Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all my thoughts for today are I’ve been thinking about insurance for the upcoming riding season. Wondering what others are doing for insurance and what kinda coverage should be purchased. I’ve used Auto owners for the last three years but I’m considering a change from a 6 month term to 12 months. As I’m not really sure what coverage I really need thought I would check here and see what everyone here thinks and uses.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,948 Posts
I use Allstate. It's bundled with house and cars. It only adds a few hundred a year. Here's a thread from a few months ago.

·
2,742 Posts
Around here you pay for a year regardless of the fact that it sits in storage for 5 or 6 months. That's not necessarily a bad thing because as a registered vehicle it doesn't fall under my home insurance. It gives me peace of mind to know it's covered in case of fire and theft. Cost without collision is around $600 per year around here. Adding collision would double that. Yeah, insurance is a racket around here.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Michigan you have a choice of determining value and time it’s not that it is a huge amount of money. My HD IS $190.00 for 6 months at a value of $5000.00 And $ 50.00 for 6 months storage. I don’t believe that any homeowners insurance covers motorized vehicles. At least not without a rider. My issue is that I’d like to insure all three bikes for the summer ride looking into a policy that can do that at a reasonable cost. Anyone else insure more than one for the year or for six months. Also wondering about the medical part are’s has to many choices.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Around here you pay for a year regardless of the fact that it sits in storage for 5 or 6 months. That's not necessarily a bad thing because as a registered vehicle it doesn't fall under my home insurance. It gives me peace of mind to know it's covered in case of fire and theft. Cost without collision is around $600 per year around here. Adding collision would double that. Yeah, insurance is a racket around here.
Sorry that you’re insurance cost is way higher than ours in Michigan. Mine is like $190.00 for 6 months for full coverage at a set value.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My cars & bike are bundled with my flood insurance. The bundle saves me some money. For the bike specifically, it covers medical & liability for little over $28 a month or just shy of $340 a year. To add full coverage on the bike, it would have jumped the price up to close to $1,000 a year for the bike alone. I would be paying more for insurance on the bike then I did for each car.

Thanks for posting this. I am going to call my insurance guy & see what it would cost for full. See if it's gone down. Hell, I may shop around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have progressive. Was cheaper to get a policy not on homeowners and auto. I pay $75 a year for liability and injury for 12 months.
When I checked with progressive it’s $300.00 per bike but that’s for the year but the deductible was $1000.00 and I couldn’t do anything but book value. I might have to call them and do a apple to apple check.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have green lizard insurance.
Klr cost more than the Roadstar.
I pay 190 a year for both and includes roadside assistance and labor.
100k property damage and 300k bodily damage.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I for got to add that i do have RV thru AAA that will also cover towing motorcycles. My wife got it on a whim. Good thing when i blew the rear end on my tahoe they towed my camper up to 250 miles for free. We had 150 miles to get upnorth. I have never needed a bike towed.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
I also have Flo and Jamie and the rest of the progressive gang for about the same price as the’beave’ pays. It doesn’t change based on the season and they’re easy to get ahold of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok how did you get insurance for $75.00 the cheapest I can come up with is like $295.00per year and that’s not full coverage $416.00 full coverage And the second I add next bike is $690.00 that’s with a very clean driving history no tickets in 45 years
7FFBAE12-6F29-43ED-BCF6-8CCCE76D438C.png
A1EA9B10-850B-45A0-A096-468EF85FA62F.png
53D7634F-FB3F-4127-8A50-3C73E5F7DBE5.png
Must be because of living here in Michigan. So at this price point will be staying with auto owners.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ok how did you get insurance for $75.00 the cheapest I can come up with is like $295.00per year and that’s not full coverage $416.00 full coverage And the second I add next bike is $690.00 that’s with a very clean driving history no tickets in 45 years View attachment 91815 View attachment 91816 View attachment 91817 Must be because of living here in Michigan. So at this price point will be staying with auto owners.
That is steep. I would get a quote from some of the competitors.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is steep. I would get a quote from some of the competitors.
That’s kinda what I thought as of now I’m still with auto owners per bike is only $180.00 for the first one with full Michigan coverage and I believe that the second one is like $150.00 for the same coverage. I don’t want to be with out full coverage as I’ve seen that created a nightmare for some riders.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That’s kinda what I thought as of now I’m still with auto owners per bike is only $180.00 for the first one with full Michigan coverage and I believe that the second one is like $150.00 for the same coverage. I don’t want to be with out full coverage as I’ve seen that created a nightmare for some riders.
I can relate to that.
In my case, not really worth getting FC.
Insurance would not cover what the bike is actually worth if it gets wrecked or stolen.
Not really worried about it getting my bike ripped off.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can relate to that.
In my case, not really worth getting FC.
Insurance would not cover what the bike is actually worth if it gets wrecked or stolen.
Not really worried about it getting my bike ripped off.
That’s why I bought from auto owners they have a policy that you can determine what value your bike is worth with in reason.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts