Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wire up and auxiliary speedo on their V Star? Having the speedo on the tank and wearing a full face helmet means I'm looking down more than I'd like, especially in areas that are prone to traps. Anyway, I found a small universal one that I might try to mount on the handlebar. Has anyone else tried this? Or know which is the signal wire for the speedometer?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a mount for my phone on my handlebar so I can see my phone without looking down much and have a speedometer app that I can open up. The app is free and is very accurate/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm that's not a bad idea. How's the app on battery life?
Not to bad, but my battery life is horrible in general have a charger on my handlebar also so if I'm riding more than 5 minutes I'm charger the phone anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use a Kuryakyn Powerpoint and run it directly to the battery. I hook up my android via a holding dock and have it on the charger at all times. I can use GPS and the DigiHud for speed calibration and everything is at eye level. It takes just a second to glance and get the right indicator.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'd be careful about running both speedos at the same time but if your disconnecting the oem one you should be ok. is the odometer a separate circuit ?
I wasn't planning to disconnect the stock speedo. The extra speedo I'm looking at draws power independently (red/black wires) and has a separate signal wire (green). What kind of issues could that cause?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another idea occurred to me... Could buy a used gps cheap (like garmin) and wire that up. Those usually give speed as well. I'm not to keen on mounting my phone just because of the slight chance of it getting knocked off or stolen when parked.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wasn't planning to disconnect the stock speedo. The extra speedo I'm looking at draws power independently (red/black wires) and has a separate signal wire (green). What kind of issues could that cause?
i thinking about the trigger wire feeding two speedometers, doesn't the trigger ( speed sensor) also go through the ecm, i don't like messing with ecms their components are sensitive. by adding another wire the resistance value will rise on that whole circut

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Another idea occurred to me... Could buy a used gps cheap (like garmin) and wire that up. Those usually give speed as well. I'm not to keen on mounting my phone just because of the slight chance of it getting knocked off or stolen when parked.
a gps is way more accurate. i put a tom tom one 20.00 on ebay between the risers. i glued a visor on it to block the sun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i thinking about the trigger wire feeding two speedometers, doesn't the trigger ( speed sensor) also go through the ecm, i don't like messing with ecms their components are sensitive. by adding another wire the resistance value will rise on that whole circut
Good point. I wasn't considering the ecu measuring resistance.

a gps is way more accurate. i put a tom tom one 20.00 on ebay between the risers. i glued a visor on it to block the sun.
I found a mount and hardwire adapter for $3 each on fleabay. :grin: Great idea on the visor! If this works well I may look for a newer model used because some of those have full speedometer displays.

·
Registered
101 Posts
AutoBoy Black Box (Android) GPS, Speedometer and also Dash Cam. And its Free.

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts