Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little disappointed going to the pharmacy today. With all of the world and technology i ran into a virtual pharmacist. I had to call to pick up my prescription today. NO i don't get it i want Gary back. I will also go to a cashier instead of an automated check out. I want to do my part to help these people to keep their jobs. We are getting to be a world of more cost and less service. The virtual Pharmacist just put me over the top. Who checks the pharmacy techs work? Not that i need a lot of service but i want Gary back. :crying:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Some days yes...Other days no..For instance I was in the drive thru line at Wendy's about 8 cars deep. So I thought I will just go in and be out before the car in front of me....like it is a challenge...so off I went. First thing I encounter is the self service kiosk..Just put my card in..touch the picture of what I want and be on my way....well me being a stubborn old man I decided to forgo the kiosk and get in the small line. After about 10 min of being ignored, some mouth breather looked at me and asked if they could help me...I almost answered the way I felt which would have been something like this..."I doubt it but at this point what do I have to lose" but needless to say I got my food and was on my way..BTW I lost the challenge as I saw the car before me pull out of the lot about 5 min before I got my food..

But on a different level my job is slowly going the way of electronic delivery. I do not think I will lose my job but those with less years in will feel the effect of electronic delivery. I am a field technician/ site coordinator for a manufacturer of high volume mail equipment. The account that I am in charge of have seen our volumes drop approx 30-40%. Predictions are for further drops but at a slower rate.

But technology brings us things like this forum and also has helped me fix all kinds of things around my house with You Tube and other forums. So I guess it is inevitable that technology is an off chute of the necessity is the mother of all inventions mindset..

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Yes and No. I still read hardback books and printed magazines. I have a current printed Atlas. I'll take a carb over fuel injection on a track vehicle. I like good customer interaction over self checkout of kiosk. I'd rather talk to you in person that on a forum. But I do enjoy the convience of most technology.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes and No. I still read hardback books and printed magazines. I have a current printed Atlas. I'll take a carb over fuel injection on a track vehicle. I like good customer interaction over self checkout of kiosk. I'd rather talk to you in person that on a forum. But I do enjoy the convenience of most technology.
Yeah, what Les said. Except fuel injection totally rocks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Absolutely, Positively YES! Computers, cell phones and all these other gadgets that were supposed to make peoples lives easier have only served to make people busier and more impersonal. Nobody is going to tell me that Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and others like it have not contributed to the breakdown of our society and families. I am going to stop there as it really boils my blood to see what is happening. By the way I will choose a carbed bike over fuel injection as long as carbed bikes are still available. Easier to deal with if I break down along the road. With a carbed bike there is a good chance I will get it going again. Have seen too many fuel injected bikes being trailered home because of bad sensor or injector that can't be diagnosed on the road so off to dealer they go. If I get so busy I can't wait a minute or 2 for my bike to warm up just shoot me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I guess i am network unsociable. I have never been on faceplant, peekabook,tweeter or any other. This forum is as close as i get.
Same here.

But I'm resigned to the inevitability of it all. The following generations can't imagine life without a phone in front of their face. They don't even know what the hell we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It irks me a lot when you go to a restaurant and everyone's face is in their phone. I have a track phone that i only use for calls and texts. When i go up north you can't even get reception and they all have to socialize. It is funny i have no bars.................. then i just open a beer and laugh.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oh yea, I would start a Flinstonian movement but I would have to use the computer and that would defeat the purpose.
We could completely stymie the younger generation with standard transmissions and communicating with cursive handwriting.

And cash only transactions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Speaking of technology.

The younger generation is totally dependent on it.

I went to a burger joint the other day and a teenager took my order. She rang it up and told me the amount. I gave her an extra dollar but suddenly realized I had some change in my pocket but not the exact change, a little over.
So I asked her to give me my dollar back and I handed her the extra change. Immediately she had the "deer in the headlights" look on her face. She looked at the register and then back at me and didn't say a word. I busted out laughing and told her to just keep the dollar and give me the change it showed on the register.

Evidently cursive writing isn't the only thing they aren't teaching in school anymore.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
try going to one of the newly renovated mc-donalds and ordering a hamburger on the giant touchscreen tablet, without a drink and fries - there is no place on the menu where it says "just the burger" or "not a whole meal"

I go in and order from the lady at the register and pay with cash, it takes about 20 seconds. I stand there and watch people come in and try to use the touchscreen self-order machine, it takes them about 2 minutes to place their order and pay for it

also the nice big menu displays they have are flat screen TVs that have been rotated 90 degrees vertical. The polarizers on them are vertical now, so when I walk in with my prescription polarized sunglasses they are all totally black, I cant see them unless I take my glasses off, and now I have to squint to read them.

I hate key fobs. I see no reason to disturb the electro-magnetic continuum and transmit RF energy out into the universe, just to unlock the door of my car. I have never had a car key fail to open the door, and been locked out - ever. Ive never had a car key set off the panic alarm on my car while I was reaching in my pocket to get something else - ever. Ive never had a car key lock me out because its battery went dead. Ive never had to replace a $1000 body module in a car because it failed and now the door wont open with the keyfob, and the engine wont start because the car thinks you are trying to steal your own car.

Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler. Reliability is a function of complexity. The more 'things' that you need to use everyday, the more probable that one of those things will fail, and at some point in your day you wont be able to do what you need or want to do, because something that was convenient but not necessary is now stopping you from doing what you need.

BTW this is the problem with fuel injection, there are hundreds of components in a fuel injected bike that must all work or the engine wont run. On a bike with carbs, there are only a few active components, the rest are mechanical, and they do not wear out.

When I started driving in 1975 nearly all cars had carbs. I somehow managed to get one of the first production fuel injected cars, a 1968 VW squareback. Guess what happened? It failed frequently until I was able to figure out which sensor thing was intermittent and replaced it. Ive owned many cars with carbs, Ive never had any of them fail to run because of carb issues. I never had a carb'd vehicle fail a state inspection because the check engine light was on (there is no check engine light).

The one big advantage for fuel injection engines is they start really well when its below zero F. That is not an issue for motorcycles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes and no. In some cases, I love technology. For instance, I adore some of the latest electronic gadgetry. I am an avid reader with a very large library of some 15,000 volumes of ebooks, and just can't imagine not having my handy Kobo ereader for my nightly reading pleasure. I am also a lover of fine music, (graduated a million years ago with a music degree) and I insist on the best/latest-greatest equipment for my "audiophile-level" listening pleasure, including a newly-purchased Sony hi-res portable audio player (no standard "mp3 players" for this dude!) for my 13,000+ uncompressed FLAC files, and I also recently bought a new pair of high-end ("on ear") Bang & Olufsen headphones that one must experience firsthand to be believed, and I also own an equally fantastic pair of "over-the-ear" Sennheisers.

And I just can't even imagine not surfing the net/watching TV shows/movies, etc on my pricey-yet-terrific Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 tablet, (I will be pre-ordering the soon-to-be-released... and ridiculously costly... Galaxy Tab S6 tablet next week.

A couple months ago I purchased the truly amazing new Xiaomi Mi 9 smartphone, with its outstanding 4-camera array, including a 48MP Sony sensor which, matched with Xiaomi's unbeatable artificial intelligence, is capable of capturing absolutely stunning quality images. But I have never in my life sent anyone a text, and I doubt that I ever will. Sorry, but if a simple email or phone call does not suffice, then you won't be hearing from me. If there is anything that I despise, it's seeing everyone these days with their eyes forever glued to their [email protected] phones, instead of having an actual conversation for God's sake! Seriously, would it kill you to put the phone down for a minute and actually talk with someone?? I hate all of the "social networking" sites/apps, such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumbler, and a gazillion others. It's not for this guy!

I am a pretty hardcore landscape/nature photographer and collector of fine cameras, (I currently use four Sony Alpha-series DSLRs for most of my work) but I'm also somewhat of an old-school guy in many respects too... I still shoot with film (and do my own film developing) and currently own about 70 pristine vintage/antique cameras, some of which date back over a century, yet are still capable of resolution/tonal quality that most of today's best digital sensors have yet to match.

I flat-out refuse to ever use an automated checkout. Ever! And Jeezus, a virtual pharmacist? What the heck? Not a chance! And I despise drivethru's. Oh yeah, and I truly hate automated ticket kiosks at airports.

I am a collector of "normal" wristwatches/timepieces, but I would not be caught dead with a "smartwatch" on my wrist; they are just plain dumb in my opinion... a complete waste of "technology". So yeah, I'm a bit of a strange duck!

PS: and YES, fuel injection totally rocks!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was an Electronics Tech in the Navy, when I got out I did it for awhile repairing office equipment and hospital equipment. Because of all the problems and screw ups I have seen with electronics everyday doing that, I am almost afraid to stick my card in an ATM. I know all it takes is one little glitch and now I have to order a new card and wait till it comes to continue my normal life. How many here worked on cars growing up? Points, carbs, very few vacuum lines, anyone with half a brain could work on it. Now if you don't have a bank of computers and a bunch of special cables you are in big trouble. The Strat is my first motorcycle with fuel injection and it scares me to death. I know how to work on them, but carbs are more forgiving when out on the road and broke down.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I grew up with points....hey kids know what they are? My 1800VTX had fuel injection had no problem in 10 years. Carbs are one of those things on a car i would rebuild for my self but not for others. I have a 1962 dodge dart slant six and i can have a hoedown under the hood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts