Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a '99 R* 1600. I came across a post "07 carb fuel leak" which detailed gas leaking from the carb into the air box.

I too have been experiencing this issue and am wondering if there have been any updates in other threads for a fix.

My problem also seems to be heat related, as it only seems to leak (noticeably) when its hot. Its was only about 85 today though. Today I heard the gas sizzle when it hit the hot motor. Not cool. In addition, this occurred today directly after filling up. Rode about four miles, then about two minutes of idle, before shutoff.

I have had several other occasions when there was a strong smell of gas after shut down regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. I can see on the right side of the motor where gas has obviously pooled and evaporated.

Only one time did I get a puddle of gas on the ground and that was after a few hundred miles of riding. didn't give it much time sitting at fill ups so only noticed it after getting off and stretching.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
263 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but in my experience there can only be three reasons why a carb leaks petrol; the gaskets are leaking, the float height is wrong or the float needle is worn. Have you checked these things? Also have you checked that the fuel line to the carb is secure?

Whatever it is you need to cure it before you have to post about your new bike due to the old one burning to a sad end.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is a commonly known issue for Road Stars. I strongly suggest you do a Google search for the Road Star Clinic Forums. You will find several different options there for dealing with this problem. Some as simple as wrapping the fuel lines in heat shield that you can get any high-performance type store.

That's what I was going to try, but in the process my fuel pump went out. I am now pumpless and have never had the issue again. It turns out removing the fuel pump is one of the cures for carb puke lol!

Sent from my LG Motion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I know all the fuel lines are secure. I have not taken the carb apart to check the float...yet.

Wrapping a little heat tape around them could be an easy fix. I'll give that a go to see if it helps. I will also check the other forum for other solutions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I know all the fuel lines are secure. I have not taken the carb apart to check the float...yet.

Wrapping a little heat tape around them could be an easy fix. I'll give that a go to see if it helps. I will also check the other forum for other solutions.
Taking the carb apart should be your last option. Again, this is a known issue, as you'll see on the Road Star Clinic.

Sent from my LG Motion

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

All you need to get is a needle valve set and a float bowl gasket. Number one part I sell daily. Damn ethonal
Carb Puke on the Road Star is coming from the carb overflow & there are several causes. Some guys simply insulate the fuel line running between the jugs and that revolves the issue. In my case removal of the fuel pump solved the issue.

Throwing darts at this problem is generally a waste of money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
227 Posts
No doubt Yamaha knows about it. The point here is to have someone, say the NTSB, apply some pressure on Yamaha to get them to actually DO something about it. Only when the NTSB gets enough complaints will anything happen.
People have been complaining about it for years.

Sent from my LG Motion

·
Registered
421 Posts
People have been complaining about it for years.

Sent from my LG Motion
But to whom have they been complaining? Yamaha, who has every economic incentive to stonewall them? Each other, no one of whom has any power to actually force action? Internet forums, like this one, on which it is perceived that only the gripers ever post and those who are happy never do? See the problem? No one files official complaints about safety issues, such as fuel leaking onto hot engines, with the NTSB. And YOU, the one with the problem, HAVE to be the one who files. No one else can do it for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts