Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the ones with chromed arms holding the flat black mirrors. I think they will look sweet on my black 1300 but....afraid they might be a little cheeseball. I'm pretty conservative, not one to slap skulls, etc all over my bike. Hoping someone has seen these in person and can give me an honest opinion.

Keep in mind I'm probably going to buy them regardless. :-D

·
Super Moderator
6,377 Posts
Chazz, I saw a pair on a black Harley early last summer at bike night. The Harley had a black fairing, and the mirrors really stood out. Personally I liked the look. They appeared to be a little taller than factory mirrors, but not by much. Since I've recently ordered a black Memphis shades fairing for my black 950t, I'm thinking about getting a pair. Once you mount them, snap a few pics if you don't mind so we can see how they look on your back 1300.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
How much are their Mirrors ? Over $100 per pair ?

When I first got my 650 I knew the mirrors were a little beat up.
The left more than the right. So I started to look for a nice pair of
after market custom mirrors. I found a pair I liked, Slim chrome tear drop shaped. They were $65. Got them home Tried to install them
and spent at least 2 hours trying to get them adjusted.
The mirror heads were very stiff. Little movement, And the Adjusting
nut to lock the assembly down would not hold the mirror.
You could get them set and tightened down but when you try to adjust the mirror it would break loose at the 10mm adapter.
I ended up snapping one of the mirrors glass trying to get them adjusted and gave up. I found a pair of OEM Vstar 650 mirrors in good shape to replace mine. 10 minutes out of the box and all was great with the world. They work perfect and do not move out of position. They were $30 for the pair.

I guess bottom line is : they may look great and cool but how do they function.... Plenty out there but pick and choose wisely

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they function as well as the stock mirrors. Maybe better since they extend a little farther out. They're pricey for what they are but so's all the other crap we buy for our bikes. Now the scythe style I was considering....prob more fashion than function.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I have to admit that on some bikes the mirrors are for looks because they shake so much you can't see anything but a blurry object in them.

The vstar is well enough engineered to address the fact that the mirrors actually work very well with minimal vibration distortion.
My rear view is clear and not distorted until the revs climb rather high.

For around town they are great. It's hard to beat them with aftermarket ones. A real fat wallet Made thin for a pair that look good and function less than the stockers is to me meaningless. But then again Thats MHO.

jake :) :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The stockers are fine, just looking for something different. It's that time of year, can't ride much so sit around and think about the next mod or farkle! If I worried about a fat wallet, would never own a bike. Or chase women back in the day. Or drink craft beer. Oh man, just kill me now. Haha

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've had at least a half dozen different aftermarket mirrors from cheap to over $100 on my bike and never had an issue with any of them. I just made sure the mirror was glass and not plastic...the same with the housing.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Chazz , I get ya Haha. Most country songs that talk about ripping the rear view mirror off are from trucks not bikes. None of them thought about that I guess.

If your ex is chasing you you don't want to see her anyway.
Right ? :eek:

People with fat wallets don't worry about anything.

In the case of motorcycle mirrors you do get what you pay for.
The cheaper they are the less you will like them.

Kind of like girl friends. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,377 Posts
Good one Resto! You do get what you pay for. Chazz brings up an excellent point. If you worried about a fat wallet, one would never own a bike. I admit while it's too cold, or if the weather is bad , one could easily sit around after the holidays looking at your next mod available on the web.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
My mods are all funded from the Teflon window guide sales. My best year was 2011 (prior to purchasing this bike) I made over $15K tax free. Just in internet Ebay sales and on the miata.net forum.

To date I've sold more than 6000 kits in 49 states and 17 countries worldwide. I make and market them all in my garage.

SO I stay busy year round. :eek:

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
Hoping someone has seen these in person and can give me an honest opinion.

i've seen these in person on a few bikes. my opinion is....meh.
they would be cool if it were a one-off, but since these are mass produced, it seems like a blatant way for average rider to try too hard to look badass.

·
Administrator
13,271 Posts
the key word is "blatant". like those who wear dorags with skeletons on it. or the weekend warrior baby boomer decked out in full leathers who don't know anything about riding. or buying a pair of pre-ripped up jeans from the department store. trying to buy street cred while throwing originality out the window.

i feel the same when i see most of those boring 2D flame paint jobs that have been so completely done to death. no originality.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Acessories and chromed farkles don't make a bad ass. Everyone knows it's loud mugga fuggin pipes and one of those WWI German army half helmets!!!

The mirrors will be here in a few days but can't install them until next weekend as da wife asked if she could make them a birthday present. Surprisingly, she didn't roll her eyes as usual when showed her a pic. The extra days give me time to get that matching doo rag. :-D

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Don't forget the rattle can flame paint job too. To really round things out... ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hoping someone has seen these in person and can give me an honest opinion.

Keep in mind I'm probably going to buy them regardless. :-D
Maybe it's just me....but.....I love it when people ask for an opinion...and when they don't get exactly what they want, they ridicule the person who gave it.

Why ask for "honest" opinions when you don't want them? :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe it's just me....but.....I love it when people ask for an opinion...and when they don't get exactly what they want, they ridicule the person who gave it.

Why ask for "honest" opinions when you don't want them? :)
I dont think I ridiculed anyone. Just friendly banter to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chazzmichaels if you like the skeleton mirrors and you think they'll look good on your bike who cares what other riders have to say. Any opinions that you get from others are sometimes negative anyways. Just do it man. Not trying to quote Nike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts