Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I love this bike but I finally got sick and tired of the low clearance on this bike so I am having a machine shop manufacture a 3" forward link with an offset which will raise the floorboard brackets 1/2" higher than stock. The CAD drawing is complete and the shop is just asking for how many to make. If you guys are serious about wanting one I'll send him an RFQ with a quantity and share the quote with you all. I'm going through with it regardless if no one is interested. And yes I will be making a correct shift linkage with a correct offset as well. If you want the adapter to be 0" forward and just offset up let me know.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,750 Posts
Do you happen to have a measured delta with your lean angle now?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you happen to have a measured delta with your lean angle now?
That delta has many variables while riding. Things like:
  • Tire pressure
  • Rear shock setting
  • Speed
  • Incline of the road
  • etc.
Are you talking about in the static condition?

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,750 Posts
The static angle, yes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using trig I can calculate that since I took an initial measurement. I'd like to wait on providing you the delta because I may have one more slight modification to the brackets. Not sure if it will affect the delta.

The static angle, yes
Sorry I posted below.

That's the one but the picture is wrong. That pic is for the Roadstar. As you can see there is no y-axis offset only X-axis. Mine has both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just wanted to update everyone on the latest. I decided to design and obtain a quote for a complete 3" forward kit for this bike. My link will be offset 1/2" higher (Y-axis) and will not use aluminum spacers thereby giving even more lean angle clearance than the current kits out there. New bolts will be provided in the kits that are shorter and the 3" link threaded hole positions will be moved forward an additional 5/16" for frame bolt clearance which should have been done with the current kits. In another thread I addressed this. Doing this will slam the floorboards 3/8" closer to the frame giving additional lean angle clearance. As soon as the quotes come in I will let everyone know. The more people buying the lower the kit price. I'm doing it regardless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quotes are coming in. Anyone interested? If we get enough interest and not a heck of a lot, the kit price is far less than what's available online. I asked for 1, 10, 20 kit prices. If no bites by end of week I will order a single for me...don't say I didn't offer ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the prototype came in and it's awesome. I love it, love it. Here is a video link showing the prototype on my bike. No more scraping floorboards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Wikdnice. I have a 2015 950 Tourer with crash bars. With your experience designing the ones you got, think ones can be made to fit over the crash guard mount. I hate the scraping sound of the foot pegs when you lean, even though I am not an aggressive rider at all, but it does not take much to make it happen. Please let me know your thought. Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well the prototype came in and it's awesome. I love it, love it. Here is a video link showing the prototype on my bike. No more scraping floorboards.

Nice. i'm a tall guy, 36" inseam, i just ordered the 6" Extension kit from Scoot Mods. I installed their kit on my first bike an liked it a lot, that was my Honda Shadow Aero way back when. The VTX there wasnt a ext kit avail anywhere to use with floorboards. The kit for the areo much much more involved and expensive had to more to it due to the bikes design.
Have to loose the Highway bars as it goes forward into that area, the price of being a stretch monster..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Wikdnice. I have a 2015 950 Tourer with crash bars. With your experience designing the ones you got, think ones can be made to fit over the crash guard mount. I hate the scraping sound of the foot pegs when you lean, even though I am not an aggressive rider at all, but it does not take much to make it happen. Please let me know your thought. Thank you.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'm having a difficult time truly understanding your need. Maybe you can supply a photo to help explain further so I can help you.

Nice. i'm a tall guy, 36" inseam, i just ordered the 6" Extension kit from Scoot Mods. I installed their kit on my first bike an liked it a lot, that was my Honda Shadow Aero way back when. The VTX there wasnt a ext kit avail anywhere to use with floorboards. The kit for the areo much much more involved and expensive had to more to it due to the bikes design.
Have to loose the Highway bars as it goes forward into that area, the price of being a stretch monster..

I have a 36" inseam as well but I don't need a 6" extension kit LOL. My 3" design (actually 3 5/16") is plenty for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 36" inseam as well but I don't need a 6" extension kit LOL. My 3" design (actually 3 5/16") is plenty for me.
I'm a little surprised that with a 36" inseam you would want it to raise up as well. I want my knees lower not higher.
I put 6" on my honda shadow and liked it a lot. They are still in transit to me, i'll know more after install etc. The mfg also "slotted" one of the mount holes so the floorbards can be tilted back as you move it forward.
It was a $50 investment, not like i am taking a huge risk here...lol.

·
Registered
2007 XVS1300 Blue and basic
37 Posts
I'm a little surprised that with a 36" inseam you would want it to raise up as well. I want my knees lower not higher.
I put 6" on my honda shadow and liked it a lot. They are still in transit to me, i'll know more after install etc. The mfg also "slotted" one of the mount holes so the floorbards can be tilted back as you move it forward.
It was a $50 investment, not like i am taking a huge risk here...lol.
I would like some feedback on the 6" extensions. my knees are above the tank also. After you riding a few weeks is 6" the right length for a guy 6'3"? And do you feel the boards have enough slant? Thanks in advance for your experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like some feedback on the 6" extensions. my knees are above the tank also. After you riding a few weeks is 6" the right length for a guy 6'3"? And do you feel the boards have enough slant? Thanks in advance for your experience and knowledge.
When i install them i will be certain to report back, i am very tall 6'5" 235lbs.

I'll have to loose the crashbars (cobra) which at first was no issue, but i have gotten to not mind it, actually like it.
I needed to order some parts from Partzilla to "reverse" the crash bar installation...go back to oem floor board bracket bolts and the rear brake master mounting bolts (these were all mods that came with the cobra crashbars).

I ordered the parts 2-10-21 and they just shipped and are in transit UPS, all except those rear master bolts (2) the OEMs are shorter (scheduled to ship 2-24), again due to the cobra bars install.
So in the meantime i have gotten used to riding the bike with crashbars and don't mind it. I will probably install the Ext Kit since i already have it, and decide which i like better. But in my mind there is no rush now..

·
Registered
2007 XVS1300 Blue and basic
37 Posts
When i install them i will be certain to report back, i am very tall 6'5" 235lbs.

I'll have to loose the crashbars (cobra) which at first was no issue, but i have gotten to not mind it, actually like it.
I needed to order some parts from Partzilla to "reverse" the crash bar installation...go back to oem floor board bracket bolts and the rear brake master mounting bolts (these were all mods that came with the cobra crashbars.

I ordered the parts 2-10-21 and they just shipped and are in transit UPS, all except those rear master bolts (2) the OEMs are shorter (scheduled to ship 2-24), again due to the cobra bars install.
So in the meantime i have gotten used to riding the bike with them and don't mind it. I will probably install the Ext Kit since i already have it, and decide which i like better. But in my mind there is no rush now..
Thanks for reply I am 67 and have a hard time folding my legs up to get on the boards. thought this might help with legs forward. I was a bouncer at 295. then after retirement jumped up to 396. Keto has me back to 337 and heading back to 280 I hope.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for reply I am 67 and have a hard time folding my legs up to get on the boards. thought this might help with legs forward. I was a bouncer at 295. then after retirement jumped up to 396. Keto has me back to 337 and heading back to 280 I hope.
Holy Cow, you are a big guy, i haven't had to look up at anyone in many years.... You sound like my cousin Carl, he played the bad guy in Steve Mcqueen's last movie (The bounty Hunter), Carl was also a bouncer down on Rush in Chicago (1980 ish) when they spotted him for the part in the movie. Carl thought he was a star after that for a couple years, but never got another part. He was 6'9" and 350lbs and did not look fat! I called him the Sasquatch... (sorry for any spelling errors).

Last time i talked to Carl he was a salesman at a Big and Tall mens clothing line company, it's been many years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts