Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day all.

At the moment I'm wearing a full face with a clear and tinted visor. I'm having problems with fogging on both, more so with the tinted visor for some reason. I have heard that rubbing a cut potato on the interior of the visor and wiping off, or the same with dishwashing liquid can reduce the fog effect. My helmet does have vents above and below the face opening that I am keeping open.

Can anyone else suggest anything else they have found to work?

From a desperate member who feels like he's riding at 10,000 feet through a cloud bank:confused:

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I have heard that rubbing a cut potato on the interior of the visor and wiping off, or the same with dishwashing liquid can reduce the fog effect.
I can see where the potato technique might give you a few more eyes...(you're carrying the MASH thing too far) :D:D:D

But seriously...

A thin coating of dish soap has been proven sort of effective, but the hard truth of the matter is that in order to see clearly, you're going to need something like a Fog City anti-fog insert (very finicky install, but if you get it right I had one last three years) or the Pin-Lock system.

Pin Lock adapters are standard on high end helmets like Shoei, HJC etc. but you can adapt most visors that don't have radical compound curves by doing it yourself. Pin Lock shows you how to do it.

Both Fog City and Pin Lock eliminate fogging by trapping a dead air space across your visor; a sandwich between the insert and your face shield.

Both the Fog City and Pin Lock inserts run about $30-$40 USD. In order to use the Pin Lock insert on your current helmet, you'll have to use the overlay provided by Pin Lock, drill two holes for the locating/anchor pins, and then insert the pins. The faceshield insert then locates to the installed pins.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/11231/ITEM/Fog-City-Hyper-Optiks-Visor-Inserts.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/18836/ITEM/HJC-Pinlock-Anti-Fog-Lens.aspx

There are any number of opinions and witch doctor approaches to anti-fog, but these are the two that have let me operate safely in cold, rain and fog. (Of course most of the time I keep my eyes closed because the sight of the road and traffic is so scary;))

·
Registered
621 Posts
This is a really common problem for hockey players who wear face shields on their helmets, so they make stuff like this to keep fog from building up on your shield. Not sure what it would cost you to get something like this shipped to the land where women glow and men plunder, but it's something worth looking at.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Stop riding in the fog :D

When i wore my full face i would just open the visor one click. That worked great since i actually liked the extra airflow.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a really common problem for hockey players who wear face shields on their helmets, so they make stuff like this to keep fog from building up on your shield. Not sure what it would cost you to get something like this shipped to the land where women glow and men plunder, but it's something worth looking at.
Thanks mate that not too bad a price either, we have a local Rink/Hockey Team in the town I work in that has a Pro Shop and I might drop in there. Ice Hockey is still pretty small here but more and more rinks are popping up around the place.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stop riding in the fog :D

When i wore my full face i would just open the visor one click. That worked great since i actually liked the extra airflow.
Thanks Sparky, I also have an open face and get frustrated with this visor, the full face was a promise to the wife so that my Brad Pitt looks are always protected.

This Officer reckons he never gets any fogging problems, I'm trying to find out where he bought his helmet from, or if it is strictly Police Issue.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Aussies like to fight in thier spare time just for fun and now we've gone and tought them to play hockey? :confused: Somebody didn't think this one through :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts