Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 30 year break I've resumed riding. At the time I bought my V Star 1300 Deluxe I upgraded to a Mustang seat. This seat has worked out fine but now that I'm in my second season with my V Star I'm experiencing back pain. Unfortunately you can't just add a backrest to the Mustang seat - you had to have purchased it with that option right at the start. So....This week I'm testing an E.D. Seat with backrest. This seat is definitely more narrow in the front allowing me to get my feet to the pavement easily. I like the secure feel of this especially when the pavement is rutted from buses using the right-hand lane. However, and this could just be my imagination, it feels like the seat doesn't support me as much as the Mustang seat. I find myself leaning on my hands more and really notice this when coming to a stop where I'm moving my feet from floorboards to pedals and I need to stabilize myself using my hands more. Also I think having more weight on my hands alters how it feels to work the throttle and clutch. I'm planning to return the E.D seat but now the question is whether to try an Ultimate seat with backrest or to shell out the big bucks to purchase another Mustang seat this time with a backrest.
Any advice/experience/thoughts on Mustang vs Ultimate seats would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
609 Posts
After a 30 year break I've resumed riding. At the time I bought my V Star 1300 Deluxe I upgraded to a Mustang seat. This seat has worked out fine but now that I'm in my second season with my V Star I'm experiencing back pain. Unfortunately you can't just add a backrest to the Mustang seat - you had to have purchased it with that option right at the start. So....This week I'm testing an E.D. Seat with backrest. This seat is definitely more narrow in the front allowing me to get my feet to the pavement easily. I like the secure feel of this especially when the pavement is rutted from buses using the right-hand lane. However, and this could just be my imagination, it feels like the seat doesn't support me as much as the Mustang seat. I find myself leaning on my hands more and really notice this when coming to a stop where I'm moving my feet from floorboards to pedals and I need to stabilize myself using my hands more. Also I think having more weight on my hands alters how it feels to work the throttle and clutch. I'm planning to return the E.D seat but now the question is whether to try an Ultimate seat with backrest or to shell out the big bucks to purchase another Mustang seat this time with a backrest.
Any advice/experience/thoughts on Mustang vs Ultimate seats would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking for a new seat to replace the wretched stock seat on my '07 VS 1300 right now.

I had a Mustang (with backrest) on my prior XVS1100 and while it was comfy, it pushed me too far forward. I've got Mustangs on many of my other bikes (no backrest) and definitely like them. But for the VS the forward push is just too much for me. I end up in "junk on the tank" position and it's not comfortable.

Also looking at ED and Ultimate.

Curious to hear what you find.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
It sounds like you need a backrest to go with your existing mustang seat.

My cousin has a Honda 750/4 from the '70s. He found a back rest that slides on tubes on the sides of the rear fender. He can slide it all the way forward for him, or slide it all the way back for a passenger. It is completely over the passenger seat so there is no issue.

I dont know if you can find something like that for your bike and seat, but its worth a look. Wish I could tell you a name or brand to look for, but I dont know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts