Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my music. Probably as much as I love riding. I listen to blues, jazz and rock like John Hiatt, Van Morrison, Neville Bros., Little Feat and lots of soul and Motown. Love Marvin Gaye and Al Green.

I've got Bowers and Wilkins speakers all around with a 12" SVS 1000 series subwoofer in my home theater and an average Yamaha AV receiver. I'm looking at some $500 or under integrated amps to really clean up the music I listen to.

I've narrowed it down to a Yamaha, an NAD, Emotiva or Cambridge Audio amp. I love my speakers so I won't making any changes there. I'd like the amp to have a bypass so I can also continue using the AV receiver for movies.

Anyone have experience with integrated amps, thoughts - suggestions?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know what you mean, One of the reasons I bought a Strat Deluxe was the I-Pod set up. My brother just sent me Roxy Music Country Life. He has the original album that plays on a turntable with USB port so you get all the pops and cracks like the old days.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I finally coughed up $70 and got a pair of these:

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K240-Studio.html

I wish I had bought them 30 years ago.

They sound good plugged into a tablet or Ipod, but in my Harmon Kardon 33W receiver they are just perfect.

One of the things I like doing is putting a song into Pandora and seeing what it comes up with. One of the best channels I have now started out with "In a gadda DaVida". It did something with that I was surprised by.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s bands started doing songs that covered the entire side of an album. Usually 20 minutes long it was make-out music (work friendly explanation). The Iron butterfly song was one of those, and Panadora came up with a whole bunch of long versions of classic rock from that time period - some I had never heard before.

About the AKG K240 headphones - seriously - If you dont have a pair of excellent headphones, you can get these for less than $70 online, or you can buy them from any Guitar Center store.

obviously I dont wear them on my bike, but I use them in my car (they are open speakers, so you can hear outside sounds pretty well). When I have a long flight I also take them on the plane.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I love my music. Probably as much as I love riding. I listen to blues, jazz and rock like John Hiatt, Van Morrison, Neville Bros., Little Feat and lots of soul and Motown. Love Marvin Gaye and Al Green.

I've got Bowers and Wilkins speakers all around with a 12" SVS 1000 series subwoofer in my home theater and an average Yamaha AV receiver. I'm looking at some $500 or under integrated amps to really clean up the music I listen to.

I've narrowed it down to a Yamaha, an NAD, Emotiva or Cambridge Audio amp. I love my speakers so I won't making any changes there. I'd like the amp to have a bypass so I can also continue using the AV receiver for movies.

Anyone have experience with integrated amps, thoughts - suggestions?
I’m there bro! I just upgraded my whole theater to an 86” 4K SUHD 3D tv with a full 10 bit processor. The wife wanted to upgrade surround, so I went with a Yamaha Aventage 7.1.2 900watt system with Polk Audio in wall speakers (9 of them) and a 12” Klipsch 400watt powered subwoofer.
The Aventage series has an integrated amplifier which is also able to go “direct” AND can be set up for DUAL audio zones.
The one I purchased 2yrs ago on sale at Best Buy was $849 SALE PRICE.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I finally coughed up $70 and got a pair of these:

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional Headphones/K240-Studio.html

I wish I had bought them 30 years ago.

They sound good plugged into a tablet or Ipod, but in my Harmon Kardon 33W receiver they are just perfect.

One of the things I like doing is putting a song into Pandora and seeing what it comes up with. One of the best channels I have now started out with "In a gadda DaVida". It did something with that I was surprised by.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s bands started doing songs that covered the entire side of an album. Usually 20 minutes long it was make-out music (work friendly explanation). The Iron butterfly song was one of those, and Panadora came up with a whole bunch of long versions of classic rock from that time period - some I had never heard before.

About the AKG K240 headphones - seriously - If you dont have a pair of excellent headphones, you can get these for less than $70 online, or you can buy them from any Guitar Center store.

obviously I dont wear them on my bike, but I use them in my car (they are open speakers, so you can hear outside sounds pretty well). When I have a long flight I also take them on the plane.
You just reminded me of the old Grand Funk Railroad song “TNUC”. Remember the drums in that?!

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
i used to soup up the audio in my cars in my teens and 20s. now i've got a Nissan Juke which is too small for my ported subwoofer box so it's just been sitting in my garage for the past year and a half. but it's stock with a rockford fosgate system and i don't drive it often so that's good enough for me. as for the bike, i don't know why people prefer external speakers when you can't hear them well at speed and it's constantly battling all the other wind/road/traffic noises. i use a great pair of noise-canceling Shure earbuds which satisfies all my road audio needs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Chief-gunner! Went to a high end audio shop today and I'm salivating. Macintosh, Rotel, Arcam...really premium products. They had a room full of consignment stuff. I'll go back on Sat. when I have time. What to do about the wife now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts