Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
08 Yamaha road star xv1700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 roadstar has cobra pipes. Before I put my baffles back in it was back firing and popping real bad. I put the baffles back in and it still back fires. I’ve already put new spark plugs in it and it still does it. It was a California bike with all the omissions on it. I’m 3rd owner and the charcoal canister has been removed by previous owner but the AIS lines are still on. Not real savvy on fuel injections. Does anyone have any ideas on how I get rid of the back firing?

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,547 Posts
I have a 08 looks just like yours. I also have Cobra long shots and a Baron big air intake. I removed the ais. I also have a Vance and Hines Fuelpak. It has a throttle setting to shut the fuel off and when it turns back on. No fuel no pop. I would take off the ais, you don't hear the popping with a stock exhaust. I don't get any popping on deceleration. Nice bike. I used the Baron AIS removal kit. Or you could just pull the plug on the ais and see how it acts. Ours are electric activated.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Warrior engine is similar so I'll chime in. Yes, remove the AIS. Then, if you still have backfiring issues, a fuel tuner will help a lot. There should be another option called a CO bump. Each cylinder is tuned separately. I'm not familiar with how to do it on the Road Star but the Warrior requires "shorting" out wire 29 from the ECU to ground (there's a precise procedure, don't risk doing it without the procedure or you'll fry your ECU) and then some button pushing on the dash. This is common on the Warrior to help tune the fuel map in the ECU for when the throttle is closed. This will help to eliminate the backfiring during deceleration.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts