Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a back tire noise like rubbing but just in one spot. thought it was the brake feelers so replaced those and I still have it. Had the bike on the stand and it was the same spot every revolution.
Any ideas

08 Strat

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Brake rotor bent? check the run out.Take the brake caliper off then spin the tire see if it's still there.Check the drive pulley make sure there isn't something lodged in one of the cogs. Just something to try hope it helps. Keep us informed curious minds would like to know.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Alignment

Rocknroll,

Have you checked the wheel alignment? Measure from center of axial to center of the swing arm. Although the brake rotor does sound more likely.

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gggrrr

I heard it Saturday night riding two up. put it on the stand today before the ride and nothing, then todays ride nothing, WTF thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I knew this forum is good but man fixed your bike just by power of thought lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did the noise ever come back? I seem to be getting something similar. Notice it if I coast to a stop with the clutch pulled in, you can sorta feel something grabbing or binding is how it feels, but in a very minor way.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pully nut

08midnight,

Check your front pulley nut. Big bucks if it comes loose and lets the shaft move over. Is covered on the linerwiki dot com. Take the outside screws off teh cover and rotate it down to look. If the stakes are ligned up with the groves it should be OK. I did not put a wrench on mine, I didn't want to break the staking or lock tight loose. There have been lots of them come loose.

If the rear wheel is not alligned the belt will rub on the rear pully side and make a noise.

Dave

·
Registered
389 Posts
How many miles? some liners have had rear wheel bearing problems, sounds like you should pull the wheel and check the bearings NOW as some have locked up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To me it seems more like a bearing noise than a rubbing belt, but I can check. If I take a look at the front pulley will it move around if there is a problem? I wish I knew someone locally that had a 'liner to compare, but don't see too many around san diego ever!

·
Registered
389 Posts
You simply take the cover off and you can see if the nut has moved where the dents are on the nut compaired to the grooves in the shaft. Do you have the YES warranty?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do you have a PRO rated Yamaha dealer anywhere near you, if you have then take the bike to them as some have had to have the swing arm replaced and wheel replaced because they could not get the axel out and the bearing spinning in the race.
There are four bearings in the rear wheel and this can be a serious problem if you let this go.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just bring them up on the internet and it will say Pro dealer, here in No. Calif Red Bluff Yamaha is a pro dealer which means there people are factory trained.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cool. Found one about 20 miles from here, I'll have to call them tomorrow, the service department closed at 6:00. Wonder how long they would have it in the shop...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Great, do not know how long but Yamaha knows about the problem.
If it works out that is the problem I'am glad I could be of help

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dropped the bike off at Motoworld El Cajon earlier today. The guys in the service department said they hadn't seen any problems with wheel bearings, but a few bad front pulleys. He said these bikes make noise if the belt isn't straight, but as far as I can tell, it's aligned correctly. Had it up on the jack with throttle locked at 25 in 2nd, watching the belt and pulley. It seemed perfectly centered and I didn't hear much noise with it in the air. I guess I just have to wait to see what they find out!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts