Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is a beautiful ride here in the Midwest. And I'm always surprised by how often riders stop at Grafton or Pierre Marquette and never realize how much more is to the north - it's definitely worth continuing up the road!

Whenever you're back in STL let me know and I'll definitely join you for a ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Will do! You'll have to show me what's up further north.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow, that's an incredible shot. Looks like a promo shot!

I love that blue too. Makes by boring gray and sand look....boring.

Are those lo-boy Shotguns on your bike? How to they sound? Worth doing?

-Nick
Thanks. I like the Cobalt/Silver of the '07 myself. And no, the pipes are Samson Interceptors. Low thumping sound as opposed to a higher crack when you open the throttle. Very nice sound to me. They're on sale right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Interceptor-Under-Exhaust-211-801/dp/B000GVAQQG

The pic IS a kind of promo shot. When you ride the Tail of the Dragon on Hwy 129 (Tn and NC) there are spots where groups will take pictures and post low res versions. If you like it you can buy a high res, or even a print.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,112 Posts
I love that blue too. Makes by boring gray and sand look....boring.

Are those lo-boy Shotguns on your bike? How to they sound? Worth doing?

-Nick

what am i missing here? i see no indication that you can see any part of the exhaust to guess what it is. and i don't see a speck of blue in that pic

·
Registered
882 Posts
That's beautiful. Where is it?
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205881804364277091467.0004dab7a3029c664e907&msa=0&ll=39.000843,-79.12684&spn=0.016742,0.042014

The pic was taken at the top left location marker.

While not the ugliest spot on the loop, it is not even close to the most gorgeous.

It is a slow speed, twist/turn/up/down/switchback place of heaven with very little 4 wheeled company. Just gorgeous. The bottom of it, where it dumps onto 220 then becomes a good paced, 50-60 mph, joy ride of long sweepers, an amazing finish back to Petersburg where I can find nothing suitable for a beer and burger. Then, if you haven't had enough, you take 42 north out of Petersburg and prepare yourself for some more treats. Or go back and do Smoke hole the opposite direction.

If this isn't world class, I don't care. :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205881804364277091467.0004dab7a3029c664e907&msa=0&ll=39.000843,-79.12684&spn=0.016742,0.042014

The pic was taken at the top left location marker.

While not the ugliest spot on the loop, it is not even close to the most gorgeous.

It is a slow speed, twist/turn/up/down/switchback place of heaven with very little 4 wheeled company. Just gorgeous. The bottom of it, where it dumps onto 220 then becomes a good paced, 50-60 mph, joy ride of long sweepers, an amazing finish back to Petersburg where I can find nothing suitable for a beer and burger. Then, if you haven't had enough, you take 42 north out of Petersburg and prepare yourself for some more treats. Or go back and do Smoke hole the opposite direction.

If this isn't world class, I don't care. :lol:
Beautiful. And I'll be going past it soon, but may not get to see it. I'm riding from Maryville, Tn to Syracuse, NY just to take a picture of my Roadie in front of the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que there. Then back down following the Skyline Drive-Blue Ridge Parkway to home.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Beautiful. And I'll be going past it soon, but may not get to see it. I'm riding from Maryville, Tn to Syracuse, NY just to take a picture of my Roadie in front of the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que there. Then back down following the Skyline Drive-Blue Ridge Parkway to home.
Dude, how much time you got?

If you're coming up 81, you could get off at Harrisonburg, VA, go across the mountains on fantastic Rt. 33, hit smoke hole, go through Petersburg and be back on 81 at Strasburg, VA for the price of 135 miles of awesome. It's 48 miles Harrisonburg to Strasburg anyway so, it's only really adding about 90 miles.

If you leave leaning and scenery, that's a ride, right there and I'll bet you remember it longer than you do some Dinosaur pork shoulder. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dude, how much time you got?

If you're coming up 81, you could get off at Harrisonburg, VA, go across the mountains on fantastic Rt. 33, hit smoke hole, go through Petersburg and be back on 81 at Strasburg, VA for the price of 135 miles of awesome. It's 48 miles Harrisonburg to Strasburg anyway so, it's only really adding about 90 miles.

If you leave leaning and scenery, that's a ride, right there and I'll bet you remember it longer than you do some Dinosaur pork shoulder. :D
LMAO... good point. I'll add it in. My problem is that I keep adding places as the trip grows... I'll put it there for the return leg. Up there is a one day attempt. 815 miles. Then the rest of the week off is for sightseeing and visiting friends.

Thanks for the new road though. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is a get in some serious riding detour.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
194 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1366576165.623875.jpg
One of the advantages of being a passenger...I can snap pictures/ video while riding...while trying to pay attention to everything else too, lol. Pictures don't always turn out well though... happened to look up on the way out to Nashville, IN today and saw a rainbow around the sun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
@miescha... Like we've discussed I too am in the area. Thing is, since I've gotten my vstar I've NOT been to the city areas. I've been riding in the middle of MO and that's it. I'd love to take the route you just described. I would like to see those spots. If you're not available to show me the ropes... Perhaps a list of roads and destinations u recommend?

21 - 40 of 143 Posts