Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, saying hello from Columbus Ohio and a 2001 V-Star 1100 Custom.

This is my first year riding motorcycles. I started in March on a Suzuki S40 (650cc) and upgraded in June to the V-Star, taking the MSF Basic course in-between. I LOVE this Yamaha and am averaging 500 miles/month, mostly just riding around and enjoying Ohio bi-ways. I've been working up to next weekend's Mountainfest in Morgantown WV, which'll be my first long-distance ride and first rally. Should be fun, and I have family and friends there I'll get to reconnect with - nice bonus!

I also wanted to thank everyone for their posts - this forum was one of the reasons why I pulled the trigger on the V-Star and I've silently been absorbing the wisdom of the crowd for a few weeks. :) As a way to pay it forward, I uploaded a video showing how I made custom windguard lowers to get rid of helmet buffeting with stuff easily obtained from Lowes. Hope it's useful to someone.

Anyway, if any fellow enthusiasts in the area would like to share the ride or wrench, gimme a shout.

Happy riding!
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Scott ! Fellow DIY'er. I'm curious about your nicname ?

I'm a Taildragger pilot myself, build and maintain Sport biplanes. Own a Pitts S1S bipe. I fabricate parts for many different types of projects in my own home machine shop also. I work with aluminum, lots of chrome molly steel, steel, some stainless, and also some fiberglass.

Now I like your DIY approach to your lowers. And have a few positive issues for you to add to your project if needed. The do look pretty good, my constructive comments:

Every place you removed the top coating on your aluminum parts, hack sawed, filed, sanded, drilled is now opened to raw aluminum, the stock parts are coated for corrosion protection. And you have to watch out for dissimilar metal caused corrosion, steel or galvanized screws going through raw aluminum will be a corrosion point. As you know aluminum don't really rust, it just turns white and starts coming apart if exposed to the elements. One solution would be to put a good clear coat of enamel paint on the aluminum parts, this would extend the life of the parts. And although I can't see the screws and hardware you used, I use Stainless steel cap screws allot, even though stainless does rust, contrary to belief, it's much slower than steal and if protected they will last a long time. As far as strength now, this is low strength general purpose aluminum, used for GP stuff in doors, windows and what have you, it's not structural like Aircraft aluminum would be. And you tension bolted/screwed it into your existing windshield aluminum brackets. Point here is the screw strength, in tension and also side loading in sheer. your total strength here is in your two mounting screws. I doubt if it would hurt anything if one of the screws breaks from the wind load on the shields. But it could surprise you if one lets go and starts banging around. I would be interested in how well they hold up to the wind loads, I'm just guessing at your bracket thickness, what 3/4 angle by 1/8 thick ? I use this stuff all the time also, but never in a critical stressed area. Btw, I'm using a set of Bucks lowers I got off of Ebay for 50 bucks. Now it's hardware is much larger and they are angled the same as the forks, where yours are straight up and down. Like I said I'm looking forward to seeing how these hold up for you. I realize we all learn from the various things we make, so good wishes to your low cost project. And welcome aboard. Stay safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dcody40! I appreciate the feedback and certainly understand how one would become so focused on metal corrosion and mounting strength on aircraft (some of the planes I rent are 40+ years old). One of these days I hope to build an ultralight or LSA and will have to be similarly as serious! I may also go back and take your advice on my lowers - I still have enough parts to make a second set and could coat them, use stainless hardware, etc. I do think the bolts I used are strong enough - I've put lots and lots of angular stress to test them and they are *solid* and I've also subsequently angled the lowers to the same angle as the windscreen to shift the wind stress vector considerably. I've also loctited the bolt/nut connections to reduce the chances of them unwinding from cycle vibration (a habit learned building, maintaining and flying RC helicopters). Which reminds me - I need to update the video with my recent changes. Thanks again for the feedback - I genuinely appreciate it, and wish we we closer so I could pick up airplane building tips! Take care!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Rudderfeet

Good to hear from you, another thought for you is adding some rubber bushings to your mounting tab area, You know that kind of soft aluminum will fatigue pretty fast with the constant bucking wind loads you will be hitting. My Strat has the MS Batwing fairing installed, and it's showing small signs of damage due to the windload it's deflecting, the mounting tabs are showing aluminum wear, dark grey powder looking stuff, I'm watching it, ready to build up the four mounting points some to last longer, I would not want that puppy coming lose while running high speed on a windy day. It may hurt.
I would really like it if Yamaha built a frame mounted fairing like the old Ventures had in the 80's for the Stratoliner series.

You should be on the lookout for some other bikes using the bucks lowers, it's a very good example of vibration proofing the lowers. I also learned from full sized Rotor and fixed wing aircraft, along with the RC stuff also, had many learning experiences in the 80's with RC heli's. I quit when the pile of rotor blades got bigger than the heli lol. Enjoy the building stuff, I love it. And you will notice a big improvement with the lowers installed versus none.
Stay in touch, we have lots in common besides bikes. Pm me anytime.

Duane

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll def stay in touch Duane, and thanks for the additional tips! I'm hoping to make it to Mountainfest in Morgantown WV this weekend and should have a few thousand lowers to gander at!

Thank you TraumaJimRN! Wishing y'all our rain, but not so much it takes electricity out like it did a couple weeks ago in Ohio, WV, PA, MD, VA...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts