Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Makes two of us.... I think there are a few others here but havent posted up in the Aus section. Ill start with a brief description, im 25 like long walks on the beach and outdoor activities...........oh wait wrong website!! i have a 2006 vstar 1100 that i picked up a few years ago from a deceased estate with about 2000kms on the clock, she has V&H pipes and i added some billet grips which so far is all thats been done to her. ive got a lowering kit and hd spring waiting to be installed and theres some other bits and peices im going to source over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aussie

Gday Dan...I am Wayne...Live in Mandurah West Aussie where we have no water unlike you who has plenty of water...Lots of fires over my way... last 2 days fire north of me took out 60 + homes...I am 56 and ride a Roadliner and am still deciding what i want to add...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Frog ive been catching a bit on the news about the fires over there its just terrible!! luckily for me townsville wasnt hit to bad by Yasi so all that happened to me was i lost power. Ive gotten my bits and peices off www.pacificcoaststar.com they where very helpful and i thought well priced and have a great range of stuff for the yamaharleys.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
G'Day Fella's. I'm Glen. I'm on the wrong end of 40 and this is the first forum that I have ever used and still trying to get used to it. It's been good talking to people from all over the place.
Bad fires Wayne, I've lived the the Blue Mountains for years and have been through some bad ones but none that took out houses like that in WA. With all this rain the Eastcoast has had there is a lot of new growth coming through here and too little control burns so the next one we have will be a worry. Dan I'll have a look at www.pacificcoaster.com as I hadn't heard of that one and am always on the lookout for a better deal like the rest of us. I am just getting back into bikes after a long long time and have been ordering some accessories through www.cruisercustomising.com and a couple of other places that I can't remember the names of at the moment. Don't know if QLD and WA are the same but NSW is terrible when it comes to trying to find accessories. Even our local bike wrecker told me Star bike bits go as soon as they come in.
As for my old bike I have been doing it up for a while and still have to get it blue slipped/registered which I'm hoping to so real soon. She is old and high on klms but it'll do me for my pace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mates I am having a decision problem, I am living in Alaska right now, I am 54, I own two bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe and a 2009 XVS1300Tourer that I have tweaked around a bit with new tires, handlebar risers, done the exhaust mods and etc. So its my ride, it only has 1350 miles on it! Mostly its because I work all summer and winters in Alaska is not good for bikes.

Anyway I have never been to Oz, but I have been driving concrete mixers for over 15 years and that job pays good and has a demand in Oz or NZ plus your season is opposite ours so I'm making plans to fly down and work there during your summer, the area I am thinking is way south where the temps are more moderate. Probably Victoria.

Most everyone is saying its too expensive to bring a bike into Australia, duty taxes, inspections etc. So I'm just curious, what is the most popular bike down there? I would rather stay loyal to Yamaha as I think they are superior to most. Are cruisers too big or too expensive to buy?

It may be that I could wind up settling down there, I have seen all of America, Australia sounds like a country that will arise ahead of others what with all the political problems going on here, and I don't care about gun ownership stuff, I have more than I need anyway.

Thanks, and somber regards to those affected by the NZ earthquake.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Mates I am having a decision problem, I am living in Alaska right now, I am 54, I own two bikes a 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe and a 2009 XVS1300Tourer that I have tweaked around a bit with new tires, handlebar risers, done the exhaust mods and etc. So its my ride, it only has 1350 miles on it! Mostly its because I work all summer and winters in Alaska is not good for bikes.

Anyway I have never been to Oz, but I have been driving concrete mixers for over 15 years and that job pays good and has a demand in Oz or NZ plus your season is opposite ours so I'm making plans to fly down and work there during your summer, the area I am thinking is way south where the temps are more moderate. Probably Victoria.

Most everyone is saying its too expensive to bring a bike into Australia, duty taxes, inspections etc. So I'm just curious, what is the most popular bike down there? I would rather stay loyal to Yamaha as I think they are superior to most. Are cruisers too big or too expensive to buy?

It may be that I could wind up settling down there, I have seen all of America, Australia sounds like a country that will arise ahead of others what with all the political problems going on here, and I don't care about gun ownership stuff, I have more than I need anyway.

Thanks, and somber regards to those affected by the NZ earthquake.
G'Day Silverado.

If you can drive trucks you will more often than not pick up work here, being such an expansive country with limited rail, a lot is still moved on road, all over the country. You are right about Victoria, probably the most moderate state to aclimatise, especially coming from Alaska.

I don't have any idea of the cost of bringing a bike into the country. I have just gotten back into riding myself after a long long break. It would depend on what you want to ride. I know the Aust, US dollar is pretty even at the moment to give you an idea. Take the 650 V Star for example (as that was what I've been looking at). If you bought a late model it will cost you anywhere between $7500.00 to $12000.00 which I think is a fair bit more than you pay from what I've seen on the forum. Try this link, it is where I picked up my old bike. They have new and used, dealer and private sales, it is bikesales.com.au

Yes terrible what happened in Christchuch NZ. A Rescue Team has just arrived from the U.S. as well, taking it to 700 Rescuers from a lot of different countries now, you see the best in humanity in the worst of times. Likewise my thoughts and prayers have been with them all.

Good luck with it all mate, hope it helps. This is a beautiful country and a good option if your looking for a good home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My skills are specialized here in the states, in the 16 years I have worked at a concrete batching facility and hiring new drivers I always find a severe shortage of mixer drivers, all have to have a commercial drivers license, I believe you call that the HR license.
Any truck driver can drive the truck but thats a small part of offloading at the job sites, they can be anything from a homeowner pouring a sidewalk to being part of a fleet pouring non-stop for an aircraft runway.

Most companies won't hire a mixer driver unless they have at least two years operating such vehicle, my outfit however will accept trainees as its family owned. Its also non-union which is good or bad depending.

I have looked at some jobs on the web and there does seem to be a demand for agitator drivers. My first choice would be the smaller independently owned companies instead of the giant outfits like Hanson where I would expect favoritism when it comes to hiring.

When I first moved to Alaska I saw first hand job favoritism, unless you were a relative or had something they really really wanted bad the doors were shut on you.

Frankly getting a job isn't my priority to be in Australia, it would be nice should I consider living there even seasonally. I did look up what a new XVS1300A sells for there its $15,000 AUSD, thats the non tourer version, I paid $10,500 for mine new in Alaska, but from what I gather it may cost me $4,000 to ship it and all the customs fees. Costs are a little higher in Alaska, I hear some new Stars here that went unsold are selling for $7500.

I would probably find buying a used bike better there, here a Yamaha loses a LOT in value, its the Harleys that seem to retain value.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike

And if you buy a stock XVS 1300 i have a lovely set of Mustang seats and Roadhouse slip-on that i cant seem to pass onto somebody else...CHEAP...........:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am proud to say G'day boys. I am new into the bike world and been looking for a forum with V Star riders and they all seem to be USA and Canada based. must be a popular bike. But doesn't help us Aussie boys.
I have an XVS 650 with a set of V&H long pipes, White with White Walls- looks mint.
Just picked it up few weeks with about 1000k on the clock. Previous owner did not even ride it.
Silverado: i think it's cheaper to import a bike, especially if you own it anf want to bring it for personal use.http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/Info01.pdf
check out this site and there are few more like it and speak to a customs agent.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I am proud to say G'day boys. I am new into the bike world and been looking for a forum with V Star riders and they all seem to be USA and Canada based. must be a popular bike. But doesn't help us Aussie boys.
I have an XVS 650 with a set of V&H long pipes, White with White Walls- looks mint.
Just picked it up few weeks with about 1000k on the clock. Previous owner did not even ride it.
Silverado: i think it's cheaper to import a bike, especially if you own it anf want to bring it for personal use.http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/Info01.pdf
check out this site and there are few more like it and speak to a customs agent.
G'Day Dawg.

Welcome to the forum. There are only a few of us here but it doesn't matter as everyone speaks the same lingo.

Like yourself I have a XVS 650. have been doing it up since the middle of last year. Have been away from bikes for over 25 years and starting all over again.

That is a great idea importing a bike. I had no idea how much cheaper they were in the States until joing this forum. I picked up my old girl in QLD and had it trucked down as my funds were real limited and I saw this one on bikesales.com at an affordable price.

The info here is really good. I'm not mechanically minded but can do some minor maintenance and the tips the guys here can give are brilliant. Most of them are American and they really know their bikes.

If you want, and so they know your here and can help you, pop into the new member forum and introduce yourself. The guys would probably be interested to here how you picked up your bike from the U.S. end.

There is also a lot of taking the mickey on here in a friendly way and they are all a good bunch of troops and you'll get a good laugh on top of the info.

Guys who really can help you with any technical probs are Liner Dave, Fulltilt and Stratowart. I found here that bike talk is universal. I'm a bit of an older bloke now and this is my first forum and it has been good.

By the attachment for the import looks like your from SA. I'm from NSW, Frog is from WA and there are a couple of other boys from QLD and NSW but I have't seen them much.

All the best, hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Aussielad.
I can see that there are only a few here. Shame, but what can we do?!
I am actually from Vic, but rules are same for most parts of Aus, so that link was sent to me when I was making enquiries with importing agencies.
I ended up getting my Yama from Vic as well, just by chance. It wasn't even advertised in the paper, but a friend of a friend was getting rid of his. Only put 900k's on the clock. Basically a brand spanka.
Rides really well. Will be doing an oil and filter change this week, just coz it's been sitting in the cold for so long, gotta drain it and clean it up.
BTW- does yours make a tappet noise at all? or does it seem louder than it should be?
I kinda feel that mine is.. maybe i am just too picky ;)

I am looking at getting a harley from the states bit later on.

BTW what are you doing to the bike?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks Aussielad.
I can see that there are only a few here. Shame, but what can we do?!
I am actually from Vic, but rules are same for most parts of Aus, so that link was sent to me when I was making enquiries with importing agencies.
I ended up getting my Yama from Vic as well, just by chance. It wasn't even advertised in the paper, but a friend of a friend was getting rid of his. Only put 900k's on the clock. Basically a brand spanka.
Rides really well. Will be doing an oil and filter change this week, just coz it's been sitting in the cold for so long, gotta drain it and clean it up.
BTW- does yours make a tappet noise at all? or does it seem louder than it should be?
I kinda feel that mine is.. maybe i am just too picky ;)

I am looking at getting a harley from the states bit later on.

BTW what are you doing to the bike?

G'Day Mate.

Sounds like you got a good deal with the bike.

Mine is a 98 model with a lot of k's on her, but I was very limited with the budget and I had heard nothing but good reports about the 650's and decided this would be for me. I will only be a weekend warrior, at that age I suppose, Have plenty of mates who ride and will be travelling with them. She was a Ulysses members bike and baby'd for years. I don't get a tappet noise but it is interesting you say that as I have read many threads on this forum from the other guys who have said they get louder or quieter tappet noise from using different oils? No doubt someone on the forum would be able to answer it for you or point you in the right direction.

I havn't changed an oil filter yet but from what a lot of the fella's have said on the forum is to take note which way the filter goes in as apparently the ends are similar but it will only go one way. Hope this helps.

My old bike was a part restoration that I have finished, it has a custom paint job, toffee and pearl white metallic. She has lots of aftermarket including jama slash cut pipes and heaps of kuryakin gear, including pedals, grips and tombstone tailight. She has a panhead fender light on the front fender and handlebars that are allegedly of a HD Electraglide. It has that bit of a bagger look too with Max and Willie Studdied saddlebag and studded fork mounted toolbag. When I get a recent picture I'll give you a look as I'm mates with many of the guys on the forum and they like to be updated with pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds good. Would def love to see the bike and what u done to it. I hear they're bullet proof so I am sure it's just my imagination, but I am very fussy ;)
I saw heaps of video's on Youtube. highly recommend it for you too. Lots of good tips and you can actually see how it's all done as well.
I also posted a pic on the forum. it must be somewhere in my profile. I am just geting to know this site myself, so i am sure you'll find it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'day,
Mark, another aussie here, from Brisbane, own a 2010 vstar 650 custom. Added some HK 3" Res Tech dragpipes on her with a K&N filter. Doing a bobber conversion and GAK mod on it at the moment so it's off the road but should be up and running soon, fingers crossed, should look pretty unique when it's done. Great to see some 650 riders on here, is everybody else having as much fun on them as I am? great bike, happy and safe riding everyone

·
Registered
794 Posts
G'day from the US

G'day Boys,

I currently live in San Francisco but grew up in Melbourne and still consider it home. Thought I would drop a line in to the few of you here.

Never tried to buy a bike in Oz and hadn't realised how expensive it is! If I ever convince the hubby to move there I'm going to have to ship my VStar 1100 with me by the sounds of it. Mind you, after giving up my last bike four years ago I'm not sure I could ever sell another bike again anyway.... it pretty much becomes a part of you after a while. Wouldn't have sold that one except that non-rider hubby (then fiancee) pretty much talked me into it. This time around I have a bike that's big enough to throw him onto the back without him being uncomfortable, so as long as I can convince him to stop being scared shitless we are all good! :p

See you on the main forum!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hello

Gday M'Lady....I have some friends who until yesterday were in your part of the world...They left yesterday to go to santa Cruz..Think they staying at place called Morro bay then catching plane back to Perth......:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts