Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Canadian buddy left his 2000 Road Star Millennia Edition bike with me and asked me to sell it. I have the clear Canadian title to it. Lots of extra chrome and Sliverado accessories. You'll have to come here to look at it. I no longer have a motorcycle license and won't risk it. It has some scrapes and dings since his wife ran it off into a ditch, but it still runs and rides just fine. Needs a windshield and mirrors, for sure. Here's a link to the craigslist ad I posted. Of course, I've already had the usual scammer responses about them sending me a check to hold it, etc. etc. I'm old, not stupid.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/river-ranch-2000-yamaha-road-star/6879868781.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the bike out and rode it around the neighborhood a few days ago. The steering seems awfully heavy on this bike to me. Keep in mind I haven't been on a bike in 30 years and used to ride Hondas. My last 2 bikes were a V-45 Magna and a Nighthawk 650 and they steered much easier and lighter than this Road Star. What's normal handling for these bikes? I don't want to sell it to someone if there's a problem with the forks or head bearings. Maybe the wheel got a little bent in the ditching? There's no wobble, just a strong pull to the right. I'm going to check the tire pressures later today and see if it's that simple. The front brake doesn't appear to be dragging because the bike rolls easily and I don't hear the caliper rubbing the disc. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you were riding the Road Star around the neighborhood, not getting much over 30 mph, and taking a lot of corners, it will feel heavy if you are not use to it.

Motorcycles are self stabilizing. Above a certain speed (about 30mph) if you turn the bike and release the pressure on the grips it will straighten out. The faster you go above 30 the stronger that 'straighten up' force is.

Below 30mph you get in the zone where the bike will turn, but if you release the pressure it will keep turning ( it wont fall over it will just keep going in a circle) unless you give it some throttle to stand it up.

Below 15 mph starts to feel like a bicycle, you sit up straight to take corners, and a big bike will feel heavy.

About the pull to the right, all roads are slightly banked to the right so the rain will run off, so bikes and cars will have a slight pull to the right going straight, esp going slow. If its still there going 50mph, and you are sure you are centering your weight on the seat, then you might need to look and see if the rear tire is not lined up in the swing arm, or if the front forks are bent.

Or take it to a Yamaha dealer and ask a mechanic to ride it, they can tell you if its not right.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can come down and check it if you want. You can probably check it without driving by just turning the handlebars and see if they hang up anywhere while turning. The most likely place for them to get stuck is when pointed straight.
Just make sure you do this on a nice flat smooth surface so the tire fighting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the explanation, KCW. That makes a lot of sense. I never got above 4th gear or 55 mph. At 55, it felt pretty good. And Patrick, I appreciate the offer but I'm okay with your suggestion. I checked it like you suggested on the concrete floor of the garage and there's absolutely no binding of any type. John had is checked by Iron City Cycles here in Lake Wales before he left and they deemed it good to ride. The owner offered him $3,000 trade for it on a beautiful used Harley that he has and John ALMOST took him up on it. I reminded him that his wife would probably want to ride the Harley and he decided against it. I think he made a wise choice, but got the impression that I won't be welcome in Iron City Cycles again unless I'm looking to buy! LOL Anyway, I'm going to set it out this coming Memorial Day Weekend at a reduced price of $3,000 and see if anyone bites. If not, I'll take my ad off craigslist, ride it around here once a month and just help John put a couple of new parts on it in November and he can ride it till the wheels fall off. I'm not going to spend my entire summer trying to sell it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts