Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike is getting annoying or Yamaha is everything I've brought it back for the dealer and Yamaha says its normal but yet I was told it should not backfire at all when left stock and the speedo is normal to be 10% +or- 1-2mph. and popping out of 2nd or going for 3rd and it not being there in normal but yet they are issues I was told I shouldn't have. anyone else have these issues? oh yah for the speedo I was told to by a aftermarket part to fix it and for the backfire I was told it's not backfiring its popping and if I want to fix it I have to install a programmer witch any of these will void warranty if found to directly effect any broken parts. which I know they will say.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I don't know about your other issues...but the speedo error is on every motorcycle sold in the USA. So yes...it's normal.

I can tell you that you do need to shift a V twin like you mean it, and that some backfiring is normal but is pretty minimal with the stock exhaust.

Just out of curiousity....is this your first motorcycle?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sick miks this is my 3rd bike I've had a 03 shadow all done up and the backfire aas only once in blue moon and shifted fine. This one does it when I shift when i'm getting on it speedo is off and bounces around if i'm at 80 on speedo i'm realy doing 70-75. I know some backfire is normal but it does it any time I let it engine brake. The dealer I had to bring it to so they could analyze the exhaust told me its running extremely lean but no problems

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would think running extremely lean is a problem??? No????

·
Registered
424 Posts
To be pedantic, it isn't "backfiring." A "backfire" comes out the intake side. It is "afterfiring" when the popping is coming out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks sick miks this is my 3rd bike I've had a 03 shadow all done up and the backfire aas only once in blue moon and shifted fine. This one does it when I shift when i'm getting on it speedo is off and bounces around if i'm at 80 on speedo i'm realy doing 70-75. I know some backfire is normal but it does it any time I let it engine brake. The dealer I had to bring it to so they could analyze the exhaust told me its running extremely lean but no problems
Is the bike completely stock? Air filter, pipes, etc? Usually backfire is more noticeable with aftermarket pipes. If it is an extremely loud obnoxious backfire like a gun shot that is constant, I'd see about changing it...if it's just a muffled backfire noise I'd not worry too much.

Keep in mind that this is a computer controlled fuel injected bike. In order to change the mixture, you need to buy a programmer to do it. So if anything has been changed have been made to anything in the fuel system, adjustments may need to be made. Your Shadow had a carb which required only about 10 minutes and a screwdriver to adjust the mixture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea completely stock no mods yet. Dont want to void my 4year warranty. Since I just got it new in November and already habe over 14k

·
Registered
960 Posts
Id take it to another dealer if you are hell bent on warranty repairs. Your current dealer clearly isnt interested.

As for buying a fuel programmer to "cure" the lean issue... WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO? Has the dealer checked for loose exhaust, by chance? I know we all mod our bikes for the most part, but a 4 year WARRANTY is just that. Id even go as far as contacting Yamaha. A stock bike should be tuned as close as it gets to being perfect as long as no changes have been made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts