Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any of us owns one of the vstar's "predecessor" bikes?

I bought an 81 Virago 750 for business purposes, but am tempted to keep it - as I do far, far too often already (sigh). Looking for feedback, pitfalls, owner experiences, etc. I have already experienced that it's VERY cold-blooded...

Thought before I go hit a virago forum where I'm unknown newb, I'd see if anyone here can offer thoughts/experience on our 'ancestor' bike...

KC

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Hey cj, I purchased a 96' XV750 Virago a few months ago with 20k original miles as its my current bobber project. I didn't do a lot of riding on it before the tear down, however it was a bit cold natured and seemed to run lean. The only mod was drilled out exhaust. I've been reading a lot on the virago tech forum, and it's been a big help. After being on the 950t for a while, the virago felt really light, almost as if I could pick it up and move it around in my garage. So far it's been pretty easy to work on, and I'll be posting pics when I get close to finishing it. Parts have been easy to find. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a '99 Virago 1100 for about 10 years & loved it. Bought it used it already had Cobra slip on mufflers so it already sounded a bit better than stock (IMO) as well as looked pretty good!

About the only common failing I've heard about Viragos is there was a rash of bad starters through a variety of years. Besides that the bikes were bulletproof.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a Virago 750 about 9 years ago. Mine had a cylinder that went dead. I ended up selling it to a guy that felt comfortable tackling the issue. Wasn't the carbs as I had those cleaned out.

Before that, I had a lot of fun riding it. Two up was a little taxing on the 750. It would go, but didn't have the power that I wanted.

I ride 01 VMax now, so no more issues with power...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts