, probably, but don't care, the look of the exhaust is awesome (to me)!! And from videos I have found on YouTube the sound is a mellow rumble and not ear shattering loud.

Dealer recommends not installing duals until after first service (600 miles) that gives time for bike to break in and you know how it feels with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new bike. I couldn't leave it at the dealership... I understand it's safer there but would still want it in my garage so I could oogle it all winter. But that's me. I would be sitting out there for hours daydreaming about how cool it was gonna be to tear up the road on that thing. I bought my bike in late fall 2012. I didn't put it on the road till spring 2013. I went through half a tank of gas just starting it and hanging out with it all winter. I prolly spent 40 hours just looking and wiping and cleaning and dreaming over the winter. It's my first bike and although it has a little character from previous owners, it also has lots of shiney paint and sparkling chrome. I gotta say, the manufacturer didn't hold much back in the chrome department. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy the scenery.

Stan

·
Registered
600 Posts
WISH I had garage space to keep it here. :mad:

I store my bike for winter at the dealer anyhow, and the day I took the V-Star 1300 there to store it is the day I saw the 2014 Strat on the showroom floor. Color had me from first look. I visit her once in a while and she is there waiting for the Yammy stuff I ordered to be installed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
does he really need to add back pressure? what exactly happens to performance if he leaves the pipes with no restrictions?
You will suffer from loss of torque, and the motor while breathing better will feel like it is pulling less as a result. And it can get difficult to tune because of this. Your "powerband" is moved higher in the RPM range, and usually above the rev range of the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well to be honest, my "garage" is a 10 x12 brown tarp like tent that I bought from Canadian Tire on sale. I layed down a sheet of 6mm poly with 2" semi rigid foam on top and then built a floor out of 2x6 and 3/4 plywood scavenged from work. I sealed the walls to the floor with termination bars that are used to terminate roofing membrane to cement walls. I lined the walls and roof with 1" shiplap styrofoam and sealed that with red tuck tape. I have an electric heater that runs constantly on low to get rid of moisture and i have a propane heater that I fire up when I'm in there working (or more so dreaming). It's compact but gives me enough room for a rolling stool, a tool box, an ashtray and a six pack. It works for me and keeps my baby protected from the elements. I would love to have a real garage but I live in the city and there just isn't space to build one. I shouldve bought a house with a garage I guess but buying a motorcycle was just a dream when I bought my house. We all do what we can do I guess...

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
I don't really think sound is a manufacturer's consideration when talking exhaust.
more than you think. there was a big lawsuit by Harley and some metric bike companies over Harley's attempt to patent their exhaust note. asian bikes had been changing their exhaust to more closely mimic the sound of Harley bikes. Harley ultimately lost.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
2009 stratoliner w/ cobra slip on muffler, K&N air filter, power pro module... sounds great runs great.. this setup solved low speed 2nd gear roll on. Before I found myself shifting to 2nd to soon, ie it was lugging in 2nd. Now it pulls nicely w/o lugging. Made the bike much more predictable and enjoyable. Mileage probably dropped slightly as the module makes it run slightly richer & cooler. So the bike is less green and more mean. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I realize this thread is a few months old but in regards to manufactures designing exhaust systems for sound considerations, I was surprised today when I removed the exhaust on my '03 1100 Classic and stamped in the back of the muffler is a notification. It basically stated that "This muffler was designed to meet EPA sound emission limits." It gave a engine model and stated use on any other engine may not be legal. There was also a reference number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts