Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine. Are there any pipes I could add that would sound better, but not attract attention? I just sold a set of Hard Krome Double Ds because those things were WAY too loud and would get me pulled over in a heartbeat. Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine. Are there any pipes I could add that would sound better, but not attract attention? I just sold a set of Hard Krome Double Ds because those things were WAY too loud and would get me pulled over in a heartbeat. Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?

Thanks,
Dan
removing the final baffle and final pipe in my oem pipes worked well for me it doesn't get really loud until around 3/4 throttle or running on the highway at 70mph i think the cobra slip on's have removable baffles and a lot of guys like em if your set on aftermarket pipes. also i thought hard chrome offers baffles for their pipes sold separate maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I adapted a set of Fatboy mufflers to a 650 once and they sounded real good. I have a video on it on youtube. Just search my user name there and check it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my used 1300 with the Yamaha long drag pipes on the bike already... I don't know how they compare to what you've tried but people tell me mine sound a bit louder than stock but are far from obnoxious. They look nice to me too...

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine... Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?
Thanks,
Dan
Now you've got me worried, Dan! My shiny new 650 Custom is getting delivered on the weekend, and this is the first time that I've heard it's exhaust compared to that of a sewing machine; I can only hope you're kidding! I have heard others say that it has a nice throaty sound without being loud, which to me sounds just about perfect. But if it does in fact sound like a sewing machine I will definitely have to remedy that.

Glen

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Now you've got me worried, Dan! My shiny new 650 Custom is getting delivered on the weekend, and this is the first time that I've heard it's exhaust compared to that of a sewing machine; I can only hope you're kidding! I have heard others say that it has a nice throaty sound without being loud, which to me sounds just about perfect. But if it does in fact sound like a sewing machine I will definitely have to remedy that.

Glen
they only sound like sewing machines with thin oil and loose valve clearances. mine sounded like that until i put a 20/50 oil in and tightened the valves to the low end of the spec.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got Vance and Hines Cruzers on mine. they sound good. not to loud. I did drive around Montreal last year for the day with no problems when we were traveling to the east coast.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they only sound like sewing machines with thin oil and loose valve clearances. mine sounded like that until i put a 20/50 oil in and tightened the valves to the low end of the spec.
I've got 20/50 in it and I definitely would not use throaty to describe the sound even slightly lol

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've got 20/50 in it and I definitely would not use throaty to describe the sound even slightly lol
no kinda oil will affect the exhaust sound but higher weights will help quiet the valve tappets. the only way to get a throaty sound is larger pipes so exhaust gasses can expand more, if you cut the final pipe off at the 3rd baffle the exhaust will have room to expand more giving a deeper sound but don't expect to much from 650 ccs especially a 650 cc short stroke, there's just not a very big explosion happening in the combustion chamber

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no kinda oil will affect the exhaust sound but higher weights will help quiet the valve tappets. the only way to get a throaty sound is larger pipes so exhaust gasses can expand more, if you cut the final pipe off at the 3rd baffle the exhaust will have room to expand more giving a deeper sound but don't expect to much from 650 ccs especially a 650 cc short stroke, there's just not a very big explosion happening in the combustion chamber
I had a set of Hard Krome Double Ds and they sounded AMAZING on the bike, but just too loud. Modding pipes in Quebec is illegal and cops are aggressively fining people for it. So I can go louder but those DDs were too much, and that was WITH the baffles lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
but don't expect to much from 650 ccs especially a 650 cc short stroke, there's just not a very big explosion happening in the combustion chamber
I'd have to disagree......... I have a 650 I bought about 1 1/2 months ago. It has custom made short exhaust that dumps right below the engine. When I got it they didn't have baffles in it due to the pipes having a curve, they didn't want to make any for it.

With a full face helmet and a 6 mile ride, my ears were ringing. I had to do something. I made Lollipop baffles for it. Quieted it down about 50% and it sounds tough now..... Deep and throaty when idling and not too loud unless your really into the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
When I had my 07' 650 classic, it had V&H cruzers on it. Throaty, but not ear ringing loud. Very pleased with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Greetings from Montreal ;)

I just picked up my '00 V Star 1100 Custom and am looking for a similar thing - not a huge fan of the exhaust note from the stock pipes and am thinking about some Vance & Hines slip-ons to beef it up...pretty sure the cops here will have something to say about it but, well, screw it.

Beautiful day here - enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greetings from Montreal ;)

I just picked up my '00 V Star 1100 Custom and am looking for a similar thing - not a huge fan of the exhaust note from the stock pipes and am thinking about some Vance & Hines slip-ons to beef it up...pretty sure the cops here will have something to say about it but, well, screw it.

Beautiful day here - enjoy the ride!
Hello fellow Montreal rider :) Yep beautiful ride in today... We'll see about the V&H pipes, I might risk it. As long as they're not crazy loud like the DDs they should be OK.

Dan

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm still toying with the idea of exhaust-wrapping my pipes, but with the bulky heat shields all over the sock pipes they might look a bit hefty unless I switch out the whole system. Love the sound of the V&H, don't love the stock headers. What to do...

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh, You may already know this but when you do an exhaust swap it's recommended that you get your carbs re-jetted. Yep, I thought they sounded great as well. Looking forward to them fer sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did know that, yeah - it was one of the reasons I was thinking of going the slip-on route instead. But because I really want to wrap the pipes as well, the slip-on's might not be a good option. Bet you can't wait to get these installed on your bike - will you be doing the install yourself? Thanks a lot for the link to Cobra's site - I love the look of these Dragsters -

Dragsters | Full Systems | Motorcycle Exhausts | Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom (99-03) | Cobra USA

- too bad they're the only ones advertised without a sound clip! I'll see if I can find one on Youtube

·
Registered
103 Posts
May get beat up on this but I'm having the MC shop install them. Better to have someone knowledgeable do the work. I worked on one of my cars back in the day trying to save some money. Learned that lesson well that day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts