Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nope, not a chance in hell I'd ever try it with a cruiser. Scary enough on 4 wheels at times. Dirt bike? Been there. Still scary but you don't cry as much when you dump it (and guaranteed that it WILL happen).

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
a 200 pound dirt bike with plastic fenders and studded ice tires might be fun for a while.. but not in traffic.

The primary thing that keeps us safe, how does it go? "A clean escape route is better than all the prayers of righteous men..."

If you just barely have control of your bike, when cars start spinning out all around you, you are a screwed.

Have you ever seen a fire truck going down the street at 40mph, sideways!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I rode the supersport in the snow often. I did not ride when there was slush on the ground though.
It was my only mode of transportation. Just don't lean, pay attention to how long it takes to slow down, pray there is no cars nearby.

Slush for the week after it snowed is the worst, and the slush refreezing into black ice is not fun at all, only drove then when I had to for work.
I think the snow just comes off the tires nicely and I kept traction ok, but the slush just sticks and you can't clean it out, unless your running knobby.

·
Registered
909 Posts
There's really no danger of riding in the snow if you use the correct tires and don't think that your 800 lbs bike sporting standard street tires will do. In the 80s I had a dedicated snow motorcycle for riding during the New England winters. It was an old Honda CB360 with knobbies. The real danger is the transition period when snow becomes hardpack or melts during the day and freezes at night. Studded tires worked on that but it wasn't really practical because once I hit cleared asphalt spots the chances of throwing studs increased and I'd have to refit studs after each day of riding.

·
Registered
609 Posts
There's really no danger of riding in the snow if you use the correct tires and don't think that your 800 lbs bike sporting standard street tires will do. In the 80s I had a dedicated snow motorcycle for riding during the New England winters. It was an old Honda CB360 with knobbies. The real danger is the transition period when snow becomes hardpack or melts during the day and freezes at night. Studded tires worked on that but it wasn't really practical because once I hit cleared asphalt spots the chances of throwing studs increased and I'd have to refit studs after each day of riding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jz52idcAU
Agreed. One -can- ride in the snow with minimized risk.

But I don't have the right tires, or bike, or the desire. Nor does it snow often enough where I live to make me want to invest in them. Not to mention, if it's cold enough to snow, it's cold enough I don't want to ride anyway.

So I'm sticking with "hell no".

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
I think I found the right motorcycle for the snow. Anyone up for a test drive? It would be interesting.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
hey look at that!

The one riding environment where flat black everything = hi visibility!

All you need is a BlackLight LED headlight bulb.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am not sure a blacklight headlight is legal anywhere.

Reminds me when it snowed 4' and a week later they finally plowed the roads, via plowing the snow ontop of all the cars.
Since it was completely safe, with 8-9 foot snow banks on each side of the road, and the road was 1-2 inches of solid ice. We took out the gocart with slicks on it, and drove it as fast as we could, everywhere on the roads. Worst that would happen is we would crash into a nice soft pile of snow. We did that often, as we never installed breaks on that machine.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I use to do that every winter in Buffalo, but with my air cooled VW beetle

I could drift the bug 90 degrees around corners and into my driveway with the handbrake

do a 180 in one lane

and if I got going fast enough I could do a 360 psycho-bat turn

BTW, you need the black light headlight on the black motorcycle in the snow, because if you turn on a normal headlight, you will just cloak yourself and become invisible.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So I actually rode in the snow today, and not even knobby tires / dirt bike: It was on an old Sportster 1200 I just got started & running.

Yeah... for about 5 minutes. And slow. And mostly on dry pavement, other than the snow in the parking lot.

But hey, I did it.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Great video. Sounds like bike was running pretty good. It looked like you face shield was open, would have been too cold for me. By the way, might what to practice stopping at the stop signs. 😁

·
Registered
609 Posts
Great video. Sounds like bike was running pretty good. It looked like you face shield was open, would have been too cold for me. By the way, might what to practice stopping at the stop signs. 😁
The bike really does run nice. We didn't do a rebuild given the moderate mileage and super-good compression. But I did do a full tune-up, carb clean, new plugs, adjustments, flush and fluid-change, etc. If I didn't already have both a restored/vintage and a modern Sportie, I'd be tempted to adopt this one.

It was 16 degrees and my face got pretty numb, even for just 'around the block'. But if I closed the shield it literally fogged up before I could get my hand down on the clutch to proceed ahead. I'll break out the 'fog-x' next time!

And yes about the 'stoptional' thing... Though if I'd had working front brakes (the next step in the project) it would have made that easier!

·
Registered
909 Posts
road_slug, the bike sounds really good! What camera are you using and what's your audio setup? I probably need to upgrade from my 7 year old Contour Roams since they don't have a mic input (for a helmet mic) and the wind noise is usually dreadful at anything above 35mph.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
road_slug, the bike sounds really good! What camera are you using and what's your audio setup? I probably need to upgrade from my 7 year old Contour Roams since they don't have a mic input (for a helmet mic) and the wind noise is usually dreadful at anything above 35mph.
Thanks. It has cobra drag pipes, jetted and some other mild mods.
I intend to do a lot more motovlogging and other vlogging of adventures so go ahead hit like and subscribe!
There are all kinds of sport bike motovlogging but not so much for cruisers. I want to mix it up a little.
I use a Gopro hero 3 with adjustable helmet mount and a condensing microphone going under and inside my helmet.

·
Registered
909 Posts
...I use a Gopro hero 3 with adjustable helmet mount and a condensing microphone going under and inside my helmet.
Tanks mang! BTW, nice choice in the dissonant dirt metal intro. I was expecting a 'cop chase on a Kawasaki H2', 'hooligan supermoto wheelie on the highway' or 'mag dump on pumpkins with my AR' type of vid.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts