Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some Vance and Hines pipes to install on my 650 and was told to use the dynojet 4168 kit with it. I am new to working on bikes so this looks good to me as it includes the parts I need and I would have support from them if I needed help.

Question is are these kits worth the price or should I be buying parts by themselves and saving money?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Kit = $70-$80 I believe
Jets from a local bike shop = $7 or $8 each.
All the tech support you could ever need available here, FOC!

You do the math.

I know exactly how you feel being apprehensive about it. I just did it myself for the first time. I had a MAXAIR kit the PO had purchased so I used parts from that. But I can say I would never buy a kit. Just what individual jets I need and be done with it. That kit is now on a shelf in my shop with more parts still in it unused than I took from it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i bought the kit and its sitting on my bench now. never worked right. took it into my dealer and they tuned the carbs for less then the kit was.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Lemme see......buy a kit for $80.......then throw away $70 worth of stuff that you just bought. If that makes sense to you....buy the kit.

I look at it this way.....if the shop isn't smart enough to know exactly what jets I need.....I'm not EVER going to let them touch my bike.

You can get a pair of small Mikuni mains for about $10-12 from any decent parts place. I've had the best luck getting them from my local Harley dealer......best price in town. With the 650.....do a little reading and you'll know exactly what size you'll need. There isn't much guess work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any sticky or link to what size jets I would need? I did a quick search but didn't find much unless I was using the wrong wording.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went through all this last week. Heres the research. I did waste money on a jet kit. didnt need to.

Read these. twice.
http://www.650ccnd.com/perf.htm
specifically this chart is useful-
http://www.650ccnd.com/rejett.htm

First off, they speak truth about the brass screws- they strip out immediately. use an ez-out to remove, then get the nice allen head stainless ones from this guy-
http://greggzivney.com/zivblog/carb-screw-kit/

Next, here's my finds. I have V&H cruisers, the GAK(pod filters instead of stock airbox), and the needle clip in the 4th groove, with 125 jets.

NOTE- mikuni jets and dunojet jets use a different numbering system!!! I couldnt find any cross reference between the two.

Now, after hours and moneys spend fiddling, I can say that I think there is no performance increase. Testing with a smartphone 0-60 and 1/4 mile app shows *maybe* a .5 second 1/4 mile time difference. The bike is a bit louder- you can tell that its sucking more air in- but doesnt seem any faster. time will tell on fuel mileage difference.

now, to be fair, testing was not perfect conditions. the app is glitchy. Also, control was my buddies 650 with stock intake, jets, and V&H slip-ons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Sparky

it's a little diff up here, I searched where to buy Mikuni parts locally but not many hits. May have to bite the bullet and get the parts from the US. The jet kits looked pleasing because all shops stock them up here, but no sense wasting money.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I just went through all this last week. Heres the research. I did waste money on a jet kit. didnt need to.

Read these. twice.
http://www.650ccnd.com/perf.htm
specifically this chart is useful-
http://www.650ccnd.com/rejett.htm

First off, they speak truth about the brass screws- they strip out immediately. use an ez-out to remove, then get the nice allen head stainless ones from this guy-
http://greggzivney.com/zivblog/carb-screw-kit/

Next, here's my finds. I have V&H cruisers, the GAK(pod filters instead of stock airbox), and the needle clip in the 4th groove, with 125 jets.

NOTE- mikuni jets and dunojet jets use a different numbering system!!! I couldnt find any cross reference between the two.

Now, after hours and moneys spend fiddling, I can say that I think there is no performance increase. Testing with a smartphone 0-60 and 1/4 mile app shows *maybe* a .5 second 1/4 mile time difference. The bike is a bit louder- you can tell that its sucking more air in- but doesnt seem any faster. time will tell on fuel mileage difference.

now, to be fair, testing was not perfect conditions. the app is glitchy. Also, control was my buddies 650 with stock intake, jets, and V&H slip-ons.
your first two links on the 650 dont work anymore anyone know of an alternative? i get my jets from niche cycle in florida

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
thanks Sparky

it's a little diff up here, I searched where to buy Mikuni parts locally but not many hits. May have to bite the bullet and get the parts from the US. The jet kits looked pleasing because all shops stock them up here, but no sense wasting money.
I'm not sure where "up here" is, but there are thousands of vendors that send parts all over the world every day right at your finger tips.

Maybe it's just me...but being able to keep $60 - $70 in my pocket is a good enough reason to wait a few extra days to do a project. Call Tim at Metric Magic with the sizes you need and he'll ship them to you....I know he ships worldwide...575-671-0050

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
They definitely need to move where they have that info stored. I had to do that with the V Star 1100 wKB. It would shut down right before the end of the month...and it kept getting sooner and sooner. The place it was stored kept demanding more and more $$$..... so it got moved and there havent been any more issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure where "up here" is, but there are thousands of vendors that send parts all over the world every day right at your finger tips.

Maybe it's just me...but being able to keep $60 - $70 in my pocket is a good enough reason to wait a few extra days to do a project. Call Tim at Metric Magic with the sizes you need and he'll ship them to you....I know he ships worldwide...575-671-0050
Dollar sucks now, shipping is expensive, and usually get charged with duties...so even if its a $15 order, it ends up costing at least double if not more lately..up here in good old Canuckistan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts