Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to attempt my first Saddle sore 1000 either Nov. 23rd or 24th. Leaving from Asheboro NC and headed down I-95 to Daytona and back. 1,048 miles is what Google maps is showing. Looking to leave around 4 am or 5 am. I am hoping I-95 won't have much traffic after Thanksgiving. Planning on 8 stops for gas and 2 stops for meals. The stops and meals I have planned to take up a total of 3 hours. 15 min each gas and 30 min for meals. I will most likely not take that long but want to have it built in. Any other tips would be appreciated from anyone that has done one.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
How much time do you have for the whole trip?

When I first got my 650 I was commuting 1/2 hour each way, took longer rides on the weekend. I was surprised to find I hit a wall after only about 2 hours of riding.

After a point you are still tired and sore even after a 30 minute break, and pushing yourself further is just an ordeal. If you get half way there and find you are spent, its not a terrible thing to spend the night at a motel at the mid point. Good to have that for a backup plan, esp if you start to not feel well (headache, cramps, numb legs...).

If you dont have a windshield on your bike 75mph for 520 miles is going to give you a pounding.

Have you taken 4 or 6 hour road trips before?

The other thing I have found, riding on secondary roads you get to stop every 10 or 20 miles or so for an intersection or a turn, put your feet down, stand up, wiggle your butt. On the interstate its 2 hours straight of sitting in the seat with your feet on the pegs. The only thing I have found that helps there is to push your knees forward and back, in opposite directions. It lets you wiggle your butt on the seat and get your blood flowing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much time do you have for the whole trip?

When I first got my 650 I was commuting 1/2 hour each way, took longer rides on the weekend. I was surprised to find I hit a wall after only about 2 hours of riding.

After a point you are still tired and sore even after a 30 minute break, and pushing yourself further is just an ordeal. If you get half way there and find you are spent, its not a terrible thing to spend the night at a motel at the mid point. Good to have that for a backup plan, esp if you start to not feel well (headache, cramps, numb legs...).

If you dont have a windshield on your bike 75mph for 520 miles is going to give you a pounding.

Have you taken 4 or 6 hour road trips before?

The other thing I have found, riding on secondary roads you get to stop every 10 or 20 miles or so for an intersection or a turn, put your feet down, stand up, wiggle your butt. On the interstate its 2 hours straight of sitting in the seat with your feet on the pegs. The only thing I have found that helps there is to push your knees forward and back, in opposite directions. It lets you wiggle your butt on the seat and get your blood flowing.
Yes I do have a windshield and fork lowers and crash bar lowers so I have little to no wind hitting me. I am looking to finish in 17 hours, if I can make that pace, it will give me time to stop and sleep for a few hours if I start to hit that wall. I ride roughly 300 miles a week and ride 120 of those miles on the highway coming back to school. I have done a 10 hour day with 9 hours actually in the saddle and was not tired or worn out so I am confident that I can do another 7-8 hours. Especially if I have a mission to accomplish 😎

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Thats hardcore!

(wont ask what or who your mission is :^)

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Good luck and have fun. Stay hydrated.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
Please keep us updated as you can along the way, you’ve gotten great advice and I’ve seen you ride so I know you’ve got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's funny that its 1048 miles, I did 1048 in 48 hrs to see a high school buddy playing at the Anarchy Library in Downey Ca. Surprised the heck out of him. Hadn't seen him in 20 yrs. Good luck with you trip.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Good luck with the ride and I wish you the best. I think one of the most important things to be concerned with on a long haul is staying hydrated which has a huge impact on one's mental faculties. That's item #2 on the list, staying alert and aware of your surroundings. Saddle soreness is easy to deal with compared to staying alert. I find that after about 9 hours of highway droning it becomes increasingly more difficult for me to stay on my 'A' game... after about 14 hours it's a crap-shoot, like riding with a buzz and the risks increase so my self-imposed limits these days is 700-800 miles per day... aging sucks.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
agree with staying hydrated

Most people dont know that your skin attempts to keep a layer of moisture by taking water from your blood and pushing it thru your skin.

If your skin is exposed to the wind (for any reason, in any sport) the water is stripped away and your body keeps pumping the water out.

On a motorcycle it is worse with no windshield and a mesh jacket with no wind breaker layer. Drink more water than you think you need to, even though you will have to make more restroom breaks.

The best indicator of dehydration is the color of your urine. If you are producing dark yellow you are dehydrated. When it starts to look orange you are past the point of recovery by drinking fluids, and you need an IV - seriously. Once you reach a certain point your pulse increases faster and faster (over 160) and your blood pressure drops.

If you are riding exposed to the wind (britt has a windshield) you need to be drinking more water than you think.

·
Registered
956 Posts
  • Have good rain gear!
  • Music. (I know I need it. I am only good in my own head for about an hour before needing other voices)
  • Water for hydration as others said
  • AAA for motorcycles just in case
  • Make you use do a pre-check before leaving. Oil, tire air pressure, etc.
  • Check lights at pit stops.
  • Riding at night - be careful to not let you mind wonder.
  • I mean this with respect. DO NOT BE A DUMB ASS! If you body tells to stop. STOP! Or if the weather tells you to stop. STOP!
Other than that ... Have a great trip!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just finished up a 1K in the truck last week. Not my first run on that route, so was familiar with the roads and knew spots to stop for fuel and food. And it still was not easy on a body.
- Google maps will tell you 16-17 hours...add at least 10 minutes for every 150ish miles to stop for fuel (i figure on 200 in a truck)
-at least 2 half hour stops for food and bathroom...can't eat while wearing a helmet
-check and double check the weather the length of the route before leaving
-check the route for detours, tolls (and prices), road work
-be ready and willing to stop somewhere and get some rest rather than trying to push through. Dozing off in a car is dangerous enough. I have had to stop 2 hours from my final stop and sleep for an hour just to finish the trip.

Good luck and have a safe trip

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'd like to add something else, having just road 2 hours from dusk to night.
make sure your headlight is bright enough to see!
Side note - I've order an LED headlight & replacement spot lights. (They died a month ago.)

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Banned
137 Posts
When my bottom goes to sleep I have been able to push back on my hips to move the pressure point more up my hips and free up my bottom to re circulation, works for me, but I have a Mustang seat on my 1300T.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My only addition to this list would be to stay limber. Start stretching a couple days before your ride, know what you need to keep an eye on as far as cramps where when how to deal with those, learn how you can stretch a bit on the bike, even if it's just your calves. Stretching helps keep your blood flowing.
Oh, and multiple pairs of gloves

·
Registered
51 Posts
The two I've done were both on a Victory Vision, and it was like cheating on that bike.

Both times Sheboygan WI heading west (one ended in Cheyenne, the other in Buffalo, WY)
Got up early, on the road by 4:00 am.
Light breakfast and lunch.
Take a quick nap under a tree in the early afternoon, then when you get back up down a 5hr energy
HYDRATE!!!!!
Enjoy the best beer of your life when you stop for dinner after it's all done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts