Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody a member of Star Riding and Touring Association? If so is it worth looking into?

Any opinions of this group?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'm a member and a lone wolf here in Gatineau. Joined last year and had some friends from the North Bay chapter come for the fall colours run last October. Organizing a ride for 3 chapters this summer here in my area. STAR is more active in the states because of the longer riding season but I must say that the Canadian chapters have just as much fun.

Trying to get a chapter going here; so if anyone from this area is interested drop me a line. :D:):D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a local chapter here the wife and I are thinking about looking into. They seem to have a few things going on.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
AS you saw on my reply, there's a lot of fun to be had. Not only the rides but helping out in the community either by doing the feed the children run, toy run, vet visits; you get the point. The chapters that are coming up this summer I only know one of the members and this is by interweb discussions. STAR is just a great bunch of folks out to have a good time with like minded people.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have a chapter in my town and I have gone on a couple rides with them. They do some great things in the community as Corsair eluded to. I guess I should just join already, but it's one of those things that I just put off and it never happens...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
There is a local chapter here the wife and I are thinking about looking into. They seem to have a few things going on.
You and your wife can make three rides with them with out being a member. I'm Sargent-of-arm in chapter 452.
Group riding has lots of advantages and you must have patience to ride with a large group. Smaller groups are much better. We have had
up to 30 bikes some times so we brake up in 7/8 bikes on the road Advantage is the fellowship and having others on a ride if you have mechanical problems or worse . Disadvantage is not being able to stop when you want, large groups at restaurant, gas stations, and heads can be a real pain. Not everybody can be easy to get along with on some rides. And some times it will be work. All an All we like it most of the time.:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You and your wife can make three rides with them with out being a member. I'm Sargent-of-arm in chapter 452.
Group riding has lots of advantages and you must have patience to ride with a large group. Smaller groups are much better. We have had
up to 30 bikes some times so we brake up in 7/8 bikes on the road Advantage is the fellowship and having others on a ride if you have mechanical problems or worse . Disadvantage is not being able to stop when you want, large groups at restaurant, gas stations, and heads can be a real pain. Not everybody can be easy to get along with on some rides. And some times it will be work. All an All we like it most of the time.:D
I hadn't even given a thought to the issues you mentioned about riding in large groups. I may have to rethink this. Patience has never been one of my strong suits:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
By all means go for a ride with them. In a couple of weeks we will be doing a poker run for a group that trains Dogs for Vet's call Canine Companions for Independence and the next week hand out food for the Suana Jones Memorial Food drop. Our former go to in the Feed The Children . You may just like it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local chapter is having a meeting next week. We are going to attend so we can get alittle more information.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
50 Posts
Me and another guy started a Chapter in Biloxi MS about 10 years ago. It was a lot of fun. We had a good group. I moved off to Orlando FL and forgot about it for years. Since I just purchased my Strat I looked into it to see if the group was still active. I live in the Mobile AL area now so it's only about an hour away. It's look like that chapter shut down and there is not one in South AL. O Well... I still have my vest with the patch!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wife and I went to the local chapter meeting this past Wednesday. great group of people of all ages in this chapter. We decided to join as soon as we got home.
I joined the chapter on a ride yesterday to support the formation of a new chapter in Upper Sandusky Ohio. Everybody there was like hanging out with life long friends.
Great day yesterday and got in 240 rainy miles in yesterday.:D Looking forward to the next ride.

Very glad i decided to go!!!

oh yeah. The clock hit 1,100 miles for this year.:D:D:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That's good :D How big of a group did you ride with? and was this your first time for a group? This will add a lot to you and your wife's riding experiences :rolleyes: Good luck.
This was my first group ride but certainly will not be my last. There were 6 going down and 8 coming back. I guess the weather kept several at home??

I can't imagine the wife and I could get much more riding experience:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts