Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads out there about this already, but I'm very curious about how much milage I should/could/would be getting on my new (old) VStar650.

I drove it 2.5 hrs the other day to SF and got about 95 miles out of the tank before having to switch over to the reserve tank. Speed limit is 65 out here and I was probably going 74ish on average.

I'd thought I'd be getting better milage out of this, but from the reading I did on some other threads, at this speed the bike really does get less milage.

Can anyone confirm or deny this and/or tell me if this is what should be happening with the bike? Around my area I was getting about 120-130 out of the regular tank before switching over to the reserve, which definitely incorporates highway driving as I live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for any stories, advice, whatsoever!

·
Registered
39 Posts
at around 115km/hr (65 - 70 mph) i get around 200km (125 miles) pre tank of strait highway riding before i hit reserve.(less depending on wind speed and direction) If i stay off the highways i get around 260km (165 miles)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at around 115km/hr (65 - 70 mph) i get around 200km (125 miles) pre tank of strait highway riding before i hit reserve.(less depending on wind speed and direction) If i stay off the highways i get around 260km (165 miles)
Awesome thanks!

Anyone else have the same bike and want to share? I'm all ears!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I get right at 120mi on a tank, and will plan opportunity to fuel up right at 100. If my wife and I are out together, she will insist on stopping for fuel between 85 and 90. I think her Shadow gets slightly more mileage on a tank, but she never pushes limit when it comes down to having to "hoof it".

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will get around 145 to 155 miles to reserve. I run the mid grade 89 octane I believe. I have found the 89 octane will get 20 to 25 miles more than the 87 octane but with 92 octane I only 5 to 10 miles over the 89. I have also found that different brands do better than others. I have been as low as 135 miles and as high as 165 to reserve. We usually stay off the interstate and stick to the State routes generally two up and around 60 mph.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Really appreciate the comments everyone. Went back down to the Bay again this weekend and realized I was not fully filling the tank. Got about 115 out of it before switching to reserve this time - much much better!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I get roughly 160-180 kms per tank on my 99 650 classic before switching to reserve. And on average I go about 70km/h. This is also with a upgraded exhaust and the AIS removed. The windshield probably hurts the mileage too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2013 V-Star 650 Custom. I usually get 125-130 miles on a tank before I have to switch to reserve, but I generally fuel up at about 100 miles, especially if I know that I am going to be on a long stretch of lonely road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm only on my third tank, but my 04, with saddlebags and windshield, I'm getting 48-50 mpg. After my first fill, I had to go to reserve at 160 miles. Since then I start looking after I pass 150, just to be safe. Most driving is about 25% city, 75% hiway (55-65 mph). Gets over double the mileage of my 4cyl Ranger pickup!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I go roughly between 120 to 140 on a tank at 65 - 70 mph, but try to fill up between the 100 - 120 mile mark on my 98 650 Classic. I use the 89 octane mid grade fuel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got gas last weekend - rode a tad over 100 miles and it took 1.8 gallons so I suppose that is a bit over 50mpg. Not bad and I'm one that likes to pour on the power in the straightaways! But then again who the heck isn't like that?? I have a windshield and a sissy bar but no bags (yet - thinking of getting a bag to go over the sissy bar and sit on the luggage rack).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts