Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So according to this site,

http://650ccnd.com/faq/compatibility.htm

, the 99-01 R1 right side caliper is a bolt on for the V-star 650. The fixed caliper 4 piston design seems like it would be marginally better than the two piston floating caliper design so I've kept a lookout for parts.

I just got a bargain on the caliper. Now the question, the above page says different rotors will fit, but doesn't actually mention if they are required for the upgrade. Has anybody done this upgrade? Will the factory rotor work or will I need to get an R1 version before I start?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My current rotor is in good shape, be a shame to replace it if I didn't have to unless I was able to upgrade. Galfer REALLY likes their rotors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this upgrade this week, WOW.

The surface area of the R1 pads is actually slightly less than the Vstar pads so I was skeptical, but that seems to be more than compensated for by the 4 piston caliper. Brake lever is very firm and braking power seems to be excellent.

FWIW I am using the exact same type of pads before vs after on the same rotor so the only change was the caliper, and the fluid of course.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on upgrading to a braided stainless hose in the short term. Long term I'd like to upgrade to the nice Galfer rotor, just have to keep an eye out for a bargain on one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts