Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Ben Franklin is sitting here looking at me, and he is willing to bet the guy that wrecked the bagger was not the owner of the bike.

I dont want to launch a 10 page discussion on the physics of riding through a curve, but my instinct is that it should not matter how heavy a bike is going into a corner, because the forces on the bike cancel out and the center of balance is always straight up from the tire patch though the center of the bike.

I would think the angle of lean for any given bike would be a function of the rake and trail of the steering, and how high the center of mass is on the bike.

Im sure there is a website somewhere that explains all this - but you are right - many riders only get their permit and never take the road test and get their license.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... my instinct is that it should not matter how heavy a bike is going into a corner, because the forces on the bike cancel out and the center of balance is always straight up from the tire patch though the center of the bike...
A group I used to ride with in the late 80s was an eclectic mix of people and motorcycles. We were hooligans and used to bomb and scrape pegs through Myles Standish State Forest. One of the top riders who rode a mid 80s Yamaha Venture Royale would embarrass most of the guys on the latest sportbikes of the time. There's nothing like watching someone dragging knees and riding a wheelie on a full on dresser.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.