Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up a 06 vstar1100. I pulled the final drive and greased it up, all went well UNTIL I got to the rear axle retainer nuts. Now I wasn’t paying attention when I removed it, but should it be sitting flush? There is a small gap between the retainer and the frame. Also, if it is not supposed to be touching, what is the torque? I probably over did it. I went pretty tight.
Will this damage the threads or studs being over tightnened? I have found nothing on these bolts be it you tube or forums so I had to ask. I appreciate any input as I don’t want to be breaking this thing already.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts
I'm a little confused on your question. Are you talking about the four circled bolts? If so, yes the assembly sits flush with swing arm.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairs/tires the main axle nut is 77 ft lbs. there is a gap on the right side of the shaftbetween the swingarm and caliper bracket. the shaft is held in place by the cap with 2 nuts.there is a proper torque sequence to reinstall the rear drive assembly and axel nut you want to follow..scroll down a few paragraphs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, if those 2 retainer bolts are over torqued will this cause problems?
I did in the following order, tightened the 4 bolts on the swing arm, then the 2 retainer bolts and then the main axle nut to 77. It felt fine riding home from the shop. Is it likely the wheel is not on right after this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick, the gap I’m looking for is the other angle of that retainer. Mine has space between it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the moly at work, so I’m not worried there. I’m just worried about that retainer. 17ft lbs on those two nuts seems so minimal for how important it is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dot is pointing up, is that gap normal? And 17ft lbs on those two nuts is all that’s needed? I tightened them before the axle but because with out them being tight, the axle was spinning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts