Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my V Star about 2 1/2 years ago and have been bikeless since. I just worked out a deal with a guy last night and will be meeting him today to pick up an '05 1100 Classic. Coincidentally, I woke up this morning to one of the auto-emails from starbikeforums saying I hadn't been around in a while, so I figured I'd drop back by. Anyways, he's done some performance mods to it and it only has 14,000ish miles. I'm planning to do some pretty serious body mods to it with the end result being a fully dressed out bagger.

I will post some pictures of the progress once I get started with all of that; but, I have a few questions, first.

Are there any mods that are just 100% necessary for the bike to run better, longer, more powerfully, etc.?

I don't want a nice looking turd, I want to build a solid running bike that looks good, too.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Hi and welcome back to the forum. We'd love to see those pics. To answer your questions, Corsair is the bona fide 1100 expert here. He's extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I ride a 650, and after pipes, and air filter changes, my lil bike is a lot quicker with better low end grunt. Feel free to jump in anytime. Ride safe and post often!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full exhaust and pods for sure. You may want to add progressive springs in the forks and rear shock. If you do the full exhaust, maybe go with a new cam set up also. Other folks will be along with their spin on things I'm sure.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

Here's a quote from his listing about what he's already done to the bike - I know it already has a full exhaust and I think he's re-jetted the carbs, too. I guess I should have included this information in the first post, my apologies.

"Has had recent 12k valve and oil service . New spark plugs, K&N air filter, oil filter relocation kit, Cobra pipes, stage 3 jet kit, saddlebags, highway bars, aftermarket seat, and has battery tender installed"

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Just post your CC# and some of us will be happy to shop for you. Corsair will take care of your exhaust needs, I like to buy new seats and bags. Some one else will do your bars...it'll be great! Welcome back :)

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Since Corsair will do the exhaust, and Annie will be doing the seat, ill volunteer to do the bars and air filter mods you'd like done. Just a way of saying "welcome back". See how we all work as a team?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since Corsair will do the exhaust, and Annie will be doing the seat, ill volunteer to do the bars and air filter mods you'd like done. Just a way of saying "welcome back". See how we all work as a team?

Such a loving place. In all seriousness, I'm probably going to get started on this project right away, at least some of the smaller items, anyways (bars, air filter, etc.) I just want to make sure I take care of any performance issues prior to spending money on the body.

·
Registered
458 Posts
pods woke my 1100 up pretty damn good. My buddy who has a warrior was playing chicken the other day and he didn't pull me for a change...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well she's in the garage!

Picked a great night to buy the bike, it was about 40 degrees and I had about 50 miles to ride on I35. Not fun.

I'm already in the market for a new seat. He has an aftermarket seat on it but I don't like how high/forward it sits so I'd like to find something that sits a lot lower and farther back. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey ducks toss a pic of the seat thats on it now just curious what it is. I know my mustang day tripper drooped me down an inch or so and back some what my wifes knees are right on me now compared to not with the stock sit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are 2 pictures from the ad that show the seat pretty well. I also don't like where the highway pegs are, they'll be relocated later today. My legs are too long for the way it's set up right now. I'm all the way up on the tank and I can't really straighten my legs at all even when using the highway pegs. Gonna have to work on it a bit. Oh well, they're all projects, right?

I ordered a Saddlemen Profiler today, hoping that will sit me a little further back and lower.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's a mustang seat if you hate it you could probably off load it for close to a day tripper new. Those things are around 450-570 new front and rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a mustang seat if you hate it you could probably off load it for close to a day tripper new. Those things are around 450-570 new front and rear.

I was doing a lot of research this morning on seats and had it narrowed down to the Profiler and the Daytripper. They looked very similar to me. I went with the Profiler, honestly, because it was the cheaper of the two.

Do you prefer the Daytripper to the Profiler? Have you tried both? Do you recommend one to the other? If so, why? I'm all ears. It may still be early enough to cancel and reorder a Daytripper if I made a mistake... And I do plan to sell this seat the minute the new one is installed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
here is some shots of how I mounted my fairing for you. Tried the PM route but they wouldn't attach.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's awesome. I'd like to eventually paint this entire bike flat black; but, I have no idea how to sand/paint tins and think it'd probably be cheaper to pay someone to do it than to buy all the equipment to do it correctly...

Yours looks almost exactly how I want mine to look, minus the red. I like the way yours looks, though. I think when I go flat black, I want to have some pinstriping done on the tank.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Man it's just john Deere blitz black. Clean garage 5 cans from tractor dealer and steel wool. Stuff is hard as nails and loons great really hard to screw it up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Man it's just john Deere blitz black. Clean garage 5 cans from tractor dealer and steel wool. Stuff is hard as nails and loons great really hard to screw it up.
Yes, good stuff. A lot of hot rodders use it too. You can buy it in quarts or gallons to use in a spray gun. That's what's going on my bobber.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you don't live in an EPA crazy state you can buy it by the can rattle can that is. It took a total of 9 to do my entire bike. I think they were 7 bucks each at the John Deere dealer. A tank and two fenders is about 6 or so.

I made sure to put 4 coats on everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts