Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the Chrome WOLO Bad Boy air horn on my V-Star 950. Actually, I got it put on at the dealer. I KNOW it is super easy, it was there for an oil leak and they just did it real quick for cheap and didn't use the wire harness I bought

Worked great last 4 months. I asked if he put the extra fuse in, he didn't and said it wasn't needed and if it breaks, come back.:D

Anyway, I was driving today and hit it, it WORKS, BUT, sounds like only 1 horn is working, I don't hear the dual horn sound and it is much quieter.

Is this an electrical issue, OR, is it the horn is physically damaged?

Thanks

Not feeling very HORNy right now.:rolleyes:

Bandit...............

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess is the horn is touching something and not letting it vibrate enough.
2nd possiblilty is wiring is reversed on the horn itself. Sometimes reversed polarity causes no sound or a funny sound.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bottom of the Horn was/is touching resting against the lower Highway Bars by the rear brake pedal, but it IS wired correctly, as it has worked fine for 4 months.

Thanks for sharing possible issue!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like to me the horn may have an object like bugs or what not in the out put side.

thanks,
Delkster

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update and WOW, you guys are smart! I am NOT SURE what the issue was, but, today the Horn Worked Perfect! I did get stuck in some light rain for a very short time, and water could have gotten in the horn as the opening faces forward, BUT, I assume it was something lodged in there and it somehow came out.

Anyway, it Works!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have any pics of where and how they mounted it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the wollo bad boy horn mounted to the upper left OEM engine guard bolt. I made a bracket in the shape of an h out of some soft steel then drilled a hole on each end. one end mounts to the horn and the other end goes to the front bolt on the engine guard. you need to use a relay when wiring the horn or it will not sound very loud.

·
Registered
97 Posts
#1 reason to use a relay for the Wolo Bad Boy or the original Steibel Nautilus air horn is they pull a whole lot more power than the stock piece of crap that come on all bikes. Wire it properly with at least 14 gauge wire, a relay and a fuse. Don't use the crap plastic relay that comes with the wiring kit. Better yet, don't bother with the kit. Easy enough to make one up yourself.
Get a good quality automotive relay that is suitable for high powered driving lights, a good 15 amp pig tail fuse, some crimp or solder on connectors and a small roll of 14 gauge wire. If you don't know how to wire it, let me know and I can draw you a simple diagram.

You want that horn to get as much power as it needs. If you are using the stock bike wiring, which at best may be 16-18 gauge, you will end up frying the stock wiring as well as the stock horn relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts