Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my headlight.

The bulb is good. I've pulled the relay. I can apply direct power to the relay plug, and the light will come on.

With the relay plugged in, the light doesn't work. The fuse is good as well.

I've tried testing the relay, and it doesn't click or anything. I get anywhere form 97 to 99 ohms of resistance.

I'm at a stand still. I want to test the relays before I spend the $28 on a new one.

Anyone able to lend a hand?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looking at the 1300 schematic, it appears that: If you can activate the relay (brown and yellow leads) and monitor the contact leads (red & green leads), the resistance should be a few ohms. Deactivating the relay should change the resistance to infinity (open circuit).

·
Registered
418 Posts
90 ohms across closed contacts (a short circuit) is high. I would say more on the order of 3 or 4 ohms. Make sure that you put the meter leads together before testing the relay to ensure that the meter, leads, and battery are OK.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you put +12 vdc on the key terminal of the relay with the ground of your power source to ground on the relay, the relay should energize. With the relay energized the resistance across the other two terminals should be very low (0 to 5 ohms approximately). When you remove the +12 vdc, the ohm meter should have a high value because you are measuring across an open circuit.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
if the key (switch) terminal has power with the key on and the headlight terminal has no power the relay is bad. hold your finger on the relay when you energize it by turning the key on you'll feel the contacts close if it's any good. it's just a 4 pin relay that's used in many motor vehicle applications even one out of a junk car would work on your bike as long as the pin configuration is the same

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neither relay clicks, the fan or the headlight one so I ordered two new ones. They are spendy.

They'll be here Monday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brand new relays have been installed and the headlight still doesn't come on with the key. Once again, I can jump the connections using a spare peice of wire and the light comes on as it should.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
418 Posts
If the engine is not running, the headlight is not supposed to come on. It comes on once the engine is started.

The fan relay is not on the same circuit and it is thermostatically controlled. Therefore if the coolant is not hot, it will not come on.

Yes, the ECU is in the circuit for the headlight relay. The ECU provides a ground to energize the relay.

The voltage for the relay control coil comes from the "Signal System" fuse.

The "Headlight Fuse" only provides power to the contact side of the relay.

Do you have the where-with-all to take the relay out of the circuit and activate it with a voltage source and monitor the relay contacts with an ohm meter?

If you do, record your resistance across the relay with it energized and then with it not energized. Record your findings then, do the same test with one of the new relays.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Brand new relays have been installed and the headlight still doesn't come on with the key. Once again, I can jump the connections using a spare peice of wire and the light comes on as it should.

Any thoughts?

exactly which relay spades are you jumping is the relay not connected through the high/low switch if so if that switch go's bad the relay won't work. also check that the relay has a good ground wire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts