Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too am considering the C3's for my next rear tire. That tread wear after 3100 miles is amazing! How many miles do you usually get from your previous tires? I'm on my second Commander 2's and have only been able to get 12K miles tops, not like the advertised 20K miles. I also read other reviews that mention vibration issues from the C3's, mostly from the front tire. I run Bridgestone's on the front so this doesn't apply to me. I also highly recommend using Ride-On tire sealant and balancer. Best stuff to keep the air in and balance the tires without using weights, and does a better job at it.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
I've ran three C2s. Two on a Vstar 1100, 18k on on and 20k on the other. One C2 on Harley EG, 17k on that one with a lot more two up riding. Never had any vibration.

Reactions: 07Strat

·
11,088 Posts
Not C3 related, but here is my front C2 with 20k miles on it as of today. I'm running C3 on rear and C2 on front. The rear was worn out 3k miles ago and as you can see the front is still good. Micholin says you can mix the two, I've had no issues running it this way.

Reactions: 07Strat

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is incredible wear on your fronts. I usually get 12-13K from the Bridgestone Exedra Max's in the front. I would try the C2 or C3 front tire for my Strat but I can't find a 130/70/18 in radial. They only seem to make bias ply fronts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So if you wanted to do MCIII's you'd do a rear tire size of 200/55/17 (instead of the OEM 190/60/17) and stay the same size (130/70/18) on the front?

·
11,088 Posts
So if you wanted to do MCIII's you'd do a rear tire size of 200/55/17 (instead of the OEM 190/60/17) and stay the same size (130/70/18) on the front?
Hopefully someone will answer shortly, I was able to get stock sizes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's correct. I just put on the C3's 200/55/R17 on my Strat. Tread looks deeper than the C2's and with 100% silica compound (holy grail for tires), I hope I get a lot more than 10K miles that I got with the C2's. I run Bridgestone Exedra Max 130/70/R18 on the front.

·
11,088 Posts
You got the "proper size" rear in C3? 190/60/17?
When I bought for the Vstar 1100 and Harley, yes. Wasn't sure which bike you were looking to get tires for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's correct. I just put on the C3's 200/55/R17 on my Strat. Tread looks deeper than the C2's and with 100% silica compound (holy grail for tires), I hope I get a lot more than 10K miles that I got with the C2's. I run Bridgestone Exedra Max 130/70/R18 on the front.
Thanks 07! I've nothing against the Bridges that I've run, but I've heard so much positive response from the C3 that I was hoping to get a set when I've gone through what I have now (Dunlop).

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought for the Vstar 1100 and Harley, yes. Wasn't sure which bike you were looking to get tires for.
09 Strat. I do most of my shopping for bike stuff through FortNine (Canada's version of Revzilla or JP Cycle) and that size doesn't come up as a possibility for C3 on their site.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've read reviews on the front C3's and people are complaining about vibration issues. Michelin doesn't even make an 18" front tire in C3 or C2 so it's a moot point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just found out the C3 I got is the Cruiser version because it says so on the tire. My only concern right now with this C3C is the tread depth at the shoulders. I live in an area with a lot of twisties and typically wear down the shoulders first before the center.

Here below is the tread pattern difference between the Cruiser (left) and Touring on the right. I confirmed the tread patterns on Michelin's site. The pic and verbiage below is from CycleWorld so they don't say which tire is what.

·
11,088 Posts
I know I'm on a different bike, but it's a 900 pound plus touring bike, Harley Electric Glide. I have the C3 Touring Tire.

Put on October 18, 2020. I just looked and have 4900 miles on it. Most of my riding is commuting and road trips. My roads are 90 percent concrete and really tough on tires. As you can tell I'm not a major corner carver on this bike. I got caught in rain on way home so look past the dirt. I don't think you will have any issues with the off center tread wearing out.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whether it's Touring or Cruiser, I think it's dependent on the tire size. In the 200/55/R17, the Cruiser is the only option because I don't think many touring bikes have that wide of a tire. I hope to get somewhere close to that tire wear you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing your pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to see I am not the only one with that strange middle stripe on my tire. I had checked that a few times last year after I installed mine and it never went away, eventually I quit checking and forgot about it but you pics clearly show up with that same stripe down the middle. I haven't ridden much and don't have accurate numbers because of this but I am approaching 8-10 months of various riding and found zero issues on my 3 and I am not nice to the tire when I ride. Just ran a couple hundred miles on Saturday through everything: twistys, dirt, gravel and of course regular highway to and from. Lots of hard take offs goofing around with the guys. It still looks new as well.

·
11,088 Posts
That center seam is a casting mark. I did a search, it was bugging me too.

Reactions: nathanw

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eastside Toronto. As far as sizing goes on the Strat I have an 06 and was able to put this on mine by hand with spoons. MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser Rear Tire (200/55R-17) I ordered mine from amazon. I put 130/70-18 63H on the front only because the 3 wasn't out yet, like Les said I haven't had any trouble with this pairing.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts