Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try out the newly designed Michelin Commander III (3)??? I have liked the Commander II's that I had on previously on both my Stratoliners, but I need a rear tire now and I am thinking about trying out the Commander III. Anyone have experience with them? How do they match up to the old Commander II or the Avon Cobra?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
I'm following this thread closely. I'm a huge Commander 2 fan and had 4 sets on two different bike. Going to need new tire shortly and have wondered the same thing about the 3s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm following this thread closely. I'm a huge Commander 2 fan and had 4 sets on two different bike. Going to need new tire shortly and have wondered the same thing about the 3s.
I may just have to be a Guinea Pig. Cause I am liking what I see. I will wait to see if others have any experience, but I am leaning towards trying them out. I will stay in touch about it if I do.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, I put a Michelin Commander 3 on the front of my Stratoliner on April 10 and, one on the rear of my Star 650 Classic on June 6. As of right now, I intend to be on Commander 3 front and rear on both bikes. I don't have near enough miles on them to discuss wear life and, neither has been on a wet road yet. The 650 is my daily driver though so, I'm bound to get caught in the rain eventually!
So far, the experience has been notable for its lack of noterity. Which is to say, I have nothing either good or bad to say. Yet. I'll try to remember to circle back with updates though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I put a Michelin Commander 3 on the front of my Stratoliner on April 10 and, one on the rear of my Star 650 Classic on June 6. As of right now, I intend to be on Commander 3 front and rear on both bikes. I don't have near enough miles on them to discuss wear life and, neither has been on a wet road yet. The 650 is my daily driver though so, I'm bound to get caught in the rain eventually!
So far, the experience has been notable for its lack of noterity. Which is to say, I have nothing either good or bad to say. Yet. I'll try to remember to circle back with updates though.

Well that's not too bad then. :) At least nothing bad to say yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Purchased the Michelin Commander III rear tire in 200/55R17 as a size upgrade for my 2012 Strat Deluxe. So I will update as soon as I can get it on and get some miles on it.

Reactions: Boog and lesblank

·
Registered
341 Posts
So it was raining when I left work today. Constant, between a good healthy rain and really heavy rain, but never up to 'gullywasher' coming down in sheets. Even the cars were driving below posted speed limits and throwing up rooster tails. The Commander III did excellent! Sure footed on strait aways and in corners. Even crosswalk paint and tar snakes - not a problem.
Still only a couple hundred miles on them. This bike is mostly for commuting so, it averages around 110 miles per week. Long term review will take a while! (This is the 650 with the Commander on the rear, a 2 y/o Dunlop 404 on the front.)

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
I'm happy to see this topic. I was wondering the same thing about the "3" version. I have read many ( old ) posts about the 2 version and planned to buy them. When I went looking for prices I came across the 3 version but had not seen a post about them.
Can't wait for a full review! It will be about a month before I buy, and new tires are a MUST. I learned from HERE about the DOT date code. . . Mine are from 2011!!!!

Without the knowledge from this board I would have kept them and drove on them. They look great. Not worth risking my life for!

See, I told you all I have been "deep reading" this board! :)

·
Registered
'06 Stratoliner S
51 Posts
I put C-3s on my wife's '09 VTX 1300C and loved them.
I rode that scooter every chance I got. She would "let me ride it" whenever it needed gas in the tank.
We have some excellent country roads here in N/E Georgia with plenty of twists & turns that make for some real fun riding. Never rode it in the rain, but I pushed it real hard thru the curves and never felt the tires wiggle. Always solid & sure-footed.
I sold the X to a close friend last year after finding an unmolested, 1-owner, very low-mileage '02 RoadStar Warrior for my wife to ride. (She lets me ride it occasionally). That Warrior ain't nothin' but the truth !! As soon as it needs new tires, I'll be putting C-3s on it too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have tried the dunlop, cobra and bridgestone tires. Both the cobra and dunlop had far less grip than the bridgestones. I did not like the cobra tires at all. it had very little traction and i almost laid the bike down in a corner when they started to slide out from under me. I literally took them off with 3/4 tread left and threw them in the junk tire pile because they scared the crap out of me. I thought they would be a great performance tire close to the bridgestones but that was not the case. the rear tire would break loose easily with firm launches. i'm not as concerned about tire life as much as tire grip. the bridgestones work great in all weather conditions and they are great performing tires. You need to use some caution when people tell you tires work great. An easy going driver will never tax the tire enough to tell the difference in traction or cornering grip. for them it comes down to how well they work in differing weather conditions. as long as the tire doesn't hydroplane its a great tire to them. if you ride agressively you will notice the traction differences right away. the bridgestones have great grip, both straight line launches and in the corners. I have done wheelies with the bridgestones, yeah wheelies on a Stratoliner deluxe. I couldn't come close to doing that with the dunlop or cobra tires. they just spin, spin, spin. If you try these mich tire out make sure to do a grip test. then let us know what you think. it would be nice to have another choice in tires but im not going to go backwards in performance. I like my skin on my body, not laid out in a stripe on the pavement because my tire failed me and slide out.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,067 Posts
It will be a year or more before I need to change tires again, I just had the Bridgestone Exedra Max put on front and back. I am curious as to how the C-3s will do. I have about 74K miles on the Exedra maxes on my Rocket II and love them on wet roads and dry, when ever that happens...

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
Well, when the USA house and Senate finally get a 2nd stimulas check sent out I will be posting a review of the"3" model.

Approximately $500 for tires and labor ( forcing the nearest dealership to lube the driveshaft ), $100+ for a helmet, $100 "late title" fee, $150 for plates and registration, and approximately $150 for insurance.
That is $1,000+ to be safe and legal

So between BOTH stimulas checks I end up with a darn good low mileage bike.

COOL!

And yes, I am VERY aware of how much the "Corona checks" and all the other Corona related spending is going to seriously affect the USA for YEARS. But if I were to refuse the $ it won't make any difference in the end for the USA.

So I am against the checks, but I darn will cash it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this here as a Michelin Commander III post or, start a new "Whew! That was a close call" thread but here goes. (Spoiler Alert - everything's OK.)

I was raining here today, starting about 10:00 this morning up through at least 3:30 - the last time I went outside before leaving for the day. Not hard - in fact very much on the light side but, rain; not just drizzle. Anyway, I brought in my rain gear because I leave at 4:00 and I figured it would still be raining.

It wasn't. But the roads were still quite wet, with no standing water. About 2 miles from where I work is a curve with a negative crown. (The road curves to my left and, slopes down to my right.) That was one of the places that my old rear tire would want to just break loose on a wet road. Today, I didn't even try to slow down for it - it's about my third time on wet roads with the 'III' on the rear. Steady as a rock. So far, so good. Within the next mile, there are 2 closely spaced traffic lights, then a slight "S" curve.

I was just coming out of the "S", in the right hand lane, when I heard a siren. But I couldn't quite tell where it was coming from. I rolled off throttle and was looking around to see if it was coming from behind (unlikely) or ahead. Well, crap! It's coming in from a side street on my left and, I'm about 50' from the intersection!

Honestly, I have no idea how hard I hit the rear brake. I've never had the drum brakes on the 650 lock up. At most, I've had them 'chirp' if I downshift aggressively with the brake applied. Well, just as I was adding some front brake, the rear locked. On a wet road, as I was moving toward the curb, and started sliding - of course - to my right, also toward the curb! I was in total "Oh ****" mode. The rear was so far off-track, I was afraid to let up too much and let it high-side me, but I didn't it want the rear to hit the curb. Between front brake and letting off the rear brake, the bike jumped back in-line without throwing me, but I didn't come to a stop until I was smack-dab in the middle of the intersection. Albeit at the curb, as far away from the Ambulance (it was an ambulance) as possible. They were just sitting there, watching me. Probably wondering if they were going to have another emergency.

I gave them a bit of a wave... they went through, turning right [whoops - I mean left] (into the direction I was heading), and I followed. After working to get back into 1st, that is. I came to a stop in either 3rd or, maybe even 4th. I had too many things going to keep downshifting.

So, that's my "Wet Roads - Michelin Commander III" story. What's my take? Uh, the wet handling is still better than what I had. And I'll feel more 'sure footed' in normal driving, even on a wet road. But, I imagine I'll be skittish about braking on wet roads for a while! Ugh - Captions got clipped. That's "Ambulance" and, "Where I finally stopped".

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,166 Posts
Glad you escaped with a scare only! Stopping distance in dry and wet conditions do not vary by a lot - could be as little as 3 yards from 60 mph - provided the tires are kept rolling and have a grippy compound. Once you lock up, there is a big difference between a wet and dry surface, though. Several times a year, I practice locking up the front wheel in wet conditions just to keep my reflexes going - quick release needed - and to retain my confidence of braking to the limit also when grip is limited. YMMV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just put a new 3 on the back of my Stratoliner two weeks ago and haven't got but 250 miles on so far. I will repost in a couple of weeks after my road trip to the lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Should have a pretty good idea after the twisty roads we are hitting out there. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I totally forgot to write the follow up on this tire after I rode to the lake. I found that this tire runs great down the road and sticks really well (even though I wanted it to break free a couple of times getting wild at the strip). I never felt this slip or kick out on even when I was grinding the foot boards in the twisty stuff. I will say that it lays over and transitions from side to side really well even after a dozen or so really high speed miles and then dropping down to lay over in a hairpin, it didn't give or wiggle on me. Now my only comparison through the years has been the Metzlers that I have always run and so take this with a grain of salt. I will say that I am happy with this tire and will most likely buy it again in about a year when I will hit the 7-10,000 mark and my liner eats through this one (unless it wears a lot better but I doubt that). I will be updating again when I get to the end of the tire about miles ridden and how many were playing hard vs. cruising the open roads.

Edit: I don't know what the line is on the left center of the tire but it isn't always there, maybe how it comes in the garage on the slick floor?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,166 Posts
A tire that slips during cornering on a cruiser, unless you are scraping hard parts like exhaust/frame/engine/stands hard enough to lift the bike off the road, are unacceptable. Would be surprised if you can even find such a tire these days.

Hence what is important is grip under hard acceleration and braking, how stable the bike is at elevated speeds, how quick it will change direction, how smooth the ride is and how they wear. YMMV

BTW, your tire sounds like it works very well. The stripe in the center is likely from production.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
I don't work with tires, but automotive thru major industrial rubber belts.
As long as the line does not increase in depth or width it is perfectly fine.
Might get a LITTLE wider after 1+ thousand miles, but only a millimeter or 2.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
I'll add my take on the Commander 3 tire. Resently put a Commander 3 on the rear to replace my worn Commander 2. Currently have several hundred miles on it and two rainy commutes. I'm very pleased with the feel in both dry grip and wet riding. My concern about putting the 3 on the rear is I still have a 2 on the front with good thread left. I emailed Michelin and they confirmed that the 2 and 3 are compatible with each other. My rear was worn right to the wear marks and had noticed the rear would want to follow road seams more than when it was new. When I put the new 3 on, no more twitchy feeling wanting to follow the road seams. I'll attempt to remember to update wear and anything else about the 3 for others to possibly decide if the tire is right for them. I like it very much and pleased with my decision to put the 3 on.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts