Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning from Texas, I Picked me up a 03 road star Silverado this weekend. Looks like I'm the 3rd owner the last owner let her set up for a bit, judging by the brake wear and the air filter he wasn't great on maintenance, So ill be giving it a thorough inspection and a lot of cleaning before i get rip-roaring. Any pointers on what to look for would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,305 Posts
Welcome from Iowa and another Roadie rider. Good idea to go over the bike and check everything out prior to riding. A couple quick thoughts, if it sat for a while, how old are the tires? Should be a 4 digit code indicating week/year of manufacture. Anything beyond 5-7 years is considered old enough to warrant replacement. Do you have a bike jack to lift the bike off the ground? If so, I'd do a "flop test" on the front end. It will give you an idea of the steering stem bearings. If those get loose it can cause a bike to feel a bit squirrely.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. Congrats on your new bike. What part of our great state are you from. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome from Cary, NC. Congratulations on your purchase and may she give you many a mile of smiles. Along with the tires (that's very important), I'd add a full oil change, scope the tank (LED flashlight looking for any corrosion), filters, check the plugs for the right color to show lean, rich or just right and then do a full yearly maintenance (lube all points, cables, Etc.). I'm learning on how to work on my bikes, so I had a local dealer I trust walk me through what (and why), they were going to do certain things to the bike when I asked for a post purchase check out. I learned I know less about mechanics that I do electronics, but that's the fun of doing things yourself if you can :)

Enjoy my friend,

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips, I do have a jack and will do a "flop test" on the front end. " as soon as i google it and see what that is. Thus far i plan to Do an oil change, inspect & replace plugs, check and inspect all fluids, Check all cables and linkages. Remove & clean carb, replace fuel filter. I will replace the rear brakes and the rotor, (front looks good) I'm not sure what the allowable tolerance for wear is but there is visible wear on it. The tires are worn so it will get new tires, tubes and a liner as needed. I did download the 449 page service manual so I've got a lot of reading ahead of me. OF cource the aftermarket LED headlamp isnt working so ill be looking into that also. FUN FUN

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,305 Posts
Sounds like you've got a great plan of action. Let us know how it all goes. We enjoy talking bikes around here. :yessmile:

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola,
What part of Texas, that is the only state that is so big you are never close to anyone.

Reactions: Durnik

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,510 Posts
Deer Park, Just south east of Houston.
Just moved from Katy after being there since 1973, moved to the Hill Country a few months ago when I retired to get out of the rat race. If you ever want to ride the Twisted Sisters or any other hill country roads, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did some vacationing over there a few weeks ago , A ride there definitely on my list of things to do, as well as Winding Stair Mountain in the Ouachita National Forest in OK.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,540 Posts
Hello @That-Guy and welcome from a displaced Texan in Virginia

·
Registered
164 Posts
That-Guy,

Houston? Sheesh, one of my worst (they got better as I came back more and better prepared) experiences. I was working in downtown San Francisco where even in the summer you wore wool suits (back then when we wore suits). Was called to go make a 3 day visit to Houston with a customer so I packed and wore wool suits. I honestly think I've left melted pieces of me over that city in that summer heat and humidity.

Once I learned, I came back often for other trips and if you dress right, it's darn beautiful and a great place.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
810 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Mont Belvieu, so by Texas standards we're almost next door neighbors. Worked in Deer Park/LaPorte for 40+ years, the last 37 at what is now the LyondellBasell LaPorte complex before blissfully riding off into the sunset (so to speak).

·
Registered
'06 Stratoliner S / '02 RoadStar Warrior
119 Posts
Welcome from Athens, Georgia.
Good move going with a RoadStar. They are well designed and executed. They're easy to work on, and respond well to minor mods.
I've owned and ridden 4 R/S's. I now have an '02 R/S Warrior and an '06 Stratoliner S. I owned an M/C service/repair shop from '08-'15. During that time, I relished punishing my friends that ride H/Ds on the streets and back roads of central Georgia on my '00 R/S HotRod. They hated that scooter because they couldn't run with it. No internal mods...just intake (ported), exhaust (2 1/2 " w/short baffles), and some jetting. That scooter would rock. Still does... sold it to my step-son (he was riding an R-1) for $1.00. It's still in my scooter shed. Bought an '04 R/S for a long-distance rider and sold it to a close friend who wore out his '99 SuperGlide. Bought an '05 R/S Silverado from my wife's uncle and rode it for about 2 years. Found a 1-owner, low mileage '06 'Liner and sold the '05 R/S to another close friend. I regularly ride with both of the men that bought the '04 and '05, so I still see both scooters often. They're both still in great condition and performing as designed. The '00 is still punishing H/Ds regularly.
I hope you enjoy your RoadStar even half as much as I did mine. I truly loved every one of them. You might want to check out the Road Star Clinic. Lots of folks over there who know a whole lot about "Roadies".
Enjoy the ride !! :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts