Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some help. My 2005 1100 classic is idling rough and white smoke is coming out of the front piston. A good bit at first but gets less after warms up. Takes a while to start up and sometimes dies while at idle. Still runs strong. Have ss custom intake and bub slash cut exhaust. Has been jetted.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Do you mean smoke coming out of the front exhaust? Or off the cylinder? Unless the engine is torn down, it's going to be hard to see smoke coming off a piston.

If it coming out of the exhaust....I'd start by tearing down the carbs to see if that is the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If that white smoke has a bluish tinge or smells like smoke
it could be worn valve guides or seals. Sitting overnight oil pools on top of cylinder making starting hard and lots of smoke. Later oil burns off mostly, but still rough idle. Compression would be reduced in that cylinder. If that's the case you can pull the head and check it. If it's valves, might as well do rings too. It's not much more work. Wavelength.

·
Registered
49 Posts
white=water and it's actually steam not much oder
bluesih=oil and it does smell
black=excess fuel and smells
^^^^^This.

If its straight white, it will smell sweet at the exhaust. kind of like syrup. Which is coolant leaking past the head gaskets. My advise to you is stop running it and replace the head gaskets.

Has it overheated on you yet? If not, then your probably good with just gaskets. If it has your gonna want to bring the heads somewhere and have them checked for warpage or cracks.

For the record, blueish white is valve seals/piston rings as was said. But to determine if its one or the other....

Valve seals will dispell blueish white at start up and will go away once the motor warms up. It will then puff out a cloud at every gear change. But no smoke will be seen while cruisng.

If its bad rings, It will smoke ALL THE TIME. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Ummmmm..... its kind of hard to have water in the exhaust with an air cooled bike.....lmao.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With that said I admit that I am totally new to the yamaha bikes..lol. I just figured the 1100s were water cooled because of the OPs descrition of the issue he has. So my appologies for that..lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts