Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man, I started this thread over a year ago....I decided to not get the bolt and I bought a used 2010 Vulcan 900 custom....here I am, not happy with my Vulcan and looking at bolts again.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna try to get a bolt!!!
After 7500 km so far, my wife still loves her Bolt. I have ridden it a bit and it is a fun and easy bike to ride. Not sure I would be comfy on it all day long, but she is content. Just curious as to why you are not happy with the Vulcan? It was one of the bikes I wanted my wife to try out when we were looking to replace her Yam R3.....however the search ended when she saw the Bolt and fell in love with it!

:smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After 7500 km so far, my wife still loves her Bolt. I have ridden it a bit and it is a fun and easy bike to ride. Not sure I would be comfy on it all day long, but she is content. Just curious as to why you are not happy with the Vulcan? It was one of the bikes I wanted my wife to try out when we were looking to replace her Yam R3.....however the search ended when she saw the Bolt and fell in love with it!

:smile:
It's nothing personal against the Vulcan. It's a really great bike. Lacks a little at highway speeds, but it's truly a beautiful machine. It just doesn't fit my style. I have a bright red one. It's just too flashy. I don't like the red and all the chrome. Plus, my son rides with me sometimes so I wanted a big cruiser, but now he has kind of lost interest. I've loved the bolt since the first time I saw one. I haven't rode one yet, but I love looking at them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, I went to the dealership on saturday...sat on a 2015 red bolt. Talked it over with my lady, and I'm gonna pull the trigger! Theyre closed monday, but I'm gonna call tuesday! So stoked. Still need to sell the Vulcan, but I'm just gonna garage it until I find a buyer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I went to the dealership on saturday...sat on a 2015 red bolt. Talked it over with my lady, and I'm gonna pull the trigger! Theyre closed monday, but I'm gonna call tuesday! So stoked. Still need to sell the Vulcan, but I'm just gonna garage it until I find a buyer.
Cool! That is what my wife rides (red 2015). If you can test ride it before you make the final decision that would be ideal. Nice ride, but it has to be right for you. The only thing I do not like about it is the mirrors. They vibrate and makes it a little difficult to clearly see distant cars. Does not bother my wife....she barely notices. We are both tall (me 6'1" and she is 6') so the position is good for us. The other weird thing is the mirrors are not symmetrical. One stem is longer than the other. We thought it was just ours, but Yamaha confirmed it was done by design. Not sure why, as it does look a little odd once you notice it. 7500km on the bike so far since bought this summer and no issues. Good luck! Let us know when you bring it home!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's official. I'm a bolt owner. Picked her up this morning. Bout 40 mile ride home. It was amazing.

Question for owners on here:
1) How accurate is the fuel low gauge?

Congrats!!!! I hope you enjoy the bike as much as my wife does her Bolt.

As for the fuel light....well, I usually use my trip meter on the V-Star to gauge when to refuel as wifey always forgets to reset her trip meter. The two bikes are slightly off on the ODO, and I think it may be mine, as the speedo is also out by about 10 km/h. I use a Zumo GPS which gives an accurate speed indication, but will fix the speedo issue when I order a DRD unit. However, not too big a difference for fuel estimates.

We usually run just over 200km before the Bolt's light kicks in.....highest was 220 I think, but I may have filled a little above the fill plate. When we refill, it typically take 9-10 litres. This gives us 2-3 litres reserve as the tank is 12 litres. I think we would be safe running up to 250 km on a tank, provided we do not ride hard...and we don't. Past that, my wife starts to panic...as do I, so unless we are close to a gas station, we don't really push the fuel thing to the limit. I keep saying I am going to put a small tube in my saddle bag in case I need to transfer some fuel over form the V-Star...but keep forgetting. The V-Star will go over 300km before the light kicks in, and I still have 3 litres reserve. Not much of a concern as I usually top it up at the same time as the Bolt.

Ran on fumes last year on a trip with her R3, and we were very lucky to find a small marina that had gas. It was out in the middle of nowhere and something I would rather not repeat. I think we were out of cell range too. Lesson learned!!!

The Bolt is better on fuel than the V-Star, which is understandable. It is heavier, I am heavier, and I typically am a little harder on the throttle. Not a big difference, but still 1-2 litres difference depending on how far we have ridden.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Been looking for a stablemate to the Raider, and a smaller bobber type is on the list. Considering a 1200 Nightster or a Bolt. The HD is nice with lots of mod items available whereas the Bolt looks cleaner and has the performance edge. Also, aftermarket Bolts are selling for low as $3500 which is a plus. Probably will be a Bolt...just got to wait for the right bike to cross my path...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Picked up a Bolt yesterday...great riding bike. She needs new tires and some TLC...then I plan on putting on some apes. Right now she's on the lift and I'll start this week.
Is that the green one? Mine was green, pretty bike for sure. Just too small for the riding I like to do know.

Attachments

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's black. I have my Raider for adrenalin rushes and long hauling. The Bolt is a project - no way would it be a Raider replacement.
Nice I hear those are good bikes, I still have my old Honda VLX. Is good around town, one of these days Ill make a bobber out of it.

Reactions: Keith Post
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.