Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I have a RAM x-mount that holds my phone very securely, and I do like the ability make adjustments for how the phone is positioned. I've used it for about a year now with no problems. I recently took a 600 mile ride and when I got done, my phone camera was no longer working. Doing a little digging, I found that phones with image stabilization are fairly susceptible to vibration damage, with my Pixel 2 being especially fragile. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any good mounts out there that address this? I love the idea of the Quad Lock mount, but don't see anything on vibration for it, even though it is designed for the newer, higher end phones that have camera stabilizers. I guess it's possible that I've also dropped the phone one too many times, but it seems an awful big coincidence that right after a long ride this problem pops up. I searched the forum and there is a lot of info on mounts and how well they hold phones, but nothing on vibration.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ride is a 2012 v star 950. I feel vibration in the handlebars, but nothing more than I felt on my 650 or either of my Dad's Harleys.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the same bike (2012 V Star 950) and I do not feel that much vibration thru the bars. You will always have some vibration.
I use my LG G7 mounted on the handlebars with a Ram mount also and have not had an issue. About the longest I've rode continuously with phone on bars was about 2 hours.
It may just be your phone.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
I might be wrong, but don't feel the vibration is the cause of phone issues. I ride a Harley, know for bad vibration. Had the same phone holder (Amazon bar clamp) and same style phone (LG V30 and LG V40) for 18 months and over 10k miles. I've ridden 600 miles days, Three Sisters twisties, Dragon Tail and other major roads. Drive daily on the horrible Houston roads. Phone vibrates so bad at idle I have to hold phone still to read it. Once off idle vibration almost totally goes away. I took a short video when I got home to show how bad the vibration is. It's not a good video, but hopefully you get the idea of the vibration my phone endures daily. I had the same setup on my Vstar 1100 for years with many different phones and never had an issue. From my experience I say it was coincidence that your phone is giving you issues after a long ride. Yes, my bike is dirty and yard needs cut. It's been raining off and on for weeks and yard is too soggy to cut.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of my daily rides are short, about 15 mile commute and maybe 100 miles if I have to go to a project site. This was the first time I used the mount on a ride more than about 150 miles. Still worked good after the first 300, noticed the problem after 600.

That said, it makes sense that this wouldn't be a mount issue, as there would be thousands of message board posts for how awful RAM mounts are. I've read a little more, and it seems that the Pixel 2 is a bit to the fragile side as far as the optical stabilizers go. From the sounds of things, I should switch to LG, as you guys have shaken the hell out of them with no problem.

Thanks for being a sounding board.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
Well, at least I've shaken my LG to death without issues. I get harassed all the time for currently being on a bone shaker, long story but I'll keep it for a while.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder if your phone was getting ready to go and this last trip finally shook it loose. I am on my 3rd riding season with the same phone & mount with no issues. I have a Samsung A6 and Kuryakyn tech mount. When i was shopping for a mount I dont recall any advertised as vibe reducing. When I changed my stock grips to Kury ISO grips, the vibe was so bad my hands hurt after 10 minutes, I couldnt stand it. I added the weighted bar ends and it killed the vibe. Some say filling your bars with lead shot will kill the vibe also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if your phone was getting ready to go and this last trip finally shook it loose. I am on my 3rd riding season with the same phone & mount with no issues. I have a Samsung A6 and Kuryakyn tech mount. When i was shopping for a mount I dont recall any advertised as vibe reducing. When I changed my stock grips to Kury ISO grips, the vibe was so bad my hands hurt after 10 minutes, I couldnt stand it. I added the weighted bar ends and it killed the vibe. Some say filling your bars with lead shot will kill the vibe also.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's likely the case. I've read some comments on other boards from Pixel 2 owners that they went through several phones in the first year of ownership due to the same problem I'm having, so maybe that's it. I've found two mounts that advertise as anti-vibe, but they're both pretty damn salty. One is a Buzz Kill mount, which is an accessory to Perfect Squeeze. All-in is about $150. The other is from Adaptiv, which is $120.

Thing is, the vibe isn't awful. I mean I pull a hand off the bars after about an hour or so for a few seconds, but again, nothing worse than my old 650, or my Dad's two Harleys, which as Les stated, are a lot worse at idle than my 950 is. More and more it sounds like a coincidence and the long ride was just the final straw. I may try weighted bar ends though, just to deaden the vibe a little. Not sure I want to fill the bars with shot, I can see a bad weight shift if you don't get them 100% full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts