Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've the chance to ride any bike I want from San Antonio to Newport News, VA. in January. If you had that opportunity, what bike would you pick. Freeway and or secondary roads all the way. I may go coastal all the way there, including down the Fl coast to Key West and up. So, long, highway ride.

What bike would you ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gold Wing 1800...that's what I wanted when I came across my current V star. Maybe in a few years, I'll break down a get one.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've the chance to ride any bike I want from San Antonio to Newport News, VA. in January. If you had that opportunity, what bike would you pick. Freeway and or secondary roads all the way. I may go coastal all the way there, including down the Fl coast to Key West and up. So, long, highway ride.

What bike would you ride.
57 Chevy with the heater on high? :cool: I would ride whatever I(or you) got. I would ride my Silverado (1100) and be one happy dude. There again, you could get a ton of answers, everyone has their ideas that suit their beliefs and wants best. Have a good ride:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd look more at handling, I like my 02-650 Classic, it looks GOOD, rides good enough for anything that I intend to do, but I have had a lot of bikes that handled better, I've always liked the handling of a Triumph.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would choose my 950T. Love my bike, she fits me like a glove.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2 bikes come to mind. First would be a VMAX, I always wanted to try one out to see if it is as fast as every one says. Next would be one of the custom built bikes that Orange County Chopper builds. I watch there show on tv and think some of there bikes are awsome but would they be comfortable on a long ride?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There are motorcycle riders and there are name brand riders. The Goldwing is an excellant touring bike. I've been there. I wish I could say the same for "most" Wing riders. I'm sure I'll hear about this!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what bike

Since I started the thread, I will interject that I am leaning to the Goldwing or the BMW. I'll have to ride every day, probably as much as 400 miles a day so it's a lot of time in the saddle. Riding with a partner who would be supplying the bike and he'll ride exactly what I choose. My 1100 Silverado is good. Last year made the Blue Water Highway from San Antonio and around, rode every day but after day 3 my butt had sweat blister (this was in August).

A little bigger than the 1100 would be nice, and all the doodads to entertain me would be great.

Need reliabilty, good handling, cruise power and acceleration a given. But some small roads too.

Still leaning Goldwing. Never had a BMW but my friend has gone on several through Mx/south America rides on them and favors them.

For this ride with someone else paying for everything, I'd probably ride a moped.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey Bucky, This may help(or not) on the butt blister thing. Have taken many multi day hot weather runs and, using a sheepskin(or even fake sheepskin) really done away with that for me. Back in the early days, I'd just use a regular bath towel on the seat, it really did help a ton, never did have the butt thing with even a 3000+ run. Just something to look at:)Ride safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any bike i think i personally would opt for a Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR. Also like Harleys electraglides.

But then again id do the trip on a honda cbr 125 if given the chance cause the pain lasts for a few days but the trip and the memories gained would last forever. And a little pain really adds to the adventure.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Victory Crossroads. 106 c.i. Air shocks. Cruise control.

Vote #2

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
Next would be one of the custom built bikes that Orange County Chopper builds...but would they be comfortable on a long ride?
are you joking? i don't see how those would be comfortable for more than a couple miles. they're built for show, not comfort, and most of them only get you about 50 miles before you have to gas up again.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Any bike i think i personally would opt for a Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR. Also like Harleys electraglides.

But then again id do the trip on a honda cbr 125 if given the chance cause the pain lasts for a few days but the trip and the memories gained would last forever. And a little pain really adds to the adventure.
TinyBear, a guy sure don't see many posts like yours there, I 100% agree! Seems everyone wants total comfort, Sugar Bear always says," Hell, if it was easy, anyone could do it" (must be a Bear thing ;):D) Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts